Fear of Lilies in House

Optatus Cleary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
83C10214-6101-43DF-A0C4-F4A8BBE77A42.jpeg

The picture is unrelated to the post topic, just a cute picture of Blossom.

So my mother-in-law is having some surgery tomorrow and my wife got a bouquet of flowers for her, to give her after the surgery. She brought it home from the florist and we noticed it had some unopened lilies. She held it up high to keep Blossom from getting near it, and put it in an unused bedroom with the door closed. Blossom never touched or got very close to the plants. My wife intends to take the bouquet out tomorrow morning when she goes to visit her mom after surgery.

I’m concerned about the potential for pollen in the house. The door to the bedroom is closed but it isn’t airtight, and my wife will have to take the flowers through the house again tomorrow morning. Should we keep Blossom on our screened “catio” until the flowers are out of the house? Should I call the vet? Is it too late to do anything and I just have to wait and see? I would take the bouquet out of the house now but I’m worried about carrying it through the house again and potentially exposing her to more pollen.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Lily flowers are a no no and are toxic to cats even in a very small amount. Pollen from the flower may drop off in a small amount while handling it and your cat may picked it up by walking over it and then grooming herself and ingesting the pollen.

Best is not to have this flower in the house and in he mean time, vacuum the house and keep Blossom away from it and from the room till all the places cleaned up as we never know as we cannot see the pollens falling out.

cats-lilies-avoid-the-danger-lurking-in-your-home

In the meanwhile, just in case if Blossom had any contact with the flower or pollen, keep a close watch on her and should any unusual health behavior you see conning from Blossom, bring her to the vet ASAP.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Optatus Cleary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I vacuumed the entire house except for the room the flowers are in, since I didn’t want to open that. Then I changed clothes and took a shower. My wife is out but when she gets home we will sequester Blossom on the catio and then move the flowers out to the garage (Blossom isn’t allowed in there ever anyway with all the other things in a garage that could be dangerous to a cat.)

I will closely supervise her in the mean time. Does anyone know how long it takes for symptoms to show, so I can know when to feel out of the woods? I figure after six days we’d know, but if symptoms don’t show up can we relax or do we really need to wait six days to feel safe?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I thought I'd post this thread from earlier in the year about a member whose cat ate some leaves from a bouquet of lilies:
Lucca ate leaves from a bouquet of lilies 😥

Please refer to the Article tabbytom tabbytom posted that talks about the symptoms of lily poisoning in cats. In addition, if it would give you peace of mind do not hesitate to contact your vet. Fingers crossed your lovely Blossom will be safe. :crossfingers:

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

Optatus Cleary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My wife got home and we got the bouquet out of the house. She held the bouquet and I held a black trash bag under it in case anything fell. Blossom was out on the catio. One of the lilies had opened a little, so we were extremely careful. We took it out the shortest path, about ten to fifteen feet to the door. We then vacuumed several times and then I washed the tile floor with a Clorox wipe, a wet paper towel, and then a dry paper towel. We both showered and changed clothes before letting Blossom back in.

Blossom was nowhere near the flowers in the first place, and she seems to be perfectly healthy. She’s behaving normally and we’re watching to make sure that continues.

I hope my mother-in-law likes these flowers, after all the trouble they’ve caused.

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Blossom was nowhere near the flowers in the first place, and she seems to be perfectly healthy. She’s behaving normally and we’re watching to make sure that continues.
Good to hear that blossom is nowhere near the Lily but to be on a safe side but not being paranoid, just keep an eye on her.

There're lots of plants and flowers that are toxic to cats and here's a list of them to note, just in case one happen to pop into your house or in your garden :-

cats-plant-list

animal-poison-control

people-foods-avoid-feeding-your-pets

poisonous-household-products

poisons

Optatus Cleary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We don’t have any houseplants inside that aren’t already verified to be safe. My wife was just in a rush, she had bought the bouquet at the florist and then was on her way to visit her mom, but she left the flowers with the intention of taking them tomorrow when her mom wakes up. We are both usually extremely careful about anything we bring in, and we have read a lot about the plants that are poisonous. I don’t think she realizes there was a lily until it was inside.

We’ll watch Blossom now and be much more careful in the future.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must say... great catch on noticing the risk!! You’re a very loving cat guardian! :clap2: You took great precautions so , hopefully, the risk was eradicated. You got excellent advice from everyone. I remember following the thread about the kitty that ate the leaves. It’s so easy to miss things a cat can get into and get in trouble. I’m so glad you were aware! I loved the opening photo!

Optatus Cleary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
9D2A1354-277B-4F6A-8AC0-1D5059540C89.jpeg

Blossom is still doing well.

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes for any residual pollen to become non-threatening? I cleaned very thoroughly but it sounds like even a single bit of pollen could be deadly. I really hope none got on anything that was somehow missed in cleaning.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Blossom is so beautiful, I can understand your worry and concern about residual pollen. I honestly don't have the answer to how long it takes for it to become non-threatening. But what I do know is your description of how your wife and you cleaned up showed that you were extremely thorough and conscientious. Several years ago I was reaching for a coffee mug and accidentally dropped it on the kitchen floor. Small pieces and shards went flying everywhere and I was consumed with worry. My husband and I cleaned, vacuumed, wiped and repeated it over and over again. So I sympathize with you and, if it helps a little, everything was fine - our cat never stepped on any stray pieces. Best of luck and hug your adorable Blossom for me. 🤗

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, you have certainly managed this very well, either eradicating the danger, or drastically reducing it. I suspect that the gorgeous Blossom will be fine! Just kinda watch her (but don't be crazy about it) over the next few days. If nothing has happened by, say, Friday or Saturday, my best guess is that you are in the clear.