FDA warning on hand sanitizers that contain potentially fatal ingredient

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
An updated list of hand sanitizers that may contain a toxic chemical:

An article that sort of details how the affected hand sanitizers got into the US to be sold:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are all kinds of different hand sanitizers around now, even advertised for sale on T.V. When I first found it after all this started it was one of the old standbys GermX. I got two quart bottles of it, that was the only size the store had, so I won't be needing it again anytime soon.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The FDA has updated the list of hand sanitizers to avoid buying and using. Same link as above in my July 7 post..

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The list was updated again yesterday:eek2:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I have switched to locally made liquid Spray hand sanitizer Made with alcohol and hydrogen peroxide. I like that it has no odor and leaves no residue. Easy to spray things down with it too.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're saying all the ill effects they're seeing are from people drinking the hand sanitizer, not using it on their hands. So I think most intelligent people are pretty safe ;).

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The list was updated again😮 100 products are listed now. It's not just porducts that contain the potentially dangerous methanol which can be absorbed through the skin. Some products have low levels of the active ingredient in hand sanitizer, either ethyl alcohol or isopropyl alcohol. The FDA recommends using products that contain at least 60% ethyl alcohol or isopropyl alcohol.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
They're saying all the ill effects they're seeing are from people drinking the hand sanitizer, not using it on their hands. So I think most intelligent people are pretty safe ;).
They are also saying though that it can also be toxic if absorbed through the skin, just not as bad as drinking it.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought some off of Amazon just to be sure I am stocked up and I noticed that some of them said that they were made in the U.S. and I see now why. I haven't seen Purell in the stores in ages and I haven't seen Germ-X in awhile. The one I got isn't on the list and I did pay extra for one made in the U.S. I tried it and I don't like it as well as the Germ-X which I still have a lot of but if things get bad and nothing is available anywhere it certainly is better then nothing. It has a really strong alcohol smell and is sticky until it dries. It is 70% alcohol which is probably why, the Germ-X is 62%.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Costco (here anyway) has a half-gallon of Germ-X for only $7.99. My mom buys it for my germaphobic nephew, poor kid. If they make him go back to the school building he'll probably use the whole half-gallon in a week. . .he's really hoping for online school.

But, yeah, it seems like there are a lot of odd off-brands going around now, I'm sure a lot of them cut corners to make enough for demand.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got quart bottles of it awhile back, I don't know how much it was. I got it at the supermarket. The price wasn't marked and I bought it with my weekly trip to the market. That was when there was nothing else including off brands available so I didn't care how much it was I just got two bottles. I still have an unopened bottle and a little over half of the other bottle left. I hadn't seen it in the supermarket for a while so I ordered some hand sanitizer off of Amazon. I really wanted to get a stash of all that stuff together in case things get really bad again and the hoarding and shelf clearing begins. We are going to be dealing with this for a good long while so everything I have stashed will be used.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought a gallon sized bottle of locally made hand sanitizer awhile ago. I haven't used it yet. It's 70% ethyl alcohol based and meets FDA requirements. I just looked at the web site and the price went up a few dollars, I guess because demand is so great.

I heard that some breweries are making hand sanitizers instead of beer now. I see "homemade" hand sanitizers for sale on Etsy. Is there some recipe that meets FDA requirements floating around online to make homemade hand sanitizers? Are people just repackaging questionable products to sell?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a local brewery that makes bottles of spray hand sanitizer and sells them at the grocery store. I love it and carry a small spray bottle with me . It only has peroxide and alcohol in it so you can spray it on everything.

Last edited: