Farmina’s (wet) Vetline line…any good?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Farmina seems to be offering a new canned catfood called Vetlife…both for gastro issues and another for urinary problems…has anyone tried it?
View attachment 438048

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to the pet store the other day and they had a Christmas tree with cards on it. You picked a card and received a free gift. I won 2 cans of Farmina wet. My cats are so sensitive, I'm afraid to try it. I know nothing about this brand either, other than it's quite pricey. I realize that's not what your question is about but I'm interested to read replies. These are the ones I got. All I know about it is that it's Italian.

Farmina.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
That’s their regular line…their quail and pumpkin helps keep my IBS cat regular, but every cat is different. (They have quail, pumpkin and coconut too…when he eats that his coat definitely feels more shiny/less static). I just wondered if their new vetline stuff was extra special or what. Quail and pumpkin has a nice balance between juice and meats, so my old boy is definitely getting the water he needs.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s their regular line…their quail and pumpkin helps keep my IBS cat regular, but every cat is different. (They have quail, pumpkin and coconut too…when he eats that his coat definitely feels more shiny/less static). I just wondered if their new vetline stuff was extra special or what. Quail and pumpkin has a nice balance between juice and meats, so my old boy is definitely getting the water he needs.
Thanks for the information. I'd love for my cats to be able to try different foods but they just get diarrhea at the drop of a hat. Pumpkin is good for that though. Might be worth trying a slow transition. I'd like to get them off kibble too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly (and this is just me and my vet talking) I wonder if kibble is often the reason for IBS, as that is what my dad fed him while he was alive, spoiling him rotten on that and putting extra gravy on his beloved‘s already pretty gravied Fancy Feast. I mean, when you think about it, when not dependent on us, ferals are out there, scrunching down birds and gophers etc. WHOLE, so they get bones, fur, fresh kidneys and livers (OK I’ll stop there) plus whatever fresh greens & berries the critter has et. Probably no vet or pet food company is going to recommend a steady diet of that, and I’m not here either, but at least out here in the country, that comes w/ no mystery ingredients like guar gum! I guess I am just irked by how prevalent IBS is…to the extent that I wonder if vets are seeking a CURE, or just charging us a heap of money to buy expensive “vet recommended” cat food. (OK sorry to rant: I know there are many good vets out there).….but yes, the pumpkin has been very helpful.

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Margot Lane Margot Lane

No, Rant on...I completely understand what you are saying!

I read that a small mouse is really all a cat needs daily in order to be well-nourished. Also, I am no cat expert by any means...but I've had cats for over 40 years, dogs too, and it seems to me that they are now getting all the diseases that humans get.

We already know that our food is full of garbage. Stands to reason that theirs probably is too. No disrespect to vets, they have overheads to pay, but they do always try to push the "recommended" food on you when you go. They also have such different opinions. It's so much more about money than people realize. An experienced country vet would most lilkely have an entirely different approach to things. I think that's why many city folks head out to the small town vets with their animals. I'm sure there are many natural cures for so many of these ailments.

All of my cats lived into their twenties, with the exception of one that had a bone tumor, and even she was 17 when we had to let her go. She was in perfect health otherwise (RIP Kokanee). None of them had any special or fancy diets. There are just so many choices out there now. It wasn't always like that. Now we spend all our time checking ingredients and hoping that we've made the best decisioins. From what I've seen, the "recommended" is not always the right choice either.

When I got my current kitties, they were on vet recommended food and had diarrhea. It was a back and forth fiasco to the vet, checking for worms and taking medications, trying various other vet recommended foods...nothing worked. Ended up doing my own thing. They are good now. I think it you find something that works for your animal, stick with it. Just my two cents. :heartshape: