Farting, sneezing kitten

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Posting this on behalf of a buddy of mine who recently adopted a barn kitten (about 10-12 weeks old). Kitty has two concerning issues: he's constantly sneezing and constantly farting.

From the looks of things, all Kitty's siblings were sneezing and sniffling, so I assume there's some kind of bug going around between the babies. His eyes aren't watery or crusty, but he sneezes a lot, coughs a lot like he's trying to get a hairball up (but never does), and swallows a lot. I assume this could be a sinus or upper respiratory issue rather than an allergy since he was like this before he arrived at his new home. He sounds like his nose is running, and he wheezes when he sleeps. Also, he can't meow. He tries to, and once in a great while, a little squeak will come out. But most of the time, he has no voice. I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or if his sniffles are contributing to his voice loss.

And he's got some seriously noxious farts. I'm not sure if it's his food (Purina Kitten Chow) or not. He has solid stools - no diarrhea at all and no tapeworm segments around his rear end or in his litter box deposits. His stools smell just as bad as his gas too. No vomiting accompanying the gas either. I suppose it's not outside the realm of possibility for him to have a parasite in his belly considering he was born outdoors and has been outdoors for the first couple months of his life. His belly looks kind of bloated too, but as gassy as he is, that doesn't surprise me. He eats and drinks just fine - doesn't appear to be too much or too little.

Whatever's wrong, it's not slowing Kitty down at all. He's very active, plays until he wears himself out, is friendly and snuggly, purrs, and does not appear to be in pain at all. Kitty will be going to the vet pretty soon, but I'm wondering if folks here might be able to offer insight until that point. Have you ever experienced similar issues with kittens?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Given his start in life, I would assume he has the feline herpes virus. I'd be surprised if he didn't, given how common it is. This he will have for life, but the flare ups can be managed.
As for his tummy, there sure are a lot of different bugs he could have! Poor little guy, glad he's got a home now. Barn kitties usually have such a tough life.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little guy! Lysine is what you need for the sneezing, he has a VERY common respiratory infection that a lot of barn kittens get, usually their eyes are affected too. Feline herpes virus usually shows up in the eyes too, (it's not as bad as it sounds, it is really common among cats), Lysine works for that too. Both will usually clear up in a few weeks.As for the gas, it definitely could be a change in diet and I'll bet that once his system gets used to the change it will clear up. If it doesn't, you may want to change his food to something else. Also, table scraps will definitely cause gas too and should not be given. Good luck and keep us posted!

slykat12

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will let others chime in on the sneezing-although I am confident it needs to be addressed but I will comment on the toots. I got my kitten a year ago today . She was 10 weeks old. She had the most noxious gas I ever experienced. Now they had her on crappy food at the shelter=Science diet which has grains. And as I slowly weaned her off and onto better no grain and raw diet the farts still appeared, although less frequent until she was about 5 months old.  Since then she is stinky free.

Do check on the sneezing though!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

runekeeper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
An update on Kitty. His human took him to the vet for a checkup and I guess he just had an acute sinus/respiratory infection and was on antibiotics to take care of it. Also, the gas was cured with switching to canned food. He still lets out an occasional stinker, but not like before where he'd just crop dust the entire room.

But this kitty is CONSTANTLY hungry. I know he's a growing kitten and all, but I don't think he realizes that he's full. He'll eat half of a 5.5 ounce can of food and his belly will be visibly distended from being so full, and he'll still whine for a handout if he sees someone with food or who is near food. And when he does eat, he pretty much inhales his food. When he rushes to his bowl, I don't even think he comes to a complete stop before he starts eating. It's weird because, as far as I know, he's never been in a position where he had to fight for his food or has gone hungry (the original owners did keep him and his siblings fed once they were weaned).

It's definitely interesting being around him because there is no eating in peace. He'll meow and climb all over you incessantly in pursuit of a bite of whatever you're eating. I've just never seen a cat of any age go so nuts over food before.