Feeding After Neuter

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kitkat is 5 months old and had his neuter today. We dropped him off at 8 and picked up at 5. Unsure of exact time of surgery. At discharge they told us we could feed a small meal which we did (about 3/4 pouch of merrick kitten wet). Its now 9 pm and he is going crazy begging for more food.

Is it ok to give him back his dry food and free feed? He won't sleep because he is hungry I think.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I am NOT a vet but we were in the same situation after dexter got neutered. We gave him some laughably small amount of food per the vet after he hadn't eaten in almost 24 hours and he screamed and begged for more. We wound up giving him some more before we went to bed.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the vet tells you to hold back on food to make sure they dont vomit after the anesthesia, yes? Dexter was bouncing off the walls as soon as we got home and I never saw him even slow down from his surgery.

It's your call. You can give him the rest of his canned food. I personally wouldnt lay down his hard food just because I wouldnt want him to gorge and make himself sick.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am NOT a vet but we were in the same situation after dexter got neutered. We gave him some laughably small amount of food per the vet after he hadn't eaten in almost 24 hours and he screamed and begged for more. We wound up giving him some more before we went to bed.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the vet tells you to hold back on food to make sure they dont vomit after the anesthesia, yes? Dexter was bouncing off the walls as soon as we got home and I never saw him even slow down from his surgery.

It's your call. You can give him the rest of his canned food. I personally wouldnt lay down his hard food just because I wouldnt want him to gorge and make himself sick.
This is exactly what I'm dealing with!! He has so far broken every discharge rule with the only exception being getting his incision wet. He is chasing, wrestling, jumping. I keep telling him to rest and trying to cuddle him to sleep but he won't have it. :lol: I think I will give him some more wet food. Thanks!

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
There was no slow down for Dexter! I was sure he would rip his glue but he. Would. Not. Stay. Still. Nor would he wear a cone...he about hurt himself trying to get the cone off so I said, eff this and took it off...lol. He has been fine ever since. He got a pretty impressive little pooch within a month of his surgery but beyond that hasn't changed a bit.

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There was no slow down for Dexter! I was sure he would rip his glue but he. Would. Not. Stay. Still. Nor would he wear a cone...he about hurt himself trying to get the cone off so I said, eff this and took it off...lol. He has been fine ever since. He got a pretty impressive little pooch within a month of his surgery but beyond that hasn't changed a bit.
Lol we have the same cat, I think. Mine refused the cone of shame as well. I didn't realize males got a pouch too!

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dexter got his real quick. Emerson has one too but not as pronounced. Dexter's actually swings when he runs :paperbag:
:flail:oh man. I'll keep an eye out for that and thanks for sparing me from having to make a post asking if it is normal!

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gizmo was neutered the day I adopted him, although he was 10 weeks and not 5 months but they never told me anything about withholding his food! I think it would be alright to give yours more if he's being such a troublemaker about it. :lol:

Outmannedmama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gizmo was neutered the day I adopted him, although he was 10 weeks and not 5 months but they never told me anything about withholding his food! I think it would be alright to give yours more if he's being such a troublemaker about it. :lol:
He is such a sass.

Attachments