Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for posting this! While it is important to note that many people use these products on their animals with no adverse effects at all, IF you use them, and your pet does show symptoms, you know what to tell your vet! And DON'T WAIT! See that vet immediately!

I was unable to find any percentages about these symptoms, although if one of you researches and DOES, PLEASE post it here! The more information we have, the better off our beloved cats are!

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks this is VERY useful information...

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is precisely what I was concerned about when I posted: Feeby's Flea Treatment Debate - Does It Apply To You?.

As the article that Furballsmom Furballsmom provided states the isoxazoline class of flea and tick treatments include Bravecto (tablets for dogs OR topical for dogs or cats), Nexgard (tablets for dogs) or Simparica (tablets for dogs), Credelio (tablets for dogs) and Revolution Plus (topical solution for cats).

These meds are topical but are actually absorbed into the blood stream - as opposed to the previous generation of treatments which are spread through the sebaceous glands. I suspect that has something to do with the issue around potential neurological reactions. My vet says they are safe - and, much more effective - and he has seen no adverse affects in any of the patients of his vet practice. I, however, decided against Bravecto and am staying with Advantage II. If his practice's track record gets 'broken' it won't be because of Feeby!!

The odds are increased in cats that have had previous neurological issues, but there have been some reported cases in cats with no prior history. I tried back when I first posted about this to find statistics on the % of cats that had an adverse reaction and I couldn't find any. I tried again today, to no avail.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
This is precisely what I was concerned about when I posted: Feeby's Flea Treatment Debate - Does It Apply To You?.

As the article that Furballsmom Furballsmom provided states the isoxazoline class of flea and tick treatments include Bravecto (tablets for dogs OR topical for dogs or cats), Nexgard (tablets for dogs) or Simparica (tablets for dogs), Credelio (tablets for dogs) and Revolution Plus (topical solution for cats).

These meds are topical but are actually absorbed into the blood stream - as opposed to the previous generation of treatments which are spread through the sebaceous glands. I suspect that has something to do with the issue around potential neurological reactions. My vet says they are safe - and, much more effective - and he has seen no adverse affects in any of the patients of his vet practice. I, however, decided against Bravecto and am staying with Advantage II. If his practice's track record gets 'broken' it won't be because of Feeby!!

The odds are increased in cats that have had previous neurological issues, but there have been some reported cases in cats with no prior history. I tried back when I first posted about this to find statistics on the % of cats that had an adverse reaction and I couldn't find any. I tried again today, to no avail.
My VET has started giving the Revolution Plus at his office...Well this was several months back...And I didn't get it for Snowball...he didnt have any fleas n still DONT...knock on wood...But I did notice couple yrs back..when he did get a few fleas I guess from me bring in from outside on clothes shoes etc..He got lethargic n throwed up about 1 hr after I put the Regular Revolution topical on him...Never gave since...But that wasnt the Revolution Plus...it was just the Revolution...(regular older version before the VET got the Revolution Plus) But EITHER way I think some especially Revolution is pretty strong ...Think the original one made my boy sick..So I certainly wouldn't use the PLUS one on him...But yea THANKS for the info u posted...Cause I HADN'T heard nothing til ure post :) :wave3:

stacydc83

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thankyou for posting this. That's really scary and the reason why I went with revolution and revolution plus, I was worried about what otc flea products could do, but now I worry about this. I wonder If it's just revolution plus, and not revolution? They have a prescription for the plus but maybe I'll ask that they get switched back to the regular

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou for posting this. That's really scary and the reason why I went with revolution and revolution plus, I was worried about what otc flea products could do, but now I worry about this. I wonder If it's just revolution plus, and not revolution? They have a prescription for the plus but maybe I'll ask that they get switched back to the regular
The regular Revolution made my boy lethargic...vomited..about an hr after it was applied..this was around 2 yrs ago..Not gave any since...

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
What is the difference between regular Revolution and Revolution Plus?

Is it just the tick protection and the vehicle/delivery system?

Our vet just switched, and I assumed the packaging had just changed! Vet office didn’t mention it’s a different product from what I normally buy, but I checked after seeing this post, and sure enough, it’s not just repackaging, but a different product.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise

Is it just the tick protection and the vehicle/delivery system?

Our vet just switched, and I assumed the packaging had just changed! Vet office didn’t mention it’s a different product from what I normally buy, but I checked after seeing this post, and sure enough, it’s not just repackaging, but a different product.
Im NOT sure what the difference is...Could Google it n see WHAT its about n the difference between the 2...thats what im gonna do..NOT THAT IM EVER GONNA USE EITHER ONE...U KNOW:whitecat:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for bringing this to everyone's attention.

None of the vets around me sell Advantage anymore and that has been the only topical treatment that worked for my cats. Frontline and some of the other ones cause my cats to go into a frenzy. After spending a wad of cash on Frontline, I literally had to bath all of my cats to get the stuff off of them.

Bummer about Advantage. :(

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everything has a side effect, it just depends on the metabolism. Lots of humans use Advil in the world but that was one of the very rare medicines that caused side effects in me when I used it.

Hima gets some side effects with Bayer's Advantage and Profender (Advantage isn't passed into the bloodstream I think), but no side effects whatsoever with Stronghold (Revolution is the USA name).

I am not familiar with most of the products mentioned there so can't make a comment but, there are bad experiences with every medicine in the world or even non-medicine, like food allergies.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been using Revolution for years on my own cats, family cats, and strays/friends/foster cats and dogs. Never once had an issue. Some cats are just more sensitive than others. If you have a cat who is than I wouldn't use it on them of course but that doesn't rule it out for every cat. Revolution Plus is JUST for cats only and has better/updated coverage. It contains the tick coverage of Simparica for dogs since ticks are becoming a much bigger problem for cats now. Apparently it is the same as StrongHold which is a product sold outside of the US. However, it just became available in the US earlier this year.

The old Revolution was nice because it was interchangable between dogs and cats and I could buy XL dog and dose it down to treat many many cats, then use a larger dose to treat the dog too. Perfect. I still get this one when I can. But Plus is more common now.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
None of the vets around me sell Advantage anymore and that has been the only topical treatment that worked for my cats.
The original Advantage formula only contained imidacloprid, which killed adult fleas and had some effect on flea larvae, but it did not kill flea eggs. Advantage II contains pyriproxyfen, which is an insect growth regulating chemical (IGR) which prevents the flea eggs from hatching. Neither of these ingredients are part of the isoxazoline class of flea and tick treatments, and neither are absorbed into the bloodstream, just through the sebaceous glands.

I wonder If it's just revolution plus, and not revolution? They have a prescription for the plus but maybe I'll ask that they get switched back to the regular
I have been using Revolution for years on my own cats, family cats, and strays/friends/foster cats and dogs. Never once had an issue. Some cats are just more sensitive than others... Revolution Plus is JUST for cats only and has better/updated coverage....Apparently it is the same as StrongHold which is a product sold outside of the US.
but no side effects whatsoever with Stronghold (Revolution is the USA name).
Revolution (NOT Plus) contains Selamectin which is NOT part of the isoxazoline class of flea and tick treatments. It is absorbed through the sebaceous glands, but also goes into the bloodstream. There is no warning regarding neurological issues with Selamectin.

Revolution PLUS also contains Sarolaner which IS one of the isoxazoline class. It is primarily absorbed through the bloodstream and DOES carry the warning about possible neurological issues. Sarolaner was added because it is more effective in killing ticks than Selamectin.

Stronghold contains Selamectin and is pretty much the same as Revolution, but not Revolution Plus.

~ I use generic Frontline Plus . So far no problems.
Frontline Plus contains fipronil and (S)-methoprene - neither of which are part of isoxazoline class and it is absorbed through the sebaceous glands NOT the bloodstream.

So, some of the older 'generation' of flea/tick products DO enter the bloodstream - as noted above: Selamectin (Revolution & Stronghold). To that point, it would seem the neurological concerns are solely geared toward any of the treatments that fall into the isoxazoline class.

Last edited:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
The original Advantage formula only contained imidacloprid, which killed adult fleas and had some effect on flea larvae, but it did not kill flea eggs. Advantage II contains pyriproxyfen, which is an insect growth regulating chemical (IGR) which prevents the flea eggs from hatching. Neither of these ingredients are part of the isoxazoline class of flea and tick treatments, and neither are absorbed into the bloodstream, just through the sebaceous glands.

Revolution (NOT Plus) contains Selamectin which is NOT part of the isoxazoline class of flea and tick treatments. It is absorbed through the sebaceous glands, but also goes into the bloodstream. There is no warning regarding neurological issues with Selamectin.

Revolution PLUS also contains Sarolaner which IS one of the isoxazoline class. It is primarily absorbed through the bloodstream and DOES carry the warning about possible neurological issues. Sarolaner was added because it is more effective in killing ticks than Selamectin.

Stronghold contains Selamectin and is pretty much the same as Revolution, but not Revolution Plus.

Frontline Plus contains fipronil and (S)-methoprene - neither of which are part of isoxazoline class and it is absorbed through the sebaceous glands NOT the bloodstream.

So, some of the older 'generation' of flea/tick products DO enter the bloodstream - as noted above: Selamectin (Revolution & Stronghold). To that point, it would seem the neurological concerns are solely geared toward any of the treatments that fall into the isoxazoline class.

So Advantage II is harmless, but yet Vets are dropping it. :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So Advantage II is harmless, but yet Vets are dropping it. :(
I suppose none of them are totally 'harmless', and any of them can have adverse effects on certain cats. But, I am guessing it is because Adv II, among others, are now offered non-prescription - the new 'stuff' is prescription only?!?! Not to be too cynical, I suppose the vets find it to be the 'new and improved' product line. My vet - and I generally appreciate his opinions/expertise - says it is by far more effective. But, if Adv II keeps the fleas off of Feeby - that is effective enough for me!!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose none of them are totally 'harmless', and any of them can have adverse effects on certain cats. But, I am guessing it is because Adv II, among others, are now offered non-prescription - the new 'stuff' is prescription only?!?! Not to be too cynical, I suppose the vets find it to be the 'new and improved' product line. My vet - and I generally appreciate his opinions/expertise - says it is by far more effective. But, if Adv II keeps the fleas off of Feeby - that is effective enough for me!!

I am kinda of worried once a medication/treatment gets out of the hands of a medical expert. Is the Advantage being sold over the counter watered down, is it as safe?

As far as vets not wanting to push the new treatments- but of course- they have the same dollar signs in their eyes as M.D's do.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am kinda of worried once a medication/treatment gets out of the hands of a medical expert. Is the Advantage being sold over the counter watered down, is it as safe?
The two active ingredients (about 10%) are the same for Adv II now as they were when they were prescription. BUT, the inactive ingredients (about 90%) are not listed - nor have they ever been, even when a prescription was required.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Bravecto has been well tolerated in my Honeybee and definately kills ticks. It's important to apply it high up on the neck where they can't lick. It's a good idea to be aware of any potential problems. I don't recommend topical flea treatments for cats who have been dealing with a serious illness.

Wondercide sprayed on the property has been very helpful for my yard to keep the ticks at bay. The problem is it needs to be reapplied 3 times before it fully kicks in but does work. Don't apply it the day before a rain-wait until the rain has passed.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
THANK YOU for posting this very important information, Furballsmom Furballsmom ! and I hope everyone here reads it.
I only use Advantage, and now Advantage II, as a topical, and only when absolutely necessary. I have used other brands including Frontline and another brand I can't recall, in the past, but trust Advantage more than anything else. Also, I used Adams spray a long time ago and my cat foamed at the mouth, so I had to call his vet and of course, discontinue use of the product. I used Fleabusters, a borax powder that is sprinkled on the carpet and worked in with a broom, then vacuumed, in the house a long time ago. It is very effective used as directed, and works on all stages of the flea life cycle. IDK if it is available in that form now, but strongly recommend it for anyone who has carpeting and fleas. I also use a flea comb on my cats during the hot months of the year (which is just about all the time here in L.A. now) -- harmless, effective, and very affordable!