Father Cat is hissing and attacking his own newborn kittens

Catboy69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, everyone this is my first time posting in this forum. I made an account specifically to address this issue., The thing is yesterday night my cat gave birth to 5 kittens and one of them was already born dead , but anyways my problem is when the Father cat saw his kittens. He started to growl , hiss and he even he tried to attach them. Can anyone help me out , I want to know why father cat is aggressive towards his own kittens and how to make him calm around his own offsprings . Also I don't allow my female cat outside so it's his kittens for sure .

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You should keep him away from the kittens. The amount of stress will be too much for the mother cat. Since one of the kittens was born dead, you really need to have the mother cat and the kittens examined by a veterinarian
Are these pure-bred kittens? Why did you decide to breed them?
I would recommend that you get the male cat neutered. In the meantime, keep him in a separate room from the kittens.

There can be many reasons why the male cat will attack the kittens. Some will kill the kittens. He doesn't know or care that they are his kittens. He is a cat; He doesn't think like a person. They don't have humane feelings they have cat feelings and for whatever reason, he will hurt and can easily kill the kittens or cause the mother cat o much stress that she kills them. Mother nature is cruel. none of this is any of the cats faults. It just is what it is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catboy69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. You should keep him away from the kittens. The amount of stress will be too much for the mother cat. Since one of the kittens was born dead, you really need to have the mother cat and the kittens examined by a veterinarian
Are these pure-bred kittens? Why did you decide to breed them?
I would recommend that you get the male cat neutered. In the meantime, keep him in a separate room from the kittens.

There can be many reasons why the male cat will attack the kittens. Some will kill the kittens. He doesn't know or care that they are his kittens. He is a cat; He doesn't think like a person. They don't have humane feelings they have cat feelings and for whatever reason, he will hurt and can easily kill the kittens or cause the mother cat o much stress that she kills them. Mother nature is cruel. none of this is any of the cats faults. It just is what it is.
Hi , thank you for replying me . I actually didn't bred them. I don't practice neuter or spaying cats . So because of this my cat actually did mate with the male cat . Just that . Hmm well that's odd af, because I want those kitten to roam around in the house safely , when they end up growing up. Is there any way to make the father cat bond with them ??? Currently I have kept the mother cat and her kittens in a separate room . Also I did contact the veterinarian he said no need to worry .

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry, though, for the reason that brought you here.

In general, male cats don't help out with the raising/parenting of kittens, so it's best to keep them separated from the mother and kittens till the kittens are at least weaned. Male cats are unlikely to try to harm a kitten, but they could certainly stress out the mom. However, since your male cat is showing aggression towards the kittens, then definitely keep him away from them.

Once they kittens are old enough to roam freely throughout the home, you can proceed to introduce them to your male cat.

Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips | TheCatSite
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat | TheCatSite

About spaying/neutering, please discuss the topic with your vet. Cats can have several litters a year, and kittens can get pregnant at as young as 5 months. And your current female cat can become pregnant again, while still nursing the kittens, and without showing an obvious heat cycle. So you can see how quickly you could be overwhelmed with kittens. Plus there are behaviourial and health benefits to neutering and spaying.

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats – TheCatSite Articles
When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat? – TheCatSite Articles

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Male cats will sometimes attack or even kill kittens when they are very young so it is safest to keep them entirely separated for at least a couple months. Once the kittens are older you can try a supervised introduction.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catboy69

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry, though, for the reason that brought you here.

In general, male cats don't help out with the raising/parenting of kittens, so it's best to keep them separated from the mother and kittens till the kittens are at least weaned. Male cats are unlikely to try to harm a kitten, but they could certainly stress out the mom. However, since your male cat is showing aggression towards the kittens, then definitely keep him away from them.

Once they kittens are old enough to roam freely throughout the home, you can proceed to introduce them to your male cat.

Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips | TheCatSite
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat | TheCatSite

About spaying/neutering, please discuss the topic with your vet. Cats can have several litters a year, and kittens can get pregnant at as young as 5 months. And your current female cat can become pregnant again, while still nursing the kittens, and without showing an obvious heat cycle. So you can see how quickly you could be overwhelmed with kittens. Plus there are behaviourial and health benefits to neutering and spaying.

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats – TheCatSite Articles
When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat? – TheCatSite Articles
Oh wow actually I wasn't aware of this . I thought they would help the mama cat out , like how the pigeons do during nesting they take turns . That's so bad man. Thanks for explaining .And I also noticed my male cat gets aggressive to the mama cat too lol . I tired showing the mama cat to him . He was very aggressive and he even hit her on the head . I won't do that now . Thanks for explaining again . This is my first time encountering such event