Feeding Cats Quail - Vomiting Bones?

plutosangel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

About a year ago, I began to transition my two cats off of kibble. First, I moved them onto a good quality canned food and then slowly brought on some raw meat. They HATE the ground raw diet but love regular raw chunks. I started with just small pieces of chicken meat, no bones and they seemed to love it so I slowly got them to eat chicken wings and now quails (whole) and rabbit, broken in pieces. Currently, their breakfast is canned food while dinner is generally raw. We're getting there.

Autumn has always been a cautious eater and she eats small portions - never overeats; eats her food slowly. Winter, on the other hand, is a bit of a gobbler - when he gets too hungry, he REALLY gobbles food down. A couple of times, he would throw up a hairball with some undigested bone on it - I really didn't think much of it - this has never happened with Autumn so I just assumed that it had to do with his gobbling. However, today, he threw up a lot of bone. Some looked like long ribs bones of a rabbit. They also looked a bit sharp.

The meat couldn't have been contaminated; it was very fresh and I had frozen it at -18 for a week before feeding them, to kill the pathogens.

Is this something I should worry about? Could sharp raw bones be a problem?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How long was it? I'm thinking pretty long if you could actually identify it as possibly a rabbit rib bone :eek2:. If that's what it was, i can see why he might vomit it back up. That boy needs to slow down a bit and chew his food. If he doesn't, my suggestion would be to smash those pieces up a bit more.

Could a sharp bone be a problem? I'm thinking possibly, if it's as big as a picture, but I honesty don't know. Not much help,am I? Did you try asking your Vet, just for the heck of it?

BTW, I LOVE their names !!