February 2023 Book of the Month Club. Choose Your Own.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
hello-february-vector-background-cute-lettering-banner-with-clouds-and-hearts-illustration.jpg

Choosing your own book to read seems popular in the book club so for February we have decided to do it again. The book can be any genre by any author, whichever takes your fancy, a new read to you or an old favourite.

The reading period will be from February 1st to 21st with discussions commencing February 22nd.

We'll be providing questions to help readers critique their chosen book should you want a more structured review but you can also free write, whichever you prefer.

All are invited to join in as always and we look forward to seeing the variety of books read.

Hopefully that covers everything but feel free to ask any questions you might have.

If you wish to post the title and author of your chosen book, please do so.

Last edited:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear - I was hoping someone would make the decision for me! :disappointed:
but........ I do have 2 Nicci French books and one by Charlotte Link waiting to be picked up, read and disposed of! I've read plenty by Nicci French, but Charlotte Link is new to me. None of them will be difficult reads so I may manage to read all three as I will certainly finish January's books today. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry to hear you aren't well. Look after yourself and read your choice when you are ready, plenty of time.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*Just a bit of a rant*
I don't like books written in first person. For some time I've been having trouble finding a book NOT written in first person. I just borrowed one from the library that sounded interesting...yep, first person.*I* this *I* that and *I* the next thing. Doesn't anybody know how to write anything else anymore?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
misty8723 misty8723 . You are not alone, there are quite a few sites about this but if you google 'shop books not written in first person' there is a list, maybe you'll find one to read this month.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As I read quickly, I will finish more than 1 book in February, so will probably write little reviews for all of them. Not sure which they will be yet, other than for sure Pamela Anderson's new memoir Love, Pamela, so at least one of my books will be non fiction.

Looking forward to seeing what everyone else reads.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 : I find it fascinating that you reread your favourite series so often. You certainly get good value for the money you spent on them.

misty8723 misty8723 : There do seem to be a lot of novels written in first person lately. Hope you'll find one that isn't, and interests you, so you can join us in February.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 : I find it fascinating that you reread your favourite series so often. You certainly get good value for the money you spent on them.
I really do! I read the entire Miss Fortune series every time a new book comes out. I'm a serious binge reader. I love to immerse myself in a world that an author created, and let the entire storyline(s) unfold organically. Also, I do not keep books that I do not want to be able to re-read, and there are now nearly 1500 books in my house. I desperately need to win a lottery, just for more book space! OH, and that doesn't count the books I have on my Kindle. If I REALLY love an author, I buy in print, so I can read in the bath tub, hug the book, tote it around with me. I do try new authors on Kindle, though. You should see my library! Every book that is part of a series has a numbered label on the spine. If an author has more than one series that I collect, there is also an abbreviation of the series name, for instance, I have MsF 1-23 (Ms Fortune) and GIL 1-6 (Ghost-in-Law) for Jana DeLeon. I bought a program, AllMyBooks, that allows me to enter books, mark them as Wish List and read/unread. I list them by author, alphabetically, and since the program doesn't differentiate for multiple series, I enter the "MsF 1" on the second line, which is a title line that allows you to change/add things, so they are all listed there by series AND position, as well. I can also flag a book as loaned out, with the name, date, and contact info. I'm a little OCD about the books, LOL. END SMALL RANT

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its the beginning of a new month and time to start the February book which this month is Choose Your Own. If you wish to mention your choice that's fine or leave it to review time, read more than one if you have the time.

Listed below are set questions for those who prefer to answer them but free writing your review is fine too, you could do both if you choose to.

What book did you read?
Title / Author / Standalone or Part of a Series / Brief Synopsis

Why did you choose it?
Favourite author / A book you'd been wanting to read /
A book you wanted to re-read / A book recommended by another reader

Were you pleased with your choice?
Was it as good as you expected or a disappointment?
Was it a fast read or a challenge to get to the end?
Would you recommend it to other readers?
If part of a series, do you plan to read the next one?
If standalone, would you read another book by the author?

What was the format of the book?
Hardcover / Paperback / E-book / Audio Book

How did you acquire the book?
Already owned it / Bought new / Bought used / Borrowed from library

What did you think of choosing your own book to read this month?
Would you like to do this again, on occasion?
Or do you prefer to have the choice announced, and everyone read the same book?

As usual the reading time is until 21st followed by discussions starting 22nd.

Happy Reading.