Fearful But Not Fearful,, Why?

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I've got this new kitten who seems 6-7 weeks old, (Tiger)
it's been exactly 6 days now, but he a little bit weird (Note that I have already couples of cats before and I know how they can be weird, but this one is abnormal)
I had a kitten before who I had to give him up because he was anxious and fearful all the time for like 2 months, that was really really alarmed by anything/any sound. he would go and hide whenever I move, he never let me touch him or approach him. (Mentioned this one only for comparison)
okay, Tiger is not as anxious/fearful as that one, but he is not as normal as others, he'd come and lie in my lap to sleep and enjoying stroking him. Yet he runs and hides when I walk nearby him, he is very alarmed when there anything moves suddenly or he hears some sound. by very alarmed I mean he'd jump and turn around to see what was that or just immediately run and hide. He plays, eats, drinks and sleep very well. it's only that problem I've mentioned that really bothers me. +when I walk my feet scare him when I pass him he starts chasing my feet lol.
I blocked his hiding spots so I make him just adjust the environment and live with whatever triggers him.(which I think you'd say is a bad idea)

the questions are:
-Have you had a kitten behaved like this one?
-is it because of the new environment? or he may be like this forever?
-what can I do to reduce his anxiety/stress?

the thing is that I get frustrated when I see him like that, that's not what I've been hoping.
Please help me

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Mummacat123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any kitten of that age will adjust and just needs to get used to many new sounds etc.
Personally I think this is too young for it to of been taken from its mother unless there was some reason why it was necessary.

I would give him a smaller area. It could be a crate in the lounge so he can still see what's going on and feel part of it with lots of frequent short play sessions.

You could plug in feliway spray too... Ive been using it and can't say I've noticed a big difference in various cats Ive used it with but many swear by it. I have it plugged in for my mum cat whose semi wild and we'll she was very mellow today esp as I vacuumed the room today so maybe it is working

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Six weeks is terribly young to be thrown into a new scary place away from his family. 6 days is not long at all for such a tremendous change. Even kittens that young hate change and it will take at least a couple of weeks before he feels more comfortable. I would allow him to hide in one place to feel secure. Taking away all hiding places produces panic and escalates the problem.If you hate spiders or mice, would you want one thrown next to you to get you 'used' to it? Gradual is the way to do it. Don't get frustrated, he'll pick up on that, try to ignore him for the most part. Get a wand or a string and entice him to play to give him good feelings. Pet him while he is eating. Encourage him to sleep on your lap when you can, handling him will get him used to you. He is young enough you can teach him and give him the confidence he needs to get bolder. Play is a great way to do that. Try to move a little slower when around him, quick movements, loud voices and loud noises from slamming doors, etc. can make a nervous cat more so. No staring into his eyes either, that is a threat. Low, high pitched talking and sitting still are the best ways to help a cat feel at ease. Please don't be afraid to come back for advise, there are many heer who have had the same problem. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samyoz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Six weeks is terribly young to be thrown into a new scary place away from his family. 6 days is not long at all for such a tremendous change. Even kittens that young hate change and it will take at least a couple of weeks before he feels more comfortable. I would allow him to hide in one place to feel secure. Taking away all hiding places produces panic and escalates the problem.If you hate spiders or mice, would you want one thrown next to you to get you 'used' to it? Gradual is the way to do it. Don't get frustrated, he'll pick up on that, try to ignore him for the most part. Get a wand or a string and entice him to play to give him good feelings. Pet him while he is eating. Encourage him to sleep on your lap when you can, handling him will get him used to you. He is young enough you can teach him and give him the confidence he needs to get bolder. Play is a great way to do that. Try to move a little slower when around him, quick movements, loud voices and loud noises from slamming doors, etc. can make a nervous cat more so. No staring into his eyes either, that is a threat. Low, high pitched talking and sitting still are the best ways to help a cat feel at ease. Please don't be afraid to come back for advise, there are many heer who have had the same problem. Good luck!
about taking him at that age: I know the kitten needs its mother at least for 8-10 weeks, but here the people who work with pets 'as business' do not care about that. They always say it's 8 weeks old even if it's born yesterday so they avoid problems with government/fines/punishments, I was told that mine is 8 weeks old, but that's impossible, I have adopted 8 weeks kitten before I know that mine is 6 or less weeks old.
At least I have a decent experience of what a young kitten needs, better than he being taken by non-experienced people.
yeah he's pretty playful, that's gotta help
I will follow your advice.

thanks so much

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I KNOW he si much better off with someone like you! You are concerned enough to reach out to a site for advise, that means you have a loving heart and are concerned for that tiny little one, and are trying to do what is best for him. I wish you the best!