February 2022 book of the month club - The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I was fascinated by the book description on the inside cover and was glad it was chosen. I know a few people who read it but never talked with them about it and it was on my list to read.
Big story of "watch what you wish for, you just might get it..." with pretty harsh additions- can't undo it. But it's from the "gods who answer after dark."

I really enjoyed it. I also saw some things that weren't perfect but I'm not sure I've ever read a book that I thought had no shortcomings.
I liked the writing, the prose, with the small descriptions of everyday things.

I felt that either Addie would give in to save Henry, or Henry would give in to save Addie, didn't know which. I'd forgotten that Henry only had a year till the very end. I hoped they would both be set free somehow but figured that that was too easy of an ending for the author to do. So, in my mind my ending beyond the book is that Addie outsmarts Luc in about 2 weeks and then Henry and Addie live happily ever after while they are still young! Addie found several cracks in Luc and in 300 years she learned how to get around people. And his anger seems to blind him sometimes. I felt like his obsession with her was a weakness in him- gods aren't infallible in Greek, Roman mythology also. And though Luc said deals can't be changed he did change this one to "as long as you(Luc) want me(Addie)."
I needed a happy ending.

I was glad Book got to be in a home instead of just the bookstore (though that seemed like a pretty good deal)- he could cuddle up at night with a hooman, be on a lap anytime etc.

I also liked the addition of artworks inspired by Addie. That was pretty cool.

I was surprised by the affair of Luc and Addie for that period in New Orleans or all over or wherever, but people can be drawn to darkness in spite of themselves.

I wasn't sure at all why Henry recognized her, but it was good to have that turn of events.

So I'd give it 5 stars, because of the story and the writing and how much I enjoyed it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SO...our author is 23 years old, and decides to move out of her parents' home to write her second book, while awaiting the publication and release of her first. She finds herself in England, living in a garden shed owned by a former prison warden. An unheated, unlit garden shed, that she shares with a spider named Bob. The friend she moved there to be with has, in the meantime, run off with some boy, leaving her quite on her own, other than some very "iffy" housemates (she had use of the house during the day, only going to the shed to sleep). One of the housemates travelled all over England for her job, and offered to take our author with her. On one of her trips, she dropped (what the HECK does "V" stand for???) off in a small town in the Lake District. And she began to walk. She walked as the world that she knew fell away, and she reached the top of the rise, where the world spread out beneath her, and there, she met Addie LaRue for the first time, or, at least, the germ of her. A Peter Pan in reverse. A girl who remembered everything, but who was remembered by no one. She says that it took 10 years for Addie to come fully to life, and to begin to share her story. I am so glad that she did!

I wasn't sure at all why Henry recognized her, but it was good to have that turn of events.
~waves hand wildly~ I KNOW, I KNOW! It is because both Addie and Henry were under the same curse by Luc. The details were different, but both sold their souls for something they desperately wanted!

My only real issue with this story is the "Beware of the gods who answer after dark." Some of those gods are perfectly lovely, just as some who answer in the light can be real bugabears. However, for the purpose of the telling of the story, I'll happily accept this and let it go.

They say that gods are kept alive by their believers, and it almost feels as if Addie brought Luc to life with her drawings, and with her long, imaginary (maybe) conversations with him. "Tell me about tigers," with every line on paper, every imagined conversation, she built him out of the stuff between the stars, until he became real, or so it seemed to me. And he offered her exactly what she wanted...true, real freedom. Like all such offers, there is a catch. And hers is that no one remembers her once she is out of their sight, even for a moment. She can't even speak her own name. Can you imagine that at all? My, God, what a catch that is! And, yes, you would become a thief. How could you ever hold a job? Earn a day's pay? I'm sure that catch was meant to deliver her into Luc's hands sooner, rather than later. LOL, I'll tell you right now, the gods need to be careful with women...we are far stronger than one would credit! Watching Abby grow and thrive under truly horrid conditions was just amazing.

And as we follow Addie through four hundred years, the present and the past blending together like a rich, wonderful sauce, we are never quite sure what Luc really is...god? Devil? Some imaginary construct of the mind that has real power, nonetheless? And I am still wondering that.

I will say this in closing...When I read the dedication page of Henry's book, "I remember you," first I wept, then I knew that somehow, someway, Addie LaRue would be just fine.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wasn't sure this was going to be a book I would enjoy but within a dozen pages I was hooked. My only complain is that I would have liked the chapters set in different time to have been longer as I felt it jumped backwards and forwards too much. Having said that I was intrigued by the story and where it would lead.

I could understand the desperate situation Addie felt she was in, not ready to marry, not being in love with her future husband. She was too young and naive to fully understand the deal she made in selling her soul.

One thing I didn't understand was why in some cases she was instantly forgotten such as the knife incident whilst other times she was remembered longer as in James waking and remembering the tune on the piano. I felt sad for her when she had a lovely night with Remy only for him to offer her money in the morning and seeing her mother 50 years later and not to be recognized.

What a terrible life to lead, no-one to recognize you, no friends or money, no wonder she looked forward to the anniversaries when Luc appeared.

I wondered how Henry could remember Addie when no-one else could but didnt suspect he had also sold his soul. I loved their relationship and the experiences they had, being able to draw using Henry's hand, words not disappearing.

I also enjoyed the relationship between Addie and Luc and the changes over time from loathing of him to enjoying his company.

Clever ending with Addie outsmarting Luc (or did she I wonder) and Henry being able to leave a mark in the world for Addie. I would have liked to have had Luc release Addie but couldn't see that happening.

Considering the vast timescale of the story I felt it flowed well.

I give this book a well deserved⭐⭐⭐⭐ +

I googled people who had supposedly sold their souls, quite a few well known names.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
I enjoyed it, but it's probably not going to be one I re-read over and over like some of my books. I was relatively pleased with the ending - I was very happy that none of my favorite characters died (that pretty much can ruin a book for me!). Interesting reading about the different reactions Addie received throughout the years due to her gender and apparent youth...really good way to illustrate the changes our world has gone through!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One thing I didn't understand was why in some cases she was instantly forgotten such as the knife incident whilst other times she was remembered longer as in James waking and remembering the tune on the piano.
There is a very brief passage where James says that he would wake up and find music and lyrics written on odd bits of paper. I almost missed it.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, baby is in bed and I have my laptop and two hands (I should probably also vote in the photo contest, lol).

I loved this book. It was a little off putting at the beginning being written in present tense rather than past tense, but I was sucked in pretty fast. I loved the short chapters, because I was more likely to be at the end of one or close when the baby would wake up and cry for me, lol.

The farther I got, the more I could see the writing on the wall where it was going - Henry, being cursed, only having a year, was Addie going to sacrifice herself for him? The ending was actually better than anticipated. I knew it wasn't going to end up in a happy little Addie and Henry bow, so the way it ended up was satisfying.

After reading the articles linked, I really did like how restrained the author was about where Addie ended up. I know I would have been tempted to put her all over the world because I would travel the world if I could live forever, but with Addie's personality, especially near the beginning, her staying put made sense.

This is probably the most engrossed I've gotten in a book in quite some time. I loved the banter between Addie and Luc, I liked watching her figure out the curse and how believably she grew throughout. I liked that there was a cat. Thanks for making this a book of a month so I got off my rump and actually read it.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
pearl99 pearl99 I also thought that Henry would sacrifice himself for Addie even though he had already struck a deal with Luc.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 . I agree that Luc had set the deal to make life as difficult as possible for Addie to live, having to steal to survive, paying for a room only to be forgotten and thrown out, with the intention that she would give up her freedom in a short period of time.

laureen227 laureen227 . It was interested to read how attitudes changed over the years, how life to a certain extent became easier and people more accepting.

Lari Lari . Like you, it took me a couple of chapters to get into the book but was soon hooked and was ok with the ending.

I would still like to know if Addie finally became free of Luc and if so, how long it took.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was fascinated by the book description on the inside cover and was glad it was chosen.
That book description caught my attention the first time I read it, so I knew eventually we'd read it in the book club, and am glad so many of us enjoyed it.

I will say this in closing...When I read the dedication page of Henry's book, "I remember you," first I wept, then I knew that somehow, someway, Addie LaRue would be just fine.
I really liked the author having Addie's life be told via Henry's book, and I wept lots of tears at the end as well.

I googled people who had supposedly sold their souls, quite a few well known names.
Interesting. Guessing the ones mentioned in the book were included in the list you found.

Interesting reading about the different reactions Addie received throughout the years due to her gender and apparent youth...really good way to illustrate the changes our world has gone through!
Yes, times have certainly changed over the centuries, and in most countries, things have improved considerably for women.

I liked that there was a cat. Thanks for making this a book of a month so I got off my rump and actually read it.
I always like books with cats, so Book was a pleasant surprise. And glad Addie inspired you to get off your rump and read.

Thanks for the links to the articles, rubysmama rubysmama , I just read them- very interesting.
It was interesting reading her inspiration for writing the book.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here we are at the end of another month, so time to bid adieu to Addie Larue. But unlike the characters in the book who always forgot her, I don't think that will happen with us. :)

And if we do start to forget her, eventually there's going to be a film adaptation of the book.
Augustine Frizzell to Direct ‘The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue’ Film Adaptation for eOne (EXCLUSIVE)
As always, thanks to all of you who read the book, and posted your reviews. :grouphug2:

Everyone is invited to join us again in March when we read The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
March 2022 book of the month club - The Kite Runner

And looking ahead to April, we're doing a voting poll to choose the book we'll be reading. There's 6 books to choose from, and you can vote for 3 of them. The book with the most votes will be April's choice, with the 2nd and 3rd runners up being read in later months.
April 2022 Book of the Month Club, Three Votes Poll