Farmer's Markets?

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm planning to sell my cat harnesses and toys this year at the local farmer's market. Do any of ya'll have experience as sellers at an event such as a farmer's market? Any tips on booth design, advertising strategies, etc.?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm in Australia, but have seen similar stalls here and have some experience of markets.
  • Lots and lots of stock.. people love to see a profusion of products.
  • Bright colours and lots of pictures of cats using your things.. You know how much people love looking at animal pictures and it draws them in.
  • Lots of layering... not just a table full of stuff, but hanging things etc.
  • Are you using a tent or marquee?  It's great if people can have something to 'get under' if it's raining or very hot.
  • Where they put you at a market is really really important... but often outside your control.  But if you have a choice, go for the thoroughfares, not the dead-ends etc.
Good luck!

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had some experience with the gem and mineral and craft shows.

- Do a mock up of your booth/table at home. Figure out your set up, then pack from there.
This can save time in setting up when you get to the market.

- I recommend a wheeled cart of some kind. Never know how far you will have to park.

- Comfortable folding seat and cooler for your drink and food.

- Is there someone you trust who can help - bathroom breaks and if things get busy?
(Scout out where the bathrooms are. Not just for you, but for customers in case they ask. )

- Be sure you have enough cash when you start because the first customer will invariably give you a large bill. :rolleyes:

Supplies - tape, scissors, black markers, blank cards, rubber bands, sacks for purchases, note pad for ideas for next sale...

Hope these help and good luck! :dollars:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry that I haven't responded to ya'll yet, but it's been long enough already! Thank you for all of the tips and advice, it was very helpful. The markets have been going alright, but it's a very small market so I don't get many customers. I don't think pet harnesses are something many people buy "on a whim". I'm hoping to start selling online and perhaps use the markets as a little bit of advertising. Thanks again!

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Getting off the subject a bit of selling items I was wondering if you prefer getting your fruit and veggies from the farmers market or do you prefer road side stands ?