February 2022 book of the month club - The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have just read the first 50 odd pages. Not my style of writing at all! And I'm certainly not hooked on it. If I can find a cheap, secondhand copy, or borrow it from a library I will certainly try to finish it - but it's not a book I particularly want to own. Sorry!
No need to be sorry, at all. No book will appeal to us all. And already you've read enough that you will be able post something when we start to discuss it. And if you can borrow a library copy, or buy a super cheap copy, and be able to finish it, all the better.

Not all books suit everyone, at least you given it a go.
Ditto.

LOL, I almost look forward to a book that isn't really "my Thing." I push my way through, sometimes out of sheer stubbornness, and consider it a good way to stretch my boundaries. Sometimes I surprise myself and quite like something I started out VERY indifferent about! And there have been a couple of books that I had to force myself to finish, but once done, realized that I had quite enjoyed the story in retrospect. It's always fun to discover books like that.
I'm also stubborn and once I start a book, I will almost always try to finish it. I might start skimming, but will get to the end eventually.

About this book, I'm quite curious to see what I'm going to think of it. I still think the description sounds interesting, so I'm going to be disappointed, if the book, well, disappoints.

I've been trying not to read much about it, so as not to get spoiled, however, I think it's been made into a movie.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I made a hold at the library so we'll see when I get it.

I have just read the first 50 odd pages. Not my style of writing at all! And I'm certainly not hooked on it. If I can find a cheap, secondhand copy, or borrow it from a library I will certainly try to finish it - but it's not a book I particularly want to own. Sorry!
I noticed when I was trying to find it on hoopla the author has written several graphic novels. When you say the writing is not your style, is it more comic booky? Just so I know to have it in my head if it is.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I made a hold at the library so we'll see when I get it.

I noticed when I was trying to find it on hoopla the author has written several graphic novels. When you say the writing is not your style, is it more comic booky? Just so I know to have it in my head if it is.
Not grahic, or comic - a normal book! I won't say any more yet!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've just ordered the PDF version (very cheap) so hope it is not a fraudulent company. I'll do my best to finish the fairytale/fantasy? Can't promise anything.
No worries. This isn't school, so you don't have to worry about getting a bad grade if you don't finish it. ;)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1643718291313.png

Happy February Fellow Readers! It's finally time to start reading "The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue".

Our first chance to read this book was when it was a choice in the September 2021 Book Club voting poll. It didn't win, but since it came in 2nd place, we kept it as a future book. And though neither I, nor my behind the scenes cohorts are sci fi/fantasy fans, we know some of you are, therefore want to occasionally choose from the genre.

Even though a couple readers have already started the book, and subsequently posted that they weren't enjoying it and might not continue reading, I'm still hopeful that most of us will like it.

That said, no one will like every book we choose, and there will be other months and other books. In fact, the March book will be announced in a couple days.

But right now, for those of us who haven't started reading it yet, lets dust off the book or charge our e-reader, and find out why Addie LaRue is living an invisible life.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got an email two days ago telling me my book was due today and I couldn't renew it because there are holds so I've been buckling down at naptime, bedtime, and early in the morning and have gotten from page 100 to 370 and should finish at naptime today. I'm really enjoying it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sorry that you've had to speed read at the end, Lari Lari , but since you're enjoying it, perhaps you would have ended up reading just as quickly even if your book loan wasn't expiring.

I have about 50 pages left in the book I'm currently reading, and then will start Addie. I had to borrow it a few days ago, or I'd have been pushed to the back of the line again, so I'll have a bit less than the full 3 weeks to read it, but should still have more than enough time.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry that you've had to speed read at the end, @Lari, but since you're enjoying it, perhaps you would have ended up reading just as quickly even if your book loan wasn't expiring
I got it done and returned. J woke up from nap about three pages from the end so let her mess around with my headphones so I could finish.

I think as I got father in the book, I would have wanted to read more at a sitting, but I also would have liked to savor it a bit more. But I'm glad I read it.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I just requested it from the library, it's available, but it's snowy arctic weather here now so I'm having them send it to the library near me. It should be there in 2-3 days for me to get.
I'm anxious to start it and see what I think. Haven't read sci-fi for a bit.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My copy is due tomorrow so I'll start it in a week or so.
That's good that it's available. And as you're a quick reader, you shouldn't have to rush to finish it before it needs to be returned.

I got it done and returned. J woke up from nap about three pages from the end so let her mess around with my headphones so I could finish.

I think as I got father in the book, I would have wanted to read more at a sitting, but I also would have liked to savor it a bit more. But I'm glad I read it.
Glad J kept herself occupied while you finished the book. And I know what you mean about reading more slowly and savouring it, as that's how I felt when I had to speed read the latest Outlander book in order to finish before the e-book loan went poof and disappeared.

I just requested it from the library, it's available, but it's snowy arctic weather here now so I'm having them send it to the library near me. It should be there in 2-3 days for me to get.
I'm anxious to start it and see what I think. Haven't read sci-fi for a bit.
Glad you're able to get it. I'm anxious to start it too, and probably will either later today or tomorrow.

I'm having a problem getting it. 319 on the Ebook hold list and checked out from my library with a short
hold list so I'm on it.
Fingers crossed the short hold list on the actual book goes quickly, and you get it sooner than expected.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I had planned on ordering the book on kindle, but when I went online, I found that I could get the hardcover, a silk ribbon bookmarker, a note from the author and something else for $6 more. Ok, sure. And I prefer print, especially at a good price!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like a good deal, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 . :)

I started reading it last night. Only read 1 chapter so far, but was surprised to see it's 498 pages long. Guess I'll have to read more than 1 chapter a day, if I'm going to finish it before my library loan runs out.

Last edited: