Feeding a cat human baby food

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a foster cat who has a really sensitive stomach. Shes on grain free, corn free, Blue Basic kibble... but she does have intermittent soft stool.
(she has been checked at the vet for parasites, worms, FelV, FIV etc etc and they don't know whats wrong. They think its a food allergy or IBS).

I've heard about people feeding their cats human baby food, because it limited ingredient and easy on the stomach. I bought the chicken one and its literally "chicken and water" blenderized. She LOVES it, but my question is: do I have to refrigerate it right after opening? It seems weird that a food item that isn't refrigerated when I buy it.. should be refrigerated right after I open it.

She'll probably finish a small jar within 2 days, so does it NEED refrigerated?
I only ask because she is separate from my other cats in an area downstairs, and its just another trip for me to make to go upstairs, heat it, make sure its ok, and go back downstairs to give her it. I dont mind doing it, but if I dont have to its one less step.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's in a jar, that's why it doesn't need to be refrigerated before you buy it. But after the seal is popped and oxygen gets in, then bacteria start growing right away. The same as any canned/jarred food.

If it were just a few hours between feedings, it would probably be OK to leave it out, but I wouldn't risk leaving it out for 24 hours. Cats do have stronger stomachs than humans do but food poisoning isn't fun for anyone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's in a jar, that's why it doesn't need to be refrigerated before you buy it. But after the seal is popped and oxygen gets in, then bacteria start growing right away. The same as any canned/jarred food.

If it were just a few hours between feedings, it would probably be OK to leave it out, but I wouldn't risk leaving it out for 24 hours. Cats do have stronger stomachs than humans do but food poisoning isn't fun for anyone.
Okay, I dont want to risk her getting sick. It just seems crazy that just exposing it to regular air would cause bacteria to grow. But better safe than sorry I guess. Thanks for the reply.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long do you plan to feed this to her for? Not being complete and balanced for cats means this is not suitable for long term. Can your vet get her on probiotics or something to help the loose stool? Has she had a more comprehensive fecal check for more serious bugs like Giardia? One negative fecal check isn't always the final answer. How about metronidazole or something for the diarrhea? I am just worried she will love the human baby food so much and not want to go back to cat food.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might not mind it cold either. When I feed my cats canned food it sits out all day until she finishes it. Sometimes I even add water to refreshen it. It is fine. I wouldn't worry for a few hours, but don't leave it out for 2 days.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's more so that the jar is sealed in such a way that any bacteria in it was killed. Without oxygen no new bacteria is able to get in until the seal is broken. Once the seal is broken, bacteria from the air, surfaces in your home, etc enter the container. When you close the lid again, the bacteria is sealed in and able to multiply in the environment that is now warm, moist and isolated. The cold stunts bacteria growth which is why refrigerators keep food good longer but you still have a shelf life, it's just longer.

Baby food is meant to be a short term feeding option. It doesn't have complete nutrition and shouldn't be fed for more then a week or two at a time. It doesn't have all the nutrition a cat needs to thrive and survive.

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long do you plan to feed this to her for? Not being complete and balanced for cats means this is not suitable for long term. Can your vet get her on probiotics or something to help the loose stool? Has she had a more comprehensive fecal check for more serious bugs like Giardia? One negative fecal check isn't always the final answer. How about metronidazole or something for the diarrhea? I am just worried she will love the human baby food so much and not want to go back to cat food.
Yes shes has been on probiotics with no change. Shes had so many tests from the vet, including fecal tests. I just hate to keep taking her over and over because she always poops in her carrier and gets it all over herself :( and the vet cant find anything "wrong" with her. The vet did suggest benefiber because it thickens-up stool. So I'm mixing a *tiny* amount of that in the baby food. She is still eating the kibble and the kibble is nutrient complete, so dont worry. Yesterday was the first day I gave her the baby food with the Benefiber mixed in, and she did have a thicker stool this morning. I'll see about giving her cold baby food, she might not mind. Ypu're right, leaving it out for 24 hours would probably be bad. Thanks for the response!

RangersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's more so that the jar is sealed in such a way that any bacteria in it was killed. Without oxygen no new bacteria is able to get in until the seal is broken. Once the seal is broken, bacteria from the air, surfaces in your home, etc enter the container. When you close the lid again, the bacteria is sealed in and able to multiply in the environment that is now warm, moist and isolated. The cold stunts bacteria growth which is why refrigerators keep food good longer but you still have a shelf life, it's just longer.

Baby food is meant to be a short term feeding option. It doesn't have complete nutrition and shouldn't be fed for more then a week or two at a time. It doesn't have all the nutrition a cat needs to thrive and survive.
Okay great, thank you! (and she is still eating her kibble which is nutrient complete)