Feeding cats tuna

heather

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As most of you have experienced we ran out of cat food last weekend while we were out of town. My parents in law were babysitting Casey (my cat) and decided to feed her canned tuna in water.
Casey loved it and ate it all up, I must say her coat became very shinny and soft and the food change did not seem to bother her. One week later she now has diaheria
It seems to be getting better. Would tuna cause this? She is going to vets next week and seems to be eating (maybe a little less but it has been very hot out lately here in Ottawa, Canada) and drinking fine.

Please reply.

Thanks

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do know that canned people tuna is not good for cats. I don't remember why, but I'm sure someone here does. I wouldn't be suprised if her diarrhea is from that. Be sure to tell your vet about it when you go. Good luck. Sorry I'm not much help.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feeding tuna in moderation is okay. As a treat here and there is good. However the canned tuna can deplete vitamin E.

mofong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I remember reading that tuna once in a while is okay, but as a regular food it can do more harm than good. It does not have the nutrition that cats need, and too much mercury. Even feeding them a whole can will tweak their system. Usually, when I make tuna for myself, I let them lick the can. That is treat enough, and very funny, because they usually have a face full of tuna bits from the top of their heads, to their chins!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heather

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your feedback, I really love this site!!!

I will keep you posted on Casey's health!

julieb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Although lots of tuna is probably not good (for reasons discussed previously), I have a compromise for my tuna-lovin' cats.

Instead of pouring it down the drain, I sprinkly a bit of the water ("tuna juice") onto their dry food. It gives them the taste without upsetting their systems. My dog loved it, too.

Of course you have to remember that you did this and clean the bowl afterwards. If you forget, your nose will eventually remind you.

Julie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heather

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Casey is doing much better I do think her diahrea had to do with the whole can of Tuna she ate! Julie, I was happy to see another person from Ottawa!!!

dodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tuna is low in calcium & very high in phosphorous. It may cause yellow-fat disease, vit-E deficiency and may increase susceptibility to rubber jaw, a form of osteoporosis.

It's not harmful when you give it occacionaly, but feeding it regularly is a bad idea ! Tuna juice is usually used for appetite increasing when pets don't feel like eating, are sick etc.

Either for cats or for human consumption, I try not to give food which contains fish in it. First of all, because of the mercury they may contain. And second but more important of all, I have read that they preserve food for animal consumption with ethoxyquin (mostly fish), which is actually used as a pesticide. You may not even see it on the food label because the food manufacturer "actually" didn't put it ! I don't have to write it, but ethoxyquin has lots & lots of potential dangers.

I also don't buy cat food which is preserved with BHA and BHT, but vitamin C & E only. If you look at most of the "premium" cat foods labels, i.e. Science Diet, you'll see that they are preserved with BHA and or BHT ! They are cheaper, that's why most manufacturers use them, but are potential cancer causing agents and are potential causes of many other problems.

nena10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, alot of tuna is bad. How about cooked fish(salmon, trout, tilapla)? Are they bad? Also, people say onion is bad. if it is cooked in a soup or cooked together with other food. And the cat gets into it, would it be bad?

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any fish in moderation is okay providing the bones are removed. As for the onion...don't EVER give a cat onion powder. Onion powder is fatal in cats.

dodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Onions and too many garlic will make the cat anemic because they rupture cat's (also dog's) red blood cells. The effect is the same whether it's raw or cooked ! (So human baby food containing onion powder should not be given to the cat).

Also raw egg whites are dangerous for cats because they contain the protein avidin which breaks down vit. B in cat's body (therefore may cause hair loss, dermatitis & neurological dysfunction)

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been told to stay away from any kind of fish for cats. It can contribute to urinary tract problems.

dodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Raw fish might contain parasites etc. which is obviously not a good thing! Giving raw fish continually also causes thiamine deficiency.

I know that fish oil is very beneficient, even for animals (especially when combined with vit. E). So giving cooked fish (or fish oil) once in a while won't do any harm I guess. But because some fish are rich in vit. A, as liver, too much consumption might be bad !

illusion

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Garlic is bad for dogs? I've found many recipes for homemeade dog food that says to use garlic in it. We've been feeding it to our dog because we were under the impression that garlic was good for him!

dodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Garlic at high doses may cause anemia (Heinz body anemia) in animals... Look at what I have just found about garlic.

"The main component in raw garlic is alliin. But as soon as you crush or cut a clove of garlic, an enzyme called alliinase is released, converting alliin into allicin..Allicin, which gives garlic its odor, is a strong oxidant, that is, a chemical that creates free radicals, which in excess, can be dangerous. Allicin can cause stomach irritation and, in rare cases, hemolytic anemia, destruction of red blood cells. If placed directly on the skin, allicin can cause blistering. During cooking, allicin produces ajoene, DADS (diallyl disulfide) and other compounds that may help keep blood from clotting.

During aging, alliin and allicin are converted to water-soluble compounds such as S-allyl cysteine and S-allyl mercaptocystine, which have little odor, are stable and survive cooking. These are among the ingredients in "aged garlic extract" supplements and may help combat cancer and protect against heart disease.

Garlic also contains oil-soluble compounds like DAS (diallyl sulfide) and DADS which may have beneficial effects on blood pressure, lipids and clotting and may help prevent cancer."

barb0802

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone hear of any problems when giving cats shrimp? I feed them shrimp every day. It's cooked shrimp not raw.

Barb

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since we're discussing seafood, any opinions on canned mackerel? My one kitty loves it as a treat once in a while. She also loves the juice from the tuna can, I only buy the tuna packed in spring water, and she loves to lick up the juice.

dodo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mackarel is rich in vitamin A (like liver). So it shouldn't be given frequently, but only occasionally..

All fish get mercury from the water through their gills & as they feed from the aquatic organisms. (mercury can be in the vapor form & is soluble in water). Predatory fish such as salmon and tuna are exposed to more mercury because they feed on other fish...So they should be consumed only occasionally ( true for us also! Children shouldn't be given more than 1 can of tuna, salmon, shrimp, catfish, cod, crab etc. & pregnant women shouldn't consume swordfish or shark more than once a month ! Anyone watched the Dateline covering this subject ??)

o&p

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't realize fish was bad for cats!!!! Almost all of the food I buy for them is "fish flavored" b/c that is what they like-a lot of times, they won't eat the other flavors. They LOOVE people tuna too, but they only get that every now and then. Do you guys think that fish cat food isn't ok for them???