Fearless, Stupid Cat....

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of our 18-month-old cats Valentine isn't afraid of cars or neighbors and I fear she will be squashed by a car at some point if this behavior continues.
They don't even move from the driveway when I'm driving off or coming home but that's probably because they know I'm aware of them. No matter how close the vehicle approaches them, they just don't move. They are lounging like kangaroos... It's annoying but at least I know I have to pay attention.
Now the problematic thing is that she goes near my neighbor whenever she's around her car with their kids. (she often parks her car on the street)
She even got in their car once while she was putting the kids in the car. She's aware of Valentine but can't always make sure she's not beneath her car. Like the other night I was out in the front yard with our cats and Valentine made a dash for her car and sat right in front of her rear tire when she was about to drive off as though she had a death wish. I had to run after her and knock on her car window to alert her.
I will try to look out for her but that's not always possible....but can't keep them inside the house all the time. Is there any solution to fix this reckless behavior?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Is there any solution to fix this reckless behavior?
Keep your cats inside!

She is going to get hit by a car sooner or later, possibly killed, quite likely seriously injured. If she is lucky enough to survive a traffic accident you are going to be faced with a very expensive vet bill.

Lots of us have indoor only cats or cats that only go outside on a leash or in a safe enclosure.

Please don't learn why the hard way. It's your responsibility to keep her safe.

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

Cat Enclosures

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Yes, I'm inclined to keep her inside or limit her outdoor time....
That's going to be the only way to keep her alive. Have you tried walking her on a harness and leash? Do you have space to make a catio?

Cats that are allowed outside only live for about five years, indoor cats can easily live to be 15 or 20 years old.

I'm sorry, but you really will lose her if you let her roam around outside.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As one who has just buried another little one found on the street, please let me tell you that behavior like this ALWAYS does not end well. My cats are all inside cats now, the little one I buried was dumpoed by a heartless human and was a stray coming for food and comfort. I wish I could take them all in. It's just not worth it to find them that way. Even my street wise 12 year old eventually ended up hit. It's not worth the broken heart. They will complain, but eventually they get used to the idea they have to stay in. I let mine out for 15 minutes every morning in a fenced yard with supervision, that seems to satisfy them. PLEASE for your own heart's sake, keep your cats inside, it is the ONLY way to keep them safe. They are like small children that need guidance, be that firm guidance for their sakes.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello there.

A catio is perfect for your cat, if it is possible to build. Or, a mini catio on windows will do. It is the best way to keep your kitty safe. All my cats are rescued from the streets and were used to life outdoors. They were miserable the first several months, but in time they finally stopped fussing to go out anymore. And they do go out but with a leash.

I saw my very first cat when I was a kid got squished by a passing car. I saw her as she jerked her body in her final moments and died. It was a horrible sight which I will never forget until the end of my life. And it was the reason why I did not have cats for decades. I am not saying this to instigate fear for no reason, but we do really have to be afraid and worry when our cats are out there.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some cats can miraculously survive the dangers of being outside, but your darling Valentine doesn't sound like she's close to being one of them. So you'll have to do everything you can to keep her from getting outside.

Here's a TCS article with tips on How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door | TheCatSite

And one on How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) | TheCatSite

Plus:
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) | TheCatSite
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know | TheCatSite

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's going to be the only way to keep her alive. Have you tried walking her on a harness and leash? Do you have space to make a catio?

Cats that are allowed outside only live for about five years, indoor cats can easily live to be 15 or 20 years old.

I'm sorry, but you really will lose her if you let her roam around outside.
Yes, I tried walking them on a harness and leash and they were adamant not to move an inch.... or go the opposite ways deliberately, so I couldn't walk them together. I'm thinking about covering the entire backyard/front yard in mesh...

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As one who has just buried another little one found on the street, please let me tell you that behavior like this ALWAYS does not end well. My cats are all inside cats now, the little one I buried was dumpoed by a heartless human and was a stray coming for food and comfort. I wish I could take them all in. It's just not worth it to find them that way. Even my street wise 12 year old eventually ended up hit. It's not worth the broken heart. They will complain, but eventually they get used to the idea they have to stay in. I let mine out for 15 minutes every morning in a fenced yard with supervision, that seems to satisfy them. PLEASE for your own heart's sake, keep your cats inside, it is the ONLY way to keep them safe. They are like small children that need guidance, be that firm guidance for their sakes.
Yes, I agree. I can't imagine losing my beloved cats after losing my own mom in a traffic accident... I once took them to our city apartment and they became kinda depressed, so I will find ways to keep them occupied and busy inside the house.

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello there.

A catio is perfect for your cat, if it is possible to build. Or, a mini catio on windows will do. It is the best way to keep your kitty safe. All my cats are rescued from the streets and were used to life outdoors. They were miserable the first several months, but in time they finally stopped fussing to go out anymore. And they do go out but with a leash.

I saw my very first cat when I was a kid got squished by a passing car. I saw her as she jerked her body in her final moments and died. It was a horrible sight which I will never forget until the end of my life. And it was the reason why I did not have cats for decades. I am not saying this to instigate fear for no reason, but we do really have to be afraid and worry when our cats are out there.
Omg.... I'd be traumatized too.

F+V

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Some cats can miraculously survive the dangers of being outside, but your darling Valentine doesn't sound like she's close to being one of them. So you'll have to do everything you can to keep her from getting outside.

Here's a TCS article with tips on How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door | TheCatSite

And one on How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) | TheCatSite

Plus:
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) | TheCatSite
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know | TheCatSite
Thank you for the links. I will make changes in this household accordingly.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm thinking about covering the entire backyard/front yard in mesh...
If you want any suggestions about making your yard cat proof I'd be happy to help. My cats have a big enclosure. It's kind of a work in progress, but we've been here for five years now and I'm adding things and modifying all the time.

I'd love to see some pictures of whatever you make for them.

:biggrin:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, I tried walking them on a harness and leash and they were adamant not to move an inch.... or go the opposite ways deliberately, so I couldn't walk them together.
That's typical at first, but with patience and practice they get better, that is to say my boy did :). You'd want to walk each one alone though, there's too much that can go wrong.

This may help if you haven't seen it yet;
Harness And Leash Training For Cats

Last edited:

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried walking them on a harness and leash and they were adamant not to move an inch
One of my cats just flops down on the ground when we put leash on him. It is too funny to watch. When he sees the leash now, he runs away from me. So he just sits content by the window and watching movements outside.