Farmina N&d Quinoa Urinary

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all!

I thought I'd ask around if anyone here has tried the Farmina N&D Quinoa Duck Urinary (Farmina Pet Foods - Cat food - N&D Quinoa Functional Feline - Urinary Duck).
I know it's relatively new, so I'm not sure anyone here has tried it or not. It's a grain free urinary cat food. It seems super interesting. I know the dog food is very well reviewed (I'm selling this brand in my store), so I'm guessing the cat food is just as good quality wise.

If no one has tried it, I'll try to document how it goes with my Oscar! :)

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've never tried it. It does sound healthy but I don't like the fact that the third ingredient is pea starch and I don't really understand the benefits of quinoa to cats. Do you? But yes, if you do decide to try it then please document. Perhaps actual pictures of the food itself too?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From what I gather, the quinoa has some nutritional value to it (antioxidants,protein, magnesium, copper, manganese etc). I know it's safe for them to eat. Some places they're calling it a grain? But I've always heard of it being a seed. So I'm not sure. I'll post pictures of the kibble when I can. It doesn't look like what it shows on the website. I e-mailed the company, hopefully I'll get a reply.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Quinoa is a seed, not a grain. Lots of people are confused between the difference between a seed and a grains. They just assume everything is a grain. Like those quinoa grain bowls you see everywhere now that actually have no grain (rice, etc) in it, just the quinoa seed, veggies, and other things.

The Farmina dry food is just kibble shaped:

You can't see the quinoa or any other ingredient.

Cats aren't birds or small furry animals so they don't need seeds in their diet just like they don't need grains. It feels like some companies are taking the newest healthy food fad for Humans, like quinoa and gluten free, and applying it to pets and marketing it to Humans' perception of what is healthy and wholesome.

Dry food in general shouldn't be fed for urinary health reasons anyways. That's a whole subject on its own and has been discussed onTCS many times.

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm well aware that cats don't need any grain or seeds in their food. This is the best alternative I could find for urinary care, because I sure ain't gonna give him the vet food. I'm also very aware that dry food should be avoided at all cost. However, my oldest, Oscar, refuses to eat any wet food, treats, raw etc. I've been trying for years and he just refuses. So I decided to find a good quality dry food, grain free, that would be suitable for this urinary issues.
I've read all of those post about why dry food shouldn't be fed. But this is what it is for this guy. He's 16. I'm not going to start stressing him out by trying to get him to eat wet/raw food.

LaLasMama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi ChaoticEva,
I realize this is coming in late but I've only just found Catsite and just started feeding Farmina N&D Quinoa Duck Urinary to my 11yo cat. She, too, will not eat any wet/raw food whatsoever but so far seems to like the very expensive Farmina. She is a good drinker of water, however because of Struvite Crystal issue I wanted to be sure she got enough moisture in her diet. Now on my vet's advice I mix 'Fortiflora' feline probiotic (powder)with a little over 2 Tablespoons(35ml)of water and draw it into a handfeeding-like syringe. My cat thinks this is the best treat ever and can't wait to get it every night, even wiggles her ears like a kitten while sucking it from syringe. Hope this helps anyone in same situation with cat who will not eat wet food.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not tried the urinary food, i dont have a cat with issues that would require it. But i have tried quite a few of the other Farmina cat foods. The lamb and blueberry, and the pumpkin and venison are a really big hit with my guys. They have liked every Farmina food i have given them. I think its one of the best dry food on the market. I feed Dr. Elseys because it is even lower carb than Framina, but if i could not get Elseys Farmina would be my second choice. I do buy them a bag now and again for treats, they like it that well :)

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Glad more people have loved it! It's a big hit in my family as well. It's the lowest carb food I can find in Canada + it's a urinary formula, so for my old man who refuses to eat any wet or raw food, it's a winner!

alibali

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats with struvite crystals. I wanted to use Elseys but it makes one of my boys vomit. The Farmina doesn’t upset his stomach, but I wonder how much it really treats crystals... are they relying on the cranberry? Or does it really have enough dL-methionine? I feed wet all they will take but sometimes they just get super picky and won’t eat anything but dry food so at least this one isn’t terrible!

wdstkchik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve been feeding my cats the N&D Quinoa Urinary for almost 2 years. I have 4 cats that all eat the N&D but only 1 of them (Diesel) has had urinary crystals in the past. After his episode he (and the other 3) were eating a prescription food for urinary care for about a year and then I started mixing in the N&D. I had Diesel tested every 3 months because I was paranoid about not giving him straight prescription but no crystals! All of the cats love this food. This is a really good quality product. They also just started a dog food line.

noradinu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats were eating the Urinary SO from Royal Canin and it gave one of them serious allergies and malnutrition. The N&D urinary has been a life saver. Not only do they love it but it is also gentle on their stomach. One of them has pancreatitis and she tolerates this the best, even better then raw food. Maybe because it has chamomile in it among other good ingredients. They have not had urinary problems on this food. I wish all cat guardians new about it.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have not tried the Farmina urinary foods but do use other wet foods by Farmina: duck and pumpkin, quail and pumpkin, lamb and blueberry + boar and apple.
All well liked by my two.