Feeding Cat Dry Food: Need Big Kibble Size!!

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I probably turn to this community faster than I turn to anyone else that I know that has cats, haha. That said, my cat Mika has started eating dry food again which is HUGE considering when she was sick all she would do is lick pate food and never eat chunks. Since she has been sick I've been reading a lot about the health benefits of feeding wet vs dry. While I still plan to feed her wet for the rest of her life, she's getting more calories from her dry food right now.

The vet put her on the Hill's prescription urinary health (c/d I believe?) dry food just to try. She LOVED it! I didn't want to keep her on that specific brand though -- a little pricy considering I don't want her diet to be fully dry kibble. I went out to get her a different brand and realized how small the other kibble is to the urinary health one! Mika doesn't even try to chew it either. She'll put it in her mouth and then let it fall out. (Part of me thinks she has a hard time getting the small food to her back teeth to chew but the vet has assured me multiple times her teeth are fine; she's only 3)

Any suggestions on high protein food, high calorie food that has large kibble size? That may be a stretch but a food thats not trash and has a large kibble size suggestions would also be appreciated!

Thanks for all the help, guys!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Ummm, other than keeping her on the Hill's (since she loves it, and with the thought that you'd be spending less, --relatively speaking, since you won't be feeding a lot of it), maybe Taste of the Wild? However I don't know if the kibble pieces are larger.

Some cat food manufacturers provide samples, or if you don't get a super lot of feedback here you could touch base with either/both chewy . com or Only Natural Pet . com and see what they know about kibble piece sizes.

Oh, by the way @Artistwolf discovered Tiki Cat Carnivore Chicken and Fish during a hunt for a high protein low carb kibble but here again, I don't know the size of the pieces in comparison to the Hill's.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tiki Cat Carnivore Chicken and Fish during a hunt for a high protein low carb kibble but here again, I don't know the size of the pieces in comparison to the Hill's.
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll reach out the companies to see what I can find out.

Also, it's funny you mentioned the TikiCat brand since thats the wet food I put her on that she's loving. Crossing my fingers that the kibble size is bigger in that case. :crossfingers:

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would advise Purina Focus Urinary formula, Puina One for urinary tract or Royal Canin SO (although that is on a par with Hill's C/D as far as cost).

I encourage you to either stay with a prescription formula or a non-prescription formula formulated for urinary tract health.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would advise Purina Focus Urinary formula, Puina One for urinary tract or Royal Canin SO (although that is on a par with Hill's C/D as far as cost).

I encourage you to either stay with a prescription formula or a non-prescription formula formulated for urinary tract health.
I went out and got her the Pruina One for the UT. I'm hoping the kibble is big enough!

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
From the photos I can see online, the kibbles seem to be a decent size. Let us know how it goes!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hills Science Diet Urinary Hairball is huge, all the Science Diet triangle shaped kibbles are gigantic. Crave is big, so is Purina Beyond. Purina One is really small though.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The new 4health Untamed from Tractor Supply-- I was surprised how big it is, but my cats don't do well on grain-free. You might have better luck.

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hills Science Diet Urinary Hairball is huge, all the Science Diet triangle shaped kibbles are gigantic. Crave is big, so is Purina Beyond. Purina One is really small though.
Yeah, the Hills that we have are big. I might just keep her on that. Do you have any idea of how long is acceptable to keep a cat on urinary tract food?

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The new 4health Untamed from Tractor Supply-- I was surprised how big it is, but my cats don't do well on grain-free. You might have better luck.
Oh good! I prefer for her to be on grain-free because she has had liver issues so having her on high protein is important for me!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make sure you get the one that says Untamed, the other versions are really small kibble. :)

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
You are wasting a lot of money with the Hill's c/d. A cat with urinary problems can only get better by eating wet food exclusively no matter what you see on the label and where you got it from. Pet food manufacturers don't care about what the best type of food is for cats with medical conditions.