Fed half a raw chicken neck and he hasn't pooped since. Do I worry?

justwillow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

My cat is 3 years old and he currently gets a combo of wet and dry food every day. I did some research on raw chicken necks for dental care and thought it was a great idea.

I bought a bag, froze them, and defrosted one in the fridge. I gave him half of one (about 1.5 inches long) alongside his wet food. He's never had raw food or bones before and I carefully supervised to make sure he didn't swallow it whole. He chomped away like a pro (some of the crunching noises startled me but his teeth seem fine) and ate it without choking or puking.

However, he hasn't pooped since, and it's been 24 hours. Was 1.5 inches of bone too much? Should I just wait it out? He hasn't shown any signed of constipation like straining, vomiting, etc. He's been eating, playing, and peeing like normal today. I was going to give him the rest of the chicken neck today but maybe I should wait and see if he poops?

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Sounds like he’s fine. My cat on raw doesn’t poop every day, more like every two or three days. I wouldn’t worry unless you see him straining without pooping or scooting.

Half a raw chicken neck once a week for dental health should be fine.

It’s amazing how they crunch down those bones!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

justwillow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the responses! He just popped and it looked normal so I was definitely worrying for nothing.

I gave him the second half of it and he loved it just as much (can't believe such a little creature can just crush bones!) Eventually I'm going to give a whole chicken neck once a week or so, but I wanted to start with half to ensure he didn't react poorly.