Fawn on Doorstep

Kristin_Happy Texan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought I'd share what surprise showed up on our doorstep - literally - back in 2017.

While it was amazing to see, it was also very stressful worrying over the Mama Deer not returning. She stayed away all day, and for a few hours seemed frantic from trying to remember where she left her kid. (She didn't even call out for the fawn).

Luckily, she and the baby found each other right before sunset and all was well.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart was in my mouth, waiting. Whew. If that is your fence, thank you for making it somewhat deer friendly. They can often get caught up in fences with too much wire, or try to leap over and get entangled, if they are not built correctly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kristin_Happy Texan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My heart was in my mouth, waiting. Whew. If that is your fence, thank you for making it somewhat deer friendly. They can often get caught up in fences with too much wire, or try to leap over and get entangled, if they are not built correctly.
The barb wire is on all the property around here. It was already here when we bought the land. Some people electrify them, but we don't.

We don't get deer around here anymore. We used to get A LOT of them, but after the neighbor got a new, extremely large dog they stopped coming around. I miss filming them, although I can still see them on very RARE occasions near the neighbor's pond.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kristin_Happy Texan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww, so cute. He must have been terribly hungry after being alone all day.
That was our main concern. We read that fawns could only go so long without being fed, and we couldn't exactly just leave and go to the store because we didn't wish to frighten it and we were extremely worried about it running off and into the road. It was a very, very stressful day. (This was actually the day before my birthday. I liked that, since I hate birthdays so much. Lol!) We were also afraid the Mom wouldn't return because deer are actually not very intelligent. Lol!

I have some super sweet videos of baby bunnies, too. They were born in our garden bed. Unfortunately, a roadrunner got one of them. I was so upset over that. Very upset. I had always wanted to capture a roadrunner on one of our game cameras, and the one time I finally did - and it was super close - it was seconds before it ate the rabbit. Naturally, I just deleted the video. Ever since then, every time I see a roadrunner I know to keep an eye out for baby rabbits in our field or gardens.