Fat Cat!

jasmine's dad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our kitty Jasmine, and brown grey s/h tabby, is almost 1 year old now, and seems to be getting a significant belly. She is still on Iams Kitten food, which I know is higher in fat than adult food, but we play every day for a good long time with me chasing her around the house and playing hide-and-go-seek, so I don't think it's due to lack of exercise.

Will this belly go away once I switch over to adult cat food which is lower in fat? Or is this problem due to inactivity during the day while my fiancee and I are at work?

Also will her coat stay as nice with the fat content reduced cuz she is sooooo soft?

Jasmine's Dad

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Hi Jasmine's Dad and welcome to our forums!

You may want to check out this article about overweight cats:

It's hard to say without seeing the cat, but my guess is that the combination of the kitten food + lack of exercise are not good for her.

I think you should switch her to the adult formula. Do it gradually by mixing increasing amounts of the adult formula.

As for the exercise - keep up the daily sessions! Maybe you can prolong those sessions (again gradually) and make sure they last at lease 20-30 minutes. Another option, which is also great fun
is to get another cat, preferably younger than Jasmine, that will keep her more active during the day.