Fd Raw As A Mix-in

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A few months ago I bought an assortment of freeze-dried raw foods for my cat, Sylvie. She did so well on them and liked them so much that I went "all in" and fed her nothing but FDR for a few weeks ... until she became constipated and I decided that the high bone content might not be the best for her. Since then I've been feeding her a varied diet of mostly canned food with an occasional meal of freeze-dried raw.

Lately Sylvie's enthusiasm for her canned food (Rawz) has begun to wane a bit, so I've thought about ways to make it more appealing. I realized I had some bags of Stella & Chewy's just sitting there ... so I got the idea to rehydrate a nugget or two and add it to her canned food (adding the Duck Duck Goose to the Rawz Duck Pate and the Absolutely Rabbit to the Rawz Rabbit Pate). It worked! The little bit of raw seems to draw her in and entice her to eat the whole serving. :)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few months ago I bought an assortment of freeze-dried raw foods for my cat, Sylvie. She did so well on them and liked them so much that I went "all in" and fed her nothing but FDR for a few weeks ... until she became constipated and I decided that the high bone content might not be the best for her. Since then I've been feeding her a varied diet of mostly canned food with an occasional meal of freeze-dried raw.

Lately Sylvie's enthusiasm for her canned food (Rawz) has begun to wane a bit, so I've thought about ways to make it more appealing. I realized I had some bags of Stella & Chewy's just sitting there ... so I got the idea to rehydrate a nugget or two and add it to her canned food (adding the Duck Duck Goose to the Rawz Duck Pate and the Absolutely Rabbit to the Rawz Rabbit Pate). It worked! The little bit of raw seems to draw her in and entice her to eat the whole serving. :)
And if that stops working, there's Ireland's favorite method: add water to the canned food and then sprinkle/crumble freeze-dried food around and on top of the canned food.

These lynx mixes keep Cat Catering very busy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And if that stops working, there's Ireland's favorite method: add water to the canned food and then sprinkle/crumble freeze-dried food around and on top of the canned food.

These lynx mixes keep Cat Catering very busy!
I have gotten into the habit of adding a few teaspoons of water to the canned food, so it's just one short step from there to Ireland's method! :)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have gotten into the habit of adding a few teaspoons of water to the canned food, so it's just one short step from there to Ireland's method! :)
I added a tiny bit of pumpkin to the mix tonight. I think part of Ireland's pickiness might well be related to mild constipation but with two cats, it's not easy to track her eating cycles and litter box production to see if there's a correlation. She loves pumpkin and if a tiny bit inspires her to eat and could help keep things moving, well, I'm all for it!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I added a tiny bit of pumpkin to the mix tonight. I think part of Ireland's pickiness might well be related to mild constipation but with two cats, it's not easy to track her eating cycles and litter box production to see if there's a correlation. She loves pumpkin and if a tiny bit inspires her to eat and could help keep things moving, well, I'm all for it!
I always wondered whether you could add a different food safe dye to each cat’s food to tell them apart in the litterbox. But I have only the one cat so I’ve never tested this.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I always wondered whether you could add a different food safe dye to each cat’s food to tell them apart in the litterbox. But I have only the one cat so I’ve never tested this.
I'm sure you can. I have one cat who prefers kibble, and one who prefers home cooked food. I can always tell who pooped what in the litter box based on what colour the poop is. The kibble-fed cat's poop is much darker.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure you can. I have one cat who prefers kibble, and one who prefers home cooked food. I can always tell who pooped what in the litter box based on what colour the poop is. The kibble-fed cat's poop is much darker.
Yes, if only our cats ate different foods!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried pumpkin with Sylvie, mixing a spoonful well into her canned food, and she rejected it. I was disappointed, because it’s such a simple and healthy way to keep the wheels moving smoothly. I might try again the next time I open a can of pumpkin purée to bake something.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried pumpkin with Sylvie, mixing a spoonful well into her canned food, and she rejected it. I was disappointed, because it’s such a simple and healthy way to keep the wheels moving smoothly. I might try again the next time I open a can of pumpkin purée to bake something.
You might not even need that much: when I added small amounts of pumpkin to the cats' food last summer (when Edwina was gacking up fur) I noticed a change in stool bulk. What were "small amounts"? I don't remember but they were definitely no more than 1/2 a teaspoon per cat twice a day, probably closer to 1/4.