Feed me! Feed me!

jamesrmar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello; Farley cat is our 8 year old neutered male. We make sure that he has dry food and water available to him at his eating area. 2 times a day (morning & evening) we also feed him 1/2 small can of "Whiskas" (varied kinds). 2 or 3 times (not days) a week the canned food may not be available so he will be fed a larger portion of dry food or occasionally canned fish if we have it.
THE PROBLEM:
The last while (somewhere between 3 - 6 mo.) he is wanting to be fed 4 or 5 hours after he is fed (canned food), even with the dry food in his dish at the time. Sometimes he is more insistent than other times. I've been wondering if he might have intestinal worms(?).
I'll mention a few things about his enviroment that may help perhaps. His sleeping hours are mostly spent inside, but he is an out-door cat. He has always left his "hunts/kills" at the back door (I actually saw him just last week, for the first time, 'finish off' a mouse - tail & all). He is not a people cat at all; hates to be picked up or held, and except for the times just before eating, he would rather NOT be petted, although a nice scratch is welcome sometimes under his chin or ears. He does like to be 'close' to us though - 5 nights a week or so he likes to sleep on the bed, or hangs around us when one of us is outside puttering around the yard.
Another possible reason for his hunger may be his new companion; our 1 year old n. male "Kobe". They get along great; sleep together, groom each other and Kobe has even given Farley more spunk by playing with him. I'm just thinking that Farley might feel that he may get less food, so he makes sure he doesn't by always wanting to eat all the time(?). Kobe never asks for food except at feeding times and eats more dry food and less canned food than Farley does.
I don't know what else I can say about the situation, but the constant yearnings that Farley has to eat whenever he is awake doesn't seem right. Before the new cat (Kobe), Farley asked for food (canned) at odd times, but never as often as it has been the last few months.
I would greatly appreciate 'any' helpful ideas, but I hope that "take him to the Vet" isn't the 'only' response. Thanks for the great web site and opportunity to share. - Jamey

patsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wet food is primarily water and does not keep an animal full very long. If you leave some wet food out overnight outside, look at it the next morning and you'll be surprised to see what actual "food" is left. I mix the wet food with the dry for my cats. They appreciate the moistness and extra flavor of the wet, but they also like the crunch of the dry. Feeding them together keep the cats full longer. Make sure you're feeding a quality food. The generic and store brands are mostly fillers and lack the necessary protein and fat to keep your cat full for longer periods of time.

Also, just because Farley is crying for food it doesn't mean he's really starving. He's most probably a bit spoiled by the canned food (that can happen). Cats will train you if you don't watch out. I leave dry food available for my cats all the time and then give them the mixed food twice a day. But, I can garauntee you that when I walk into the kitchen, a couple of them will always be begging. I've learned that if you give them something everytime they beg, they have you trained to give them food on command. Bad habit to get into and even harder to get out of!

Also, make sure the dry food you're offering Farley is something he really likes. I have a lot of cats. At any one time I have 6-7 different dry food available because they don't all like the same thing. I know some people have the philosophy, "They'll eat it if they're hungry". Well, I don't like forcing my cats to eat something they don't like. I wouldn't want to be forced to eat what I don't like! The downfall of giving them what they like is that some like the real expensive stuff. I have some that are absolutely hung up on Royal Canin Senior. I don't know what they put in that stuff, but even the young cats like it. I've learned that they really flavor enhance the senior and lite formulas.

And last, but not least, you should take Farley to the vet for a check up. If you can't handle him, put some tuna in the back of a large carrier and when he walks inside, close the door behind him and apologize for the trick. HA! All cats, no matter if they are indoor or outdoor, should go to the vet at least once a year for a checkup. There are so many ailments that can go undetected without a vet exam and without proper treatment, turn into major illnesses.

Good Luck