February 2022 book of the month club - The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For February we're returning to the Sci Fi/Fantasy genre, with the book that came in second place in our September 2021 poll.

The book for February 2022 is
The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V. E. Schwab

1627491884349.png

We will be reading it between February 1st and February 21st.
Discussion will begin February 22nd

Everyone is invited to read along with us.
You can RSVP by posting in this thread.

Reviews can be read at Goodreads: The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue

That should cover everything, however, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh good! It's on my list of To Read.
Excellent. :thumbsup:

I'll admit, I've been itching to read it, since it was one of the September poll choices. Hopefully it will live up to my anticipation.

Oh, I did want to read this one! Maybe this will get me reading again! (I only got through Discworld #2 before December hit and things got busy).
I remember you mentioned you wanted to read it. Now you have no excuse. :evilgrin:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm unsure about this one.. I'll look into it. :)
Hopefully it will be interesting enough to keep you reading to the end. And even if you don't finish it, be sure to post again during the discussion to let us know you how far you got, and what you thought.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably not for me. One reviewer said, "It was literally like Schwab was taking an ice pick to my heart and slowly chipping pieces away through the entire story." This person gave it a 💮💮💮💮💮 review. It sounds like a painful read and not something I would enjoy.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Probably not for me. One reviewer said, "It was literally like Schwab was taking an ice pick to my heart and slowly chipping pieces away through the entire story." This person gave it a 💮💮💮💮💮 review. It sounds like a painful read and not something I would enjoy.
Reviews are so subjective. The book could well have just touched on something that created that emotion, while others wouldn't find that at all. I'm amazed at the number of books that have a few really ghastly reviews and I think 'were we reading the same book'? And vice versa, of course.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Reviews are so subjective. The book could well have just touched on something that created that emotion, while others wouldn't find that at all. I'm amazed at the number of books that have a few really ghastly reviews and I think 'were we reading the same book'? And vice versa, of course.
Certainly true. I have read reviews that must have been from some other book than the one I read! :p

I read over twenty reviews of this book on Goodreads and scanned 20 others and it does not look like a book I would enjoy. Many people loved this book for reasons that do not appeal to me. The ones who disliked it mentioned several of my pet book peeves. I will sit this one out.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I understand not wanting to read something you feel you won't enjoy, Boris Diamond Boris Diamond , but still sorry to see you won't be giving
Addie Larue a chance, as that means you won't have anything to add to our eventual discussion. We won't all like every book, and actually if people don't like a book, that would make for a more interesting discussion. But also understand most of us avid readers have lengthy to-read lists, so can't waste time reading books that don't interest us. Hopefully our March book will be more to your taste.

I do agree with mani mani , though, that reviews are subjective, so for that reason, plus my worry about getting spoiled, I don't read them until I've finished the book.

My library has 65 copies of the e-book, and only 5 not borrowed, so going by that, it seems to be popular, at least in my neck of the woods.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 : Having trouble interpreting your post. Is it already on your Kindle? Or are you planning to buy the Kindle e-book version? Either way, hope you'll be joining us.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 : Having trouble interpreting your post. Is it already on your Kindle? Or are you planning to buy the Kindle e-book version? Either way, hope you'll be joining us.
LOL, so did I, rereading it. No, I'll order it on the 2nd of next month from Kindle, after the check arrives and the bills are paid.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugh, hoopla only has the audiobook. I'll have to see about getting a physical copy from the library. Which are all checked out. So I guess I'd better put it on hold now once I remember my login information.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have just read the first 50 odd pages. Not my style of writing at all! And I'm certainly not hooked on it. If I can find a cheap, secondhand copy, or borrow it from a library I will certainly try to finish it - but it's not a book I particularly want to own. Sorry!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, I almost look forward to a book that isn't really "my Thing." I push my way through, sometimes out of sheer stubbornness, and consider it a good way to stretch my boundaries. Sometimes I surprise myself and quite like something I started out VERY indifferent about! And there have been a couple of books that I had to force myself to finish, but once done, realized that I had quite enjoyed the story in retrospect. It's always fun to discover books like that.