Fearful Kitten Siblins

ekerouac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,
My boyfriend and I decided to adopt two 4-month old sister kittens two days ago. I initially wanted one, but my friend told me that two was better because they kept each other company, etc. They've been in the apartment behaving quite ok (toilet trained, not scratching walls and stuff), but when they see me or my boyfriend nearby the run and hide. It's literally impssoble to come anywhere near them. I'm wondering if this is normal or should I worry. How long should I wait to see if this behaviour changes?
Thanks a lot for any suggestion.
Ester

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
it is totally normal behavior especially for kittens in a new environment.
all you need to do now is just waiting no more no less, they will decide to approach when they declare you as no threat, it might take a week or a month or even longer, but it's okay I have had a kitten once who'd run and hide once I make the slightest movement, he came to me after a month or so,
Important notes: no eye contact, no attempt to approach them as long as they're fearful, try to stick around when you're feeding them so they associate u with good things, no sudden movements from anyone, no reaction to anything they do like they do not even exist,
embracing this approach will give you impressive results, do not take things from human perspective, cats are weird xd

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
forgot a fundamental and basic tip:
let them play with you being around as much as possible, get some toys and play with them
that is the magic pill for bonding with a new cat

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They have to get to know you. Go into their room, get down on the floor and try to play with them with a wand toy. Toss them a couple of treats and see what happens.

If you get no reaction and they just hide, it will take a little longer. You may have to just sit in the room and talk to yourself/read so they get used to you (your boyfriend should do this too)

littlecatt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Totally normal! When I adopted my kitten she hid from me and now she's the snuggliest little bean. Kittens can't resist playing! Sit down with a wand toy or something that wiggles and just play with it calmly, not moving towards them. You'll see their eyes light up and usually the braver one will pop out first to investigate. Treats are always a great move, toss them towards the kittens and you can gradually work up to them eating the treat out of your hand.