Fat Tuesday

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Today is Fat Tuesday and you know what that means.....doughnuts! Lots of doughnuts! I'm going to drink my morning coffee and then the kitchen will be busy today. I'm making doughnuts and beignets. There will be plenty; c'mon in for coffee and doughnuts! (I really don't like deep-fat frying, so Rick has to stay in the house the entire time I have the fryer turned on....just in case I do something stupid. You know me. It happens.) Tonight we'll take some up to Rick's mom. She's already waiting for hers.

Anybody else celebrating?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Today is Fat Tuesday and you know what that means.....doughnuts! Lots of doughnuts!
Hmmm... isn't Fat Tuesday related to, or the same as, Shrove Tuesday? Which means Pancake Day?

Yup, Googled and found this:
Fat Tuesday is the day before Ash Wednesday. It is also known as Mardi Gras Day or Shrove Day. ... So, Fat Tuesday is a celebration and the opportunity to enjoy that favorite food or snack that you give up for the long Lenten season.

And this: NATIONAL PANCAKE DAY - February 25, 2020 | National Today

Guess I'm having pancakes tonight. And I just happen to have strawberries and blueberries, as well as pure maple syrup, so yummy topping. :yummy:

4b21670b3f6e4f1af0d1ad1ef1a284b3.gif

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I don't like deep fat frying either. It used to scare the crap out of me. Rick's mom wouldn't take NO! for an answer; she said that she wouldn't be around forever and somebody needed to make the doughnuts when she was gone. So every year I'd go up and we'd make doughnuts. At first she did everything while I watched. Then I started doing them while she watched. Eventually it got to the point where I'd go up and do it all while she drank coffee and read the morning paper. Now that she's in a nursing home, it has, indeed, fallen to me to make the doughnuts. Still not my favorite thing to do, but as long as Rick stays around, I'm OK.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't like deep fat frying either. It used to scare the crap out of me. Rick's mom wouldn't take NO! for an answer; she said that she wouldn't be around forever and somebody needed to make the doughnuts when she was gone. So every year I'd go up and we'd make doughnuts. At first she did everything while I watched. Then I started doing them while she watched. Eventually it got to the point where I'd go up and do it all while she drank coffee and read the morning paper. Now that she's in a nursing home, it has, indeed, fallen to me to make the doughnuts. Still not my favorite thing to do, but as long as Rick stays around, I'm OK.
I hate it because it's messy and the oil stinks up the house even if you change it often. We used to have a deep fryer. I got rid of it and will not be replacing it.

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmmm... isn't Fat Tuesday related to, or the same as, Shrove Tuesday? Which means Pancake Day?

Yup, Googled and found this:
Fat Tuesday is the day before Ash Wednesday. It is also known as Mardi Gras Day or Shrove Day. ... So, Fat Tuesday is a celebration and the opportunity to enjoy that favorite food or snack that you give up for the long Lenten season.

And this: NATIONAL PANCAKE DAY - February 25, 2020 | National Today

Guess I'm having pancakes tonight. And I just happen to have strawberries and blueberries, as well as pure maple syrup, so yummy topping. :yummy:

View attachment 323917
that's what we ate today :) favorite berries for our cats and favorite syrup for us :)

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The two bakeries were sold out and I really didn't want a four pack from Jewel, but the local doughnut shop saved me! I prefer custard or cream, but chocolate and lemon was what they had left (and plum, but I don't care for prune and I was afraid it'd be more similar to that and not the fruit), so I'll take it!
0225201652.jpg

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I actually forgot about it until after I had eaten an early dinner so I didn't have any of the traditional things that go with Fat Tuesday. If I had thought about it I probably would've had pancakes for dinner. I am not a big donut person, I am more of a bagel and cream cheese person.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I had an apple fritter.They begin selling paczkis at the beginning of January around here as there are
a huge amount of people that have eastern European backgrounds my self included, maternal grandfather
was from Lithuania and my maternal grandmother was from what was then Yugoslavia.

So being Catholic, no meat on Fridays or Good Friday. Some people still give it up for Lent
but it's more common to give of yourself to others dung these next 40 days.I'll go to Mass
this evening.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Disclaimer: I am not a chef, nor am I a profession baker. They don't look the best, but they taste good.

In the kitchen:
My beignets are from an old favorite recipe that Rick's mom found many, many moons ago. You drop spoonfuls of batter into the hot oil; they's why they look a little wonky. But they really are good. I'm going to look around for a recipe for beignets that you can roll out and cut. These were shaken in a bag of sugar and cinnamon.
FebBeignets.jpg

The glazed doughnuts were then sprinkled with an Easter-like sprinkle.
FebGlazed.jpg

I had a devil of a time, trying to fill these doughnuts from the side. I finally cheated and stuck the tube into the top of the doughnut and squirted the strawberry filling in that way. Worked! A sprinkle of non-melting white sugar (from King Arthur) and they were done. They really taste good!
FebStrawberryFilled.jpg

For some reason, it took a lot longer than it used to to make these buggers, frost, fill, etc. I cleaned up for the second and last time around 4:00. And needless to say, I didn't make dinner; we made sandwiches and canned soup. Cleaned up from that and I was done. My sister came in and picked her doughnuts up and then we took a few up to Rick's mother. She was very happy.