Favorite Animals That Are Not Felines

FrankieNMurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok. But she allows the chickens? Does she have nefarious plans for them? :redtongue::redtongue::redtongue:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Ever since I was young I've loved horses. I read all the Margaret Henry books, went to summer horse camp every year, begged for a horse incessantly... never did own one, but rode all my friends' horses as often as they'd let me. There's just something special about horses.

I like most dogs as well. Our Babee succumbed to her Addison's a couple years ago. We miss her.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ever since I was young I've loved horses. I read all the Margaret Henry books, went to summer horse camp every year, begged for a horse incessantly... never did own one, but rode all my friends' horses as often as they'd let me. There's just something special about horses.
I read Marguerite Henry's books too. We lived in Virginia and often vacationed near Virginia Beach, and would you believe it, we went to Pony Penning Day one year at Chicoteague! I begged Dad to plan our vacation for the third week in July, and we took the ferry across the bay to the Eastern Shore. It was the highlight of the summer for me.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
... we went to Pony Penning Day one year at Chicoteague! I begged Dad to plan our vacation for the third week in July, and we took the ferry across the bay to the Eastern Shore. It was the highlight of the summer for me.
I'm sooooo jelly!
We live in NV right now, but I still haven't made it out to see the mustangs. From what I understand, there are programs to "adopt" a mustang, though I unfortunately do not have the space or money to maintain one. Part of the adoption money is supposed to go to support systems (water/shade stations), but I've also seen criticisms of the programs... especially the way the round ups are managed. :sigh:

Last edited:

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard often that the mustangs can be adopted because they cull the herds every year. That's what they do at Chincoteague, too, because Assateague can't support an exploding population. Chincoteague ponies are considered a breed, and I often saw them around in Virginia. The profits there go to support the Chincoteague Fire Department. BTW, they pronounce it "Shincoteague."

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah... I understand the population control aspect.
Unfortunately, I've seen videos of the 'chopper roundups. The vids I saw were pretty brutal (choppers coming extremely low, occasional gunshots) Maybe I'm just naive, but it seems like there should be better ways to manage the roundups. I'll admit it's been a long time since I saw the vids, so maybe they've improved their techniques since then? I wish I could afford the maintenance to adopt one.

FrankieNMurphy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had horses from age 6 until I was 55. I miss my horse so much, but he got a great home and a new job!
Here's Timmy (Continental Candyman - 98% foundation bred QH) - oops, it won't load!!! He was a gorgeous dapple grey gelding with an ass like a Mack truck

rosegold

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh man, I can't choose just a few. I love all animals! Dogs, horses, snakes, birds... I love wild cats too, especially snow leopards, but I guess those still count as cats. ;) And I love everything that lives in water. I used to keep aquariums and had several live-planted tanks with gorgeous fish. A particular favorite was my peacock eel who I hand-fed live bloodworms to. He was so cool, like a little dragon.

Many others... maned wolf, lammergeier, blue whale, giant squid, discus fish, caracal, serval--oops, those are cats--bison, gharial, diamond dove, barred owl, sea otter, mouse deer, praying mantis, ball python, anglerfish, frilled shark, manta ray, sea dragon... I was lucky enough to see sea dragons in person at one of the very few aquariums in the world that has them. Absolutely stunning creatures!