FDA approves novel pain control cats osteoarthritis

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, that's interesting. My Zoe has just been diagnosed with arthritis in one of her front leg joints. It doesn't seem to bother her at this point but this new med will be something to keep in mind for the future. Thanks for posting the information.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, @Tarasgirl106, that's a really good article. It's good to have all hands on deck all the time. (and I'm glad for all the people working toward the same goal - the safety of our animals, our families and ourselves.) FDA did send a list of other news drugs approved. If you already caught, good, It seemed to be mostly for humans, but maybe the animals will get some benefit from it. I'm posting it in foodie corner

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The name of the medication is Solensia. the FDA says it can help manage pain associated with arthritis to improve a cat’s quality of life.

SwissMiss

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Now if they only could come up with something like this for people. I've got arthritis in my knees, low back, mid back, neck and now I think in my shoulder. I want to be able to keep taking care of my kitties!

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Now if they only could come up with something like this for people. I've got arthritis in my knees, low back, mid back, neck and now I think in my shoulder. I want to be able to keep taking care of my kitties!
For me I found a massive improvement in my symptoms when I started fasting. Maybe just give it a shot and see if it works for a day or so.. really reduces inflammation.

Does anyone know how much this kitty medication costs?

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Solensia is now available to Vets in Canada.

I've been watching some anecdotal reports/feedback from some folks in the UK - while those are 'mixed", it seems that there may be a benefit to continuing treatment beyond the 'floated' two month evaluation period. I'll go and give that tree another shake and see if there's any 'riper' news.

If you're in the US and patiently waiting, I'd suggest you speak directly to the person at your clinic/hospital who orders Rx drugs/deals w/the drug reps and insist that they contact the Zoetis rep for an availability update - and then, that they call you when it arrives.

NOT so patiently waiting here......................