Feeding cats tuna

dodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't buy them fish cat food anymore...First of all they preserve fish ( meat also but dosage is higher for fish) with ethoxyquin (which is actually a pesticide & isn't allowed for food for human consumption except some spices). And second of all, because there is a potential of mercury presence...

Of course I will never know if the cat food I now give my cats doesn't contain any of them, because for example meat/fish could be preserved with ethoxyquin even before they come to the manufacturer & so it may not appear on the label..But I try to avoid at least the ones I know !

Giving cat fish food occasionaly probably won't do much harm..But I wouldn't feed them with only cat fish food.

You can search for fish, mercury & ethoxyquin on the internet & make up your own mind !

cassandra_starr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok.. I made tuna casserole for dinner last night for Craig (I hate tuna casserole YUK). Well.. the instant I opened the can of Starkist Tuna.. I had all 3 boys at my feet meowing like mad. They were desperately wanting some tuna.

I was thinking maybe once a week I could feed them each a little bit... but before I do I wanted to find out if it was healthy for them? I know they love it and I love to spoil them but I don't wanna give them something that is bad for them.

Do any of you know if Tuna is ok for kittens? If so.. then maybe once a week they'll get a tuna treat!

Thanks in advance.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cassie, I merged your question with this post about 8 posts down from yours. It should answer all you questions.

cassandra_starr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doh Sandie sorry... I was in a hurry and didn't scan over the boards.. guess I should have. I'll go sit in the corner and take my punishment now! Sheesh what a dork I am :tounge2: