Feeding a FIV postive raw and home cooked - need help please

ralphscats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have eight cats, one of whom has FIV. I have checked with both my regular vet and a holistic vet about feeding raw. I have been feeding all of them a mixture of grain free canned, some grain free kibble as a treat, and raw.  As of two and a half weeks ago, we have completely eliminated the kibble. The raw that I feed has been treated with HPP. I don't feel comfortable feeding my FIV girl raw that hasn't been treated that way. I now would like to start making my own homemade to replace the canned. I would also like to make my own raw as feeding eight cats commercial premade raw is quite expensive and I need to cut down in my budget. 

I would like to use Bravo chubs because I know those are treated with HPP. Do you know of any other brands that treat their chubs that way?

I have tried in the past to grind my own, but it was a disaster. I am looking for a premix supplement. I am getting a bit confused on what I need. It seems like some have everything and some require the addition of fish oil. My cats do not like food when I add salmon or any fish oil. I do have one guy who will eat just plain salmon oil, but he's the exception.

My cats range in age from one and a half to twelve years old. I have some that would eat strictly raw, and some who aren't so sure about it. Hence why I've been feeding a mixture. What premixed supplements do most cats prefer?

I've also been looking at U-Stew. Any words of wisdom regarding that?

I really want to mix up the proteins. I have three cats that love beef and venison, so I am open to trying all different kinds of proteins.

Finally, for those of you who feed raw and homemade, what do you use for treats??

Thanks for any help. I really appreciate it.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Primal uses HPP as does Instinct and both, I believe, offer chubs or blends that you can add supplements or premixes yourself.

Not sure which premixes for raw / organ and bone are the most liked by cats - Alnutrin seems to have some popularity.

I use freeze dried meat treats - Bravo, Whole Life (which are cooked actually), Pure Bites occasionally.  Fresh is Best makes excellent freeze dried treats, I haven't tried them yet but have heard they are excellent. 

I only used UStew for cooked meats, it went over so-so with my two cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ralphscats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I will have to look for some of those brands that I haven't heard before. I wasn't sure about feeding the freeze dried treats. I will try them out though.
Thanks again for your help!

zylaai

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Ralphscats,

I currently use U-Stew for my FIV+ cat. I do not feed raw to him because of the risk of bacteria, which his immune system would not be able to handle. I do feed raw to my other cat, though. Venison and beef would be a great protein to use, especially since you can use any protein with U-Stew. Feel free to mix up proteins, variety is best, especially with cats (it lessens the chance of them becoming picky or finicky with food.)

I don't make my own treats right now but I am currently looking into buying a dehydrator and dehydrating meat, into chewy jerky for them. But commercial brands like PureBites and Instinct Raw Boost packets are pretty good.

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Primal has chubs that are HPP, I do believe though that you should consider using Lisa Pierson 's recipe. My Remy had FIV I fed him HPP treated raw and also used Piersons recipe , she cooks chicken and turkey thighs at 350 for just a little while before grinding. That kills surface bacteria which is the threat to an FIV+ cat. At first I used boneless and mixed it up in my food processor. Now I have a grinder and love it. I use Alnutrin when I mix boneless, my cats like it and when I grind bone in I mix my own supplement. I cannot remember Pierson's' url but, if you google Lisa Pierson DVM 'making cat food' you will find her.--You might consider feeding your FIV+ kitty freeze dried, that is very safe

Last edited: