Favorite Olympic Competition?

chester&piper

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I enjoy watching the skiing (except cross country), snowboarding, speed skating, bobsled, luge and skeleton (are they insane or what?!). This year I've gotten into curling. I can't believe I'm actually enjoying watching it (and am slowing starting to understand it)!!

I've watched more of the Olympics this year than I have in the past.

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the Skeleton athletes are people too crazy for the luge.

"Hey, that luge, it's way too safe, even though you can't see where you are going, and you get to sit on the sled before you start. Let's try taking a running start, and go head first. That should work"

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like everything except cross country and curling. I've been watching most every evening.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sammie5

I think the Skeleton athletes are people too crazy for the luge.

"Hey, that luge, it's way too safe, even though you can't see where you are going, and you get to sit on the sled before you start. Let's try taking a running start, and go head first. That should work"
That is so true!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
definitely the figure skating! My mother loves the ski jumping - she says that every time they jump from the end of the ramp, they look like little tree-frogs!
I dont' know how on earth she came up with that association, but I'm afraid it's stuck. If I ask her what she's watching, it's inevitably the "treefrogging"

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really enjoy watching the Olympics. My favorites to watch are the ice dancing, ice skating, skiing and snowboarding.

silverbook

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I usually like the figure skating. However, I think the new scoring system is terrible. Skaters who did wonderful programs and didn't fall didn't get medals, while some who fell did.

Also the artistic nature that I have always enjoyed has been lacking. I think that they need to go back to the drawing board on the scoring system.

alexa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Did you ever wonder how some of these sports got started?

I was watching the 2-man bob last night (go Switzerland!!) and it just dawned on me - who on earth would think of the idea of putting 2 / 4 people in a bullet-like car just to hurtle down ice at great speed????

And as for the skeleton!!!!!!!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silverbook

I usually like the figure skating. However, I think the new scoring system is terrible. Skaters who did wonderful programs and didn't fall didn't get medals, while some who fell did.

Also the artistic nature that I have always enjoyed has been lacking. I think that they need to go back to the drawing board on the scoring system.
I loved the old scoring system - people knew what was going on there. But I have to put in my twopennoth worth - my hero Evgeni Plushenko really deserved to get his gold FINALLY!!
I don't care if people think he's got a big nose.....

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Is it me, or are the ice dancing costumes just WAY over the top?? There was a couple on last night that had on hot pink costumes and I had a hard time paying attention to them because the pink was just so distracting!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one I had more fun with was the lassie who looked like she'd sat on a swan... the costume was really pretty... right up until her bum! I agree with some of the costumes being just too much - but I also don'tg et why they wear white... if they do that you can't see them against the ice anyway!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I liked how at the end of their routine there was a big poof of feathers coming off her costume!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it's lucky she didn't lose any more! OH and hey, how many women finished in the splits on the ice? I'd have thought that would have been a bit... brisk!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The number who fell in their routines got me! (Ice dancing) Anyone heard how the Canadian lady is doing?

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

Is it me, or are the ice dancing costumes just WAY over the top?? There was a couple on last night that had on hot pink costumes and I had a hard time paying attention to them because the pink was just so distracting!
I definately agree - they have been way over the top - especially the pink - YOUR RIGHT!

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the commentators tonight actually talked about how over the top some of the costumes have been. There was one girl tonight who was darn near nekkid! The costumes, she said, are supposed to be ATHLETIC in nature, but can reflect the character of the program. Some of them are just too flashy, IMO.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah the white outfit with the beads hanging from the breasts kinda went too far - IMO. Let's hear it for skin toned stretchy fabric.

I also thought the male Bulgarian skater was kinda cute - and, Susan/rosiemac? I was looking at his face!