Feeding a cat with inflamation

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I am taking my cat to the vet again. I am guessing she sometimes doesn't want to eat because of inflammation. Until then, is there something I can give her to feel better when that happens? She needs to eat.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Mouth or esophageal inflammation? General poor health affecting appetite? Without more info, I would say Gerber's baby food meats sitter 2nd foods. Gerbers is fine as there are no additives but if you buy an off brand, make sure it is additive free. Beechnut also is additive free. There are the Hartz Lickable Treats in Bisque and Squeeze Up as well. Petsmart was not that well stocked this morning when I went, but a lot of manufacturers are making those soft pureed topping or treats type food.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Call the vet if she is not eating. I see your point about specific foods not being suitable, but she has to eat. Urinary diet food in a wet form?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes,that's what I feed her. Very unfortunate that I cannot drive yet so I will call uber

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have used all 4 types of Gerber Stage 2 baby food, but the ones that have lasted the longest with Feeby is the chicken one and the ham one. They also have turkey and beef - so, you could try them all -if you can find all 4.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I took this pick for proof. I bring her food half hour not eating she walks farther back when I bring it. Other times she's ok
20210524_194359.jpg

Like she's afraid of the food!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She is obviously not feeling well - sometimes a cat will correlate that with their food, even if it has nothing to do with the food. It's like when they pee outside the litter box from pain, they correlate the box with the pain, not their body.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Now she is acting normal. Cancel? Or wait til it happens again

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm not sure. Depends on what all she is being treated for/with (besides urinary care food). Was she on any meds that are done now that might have been bothering her?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
She finished one for nausea but that was month+' ago. Also on Metoclopramide for throwing up. Done with that weeks ago but starting again. She sees him fri

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
So she is eating normally? If you think that this is a cycle that will keep repeating, I would go to the vet and update them.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Ya, it's a cycle. I keep thinking of my old vet. He would say not to worry about it. I never could get him to do any testing.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby (16+ yo, hyper-T, possible start of CKD, past history of UTIs) cycles through food spells. She can go for days and eat fine, and then have days where she eats terribly. Up and down, etc. Haven't found it to be a particular pattern related to any specific foods. She is supplemented daily with baby food meats, but she will also eat certain human foods as well. She probably gets close to 1/3 of her calories from foods other than her own.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I am waiting on results from urinalou she peed some in the carrier. Should I also wash her? It's not alot

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor baby! A soft warm damp cloth just to wipe the area might be enough. I always have on hand unscented hypo-allergenic pet wipes, cuz I never know when I might need one! :goodluck: on the test results!