Farming.. Rats or quails?

Dana_And_Monster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, apologies for the multiple posts.

My friend is moving and has a ton of coops and cages & tanks and all sorts of farming stuff he can't take with him, and was wondering if I wanted some. I was wondering what you guys thought of farming rats or quails for catfood, and maybe which one is better? I would be getting a co2 chamber for ethical euthanasia.

Several family members of mine have experience breeding quail and a few know about rats (but as pets so they probably won't be too happy lol)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think quail would be more expensive then rats to raise. You could sell the eggs though. How about small chickens like Bantams? You could sell the eggs here too. They aren't so picky in their feed, etc.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dana_And_Monster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would think quail would be more expensive then rats to raise. You could sell the eggs though. How about small chickens like Bantams? You could sell the eggs here too. They aren't so picky in their feed, etc.
I will look into those, problem is space at the moment, I was looking and I think rats are a pretty good deal - live up to 4 years and inbreeding isn't so much a problem.. Still debating on which to choose honestly, thank you for the input!

Mailmans_Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've bred rats for my snake. They have soul, as much as a cat or dog. Maybe get a rat or quail or spend some time with some to see who you'd want to spend more time with / would be able to slaughter?

Also, male rats STINK. But you get used to it.