Fangs that stick out

JennKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, I hope that you're all safe and healthy :)

I have noticed that my cat's two fangs are somewhat sticking out. It's not very visible, but it's there.
IMG_20200730_155939.jpg

You can see a little bit of his fang from the picture above.
Here's a clearer picture:
IMG_20200730_160004.jpg

His fangs are just so much bigger than the rest of his teeth, it's starting to stick out of his mouth.

Here's some information about him:
- He's an American Shorthair? (From what the breeder said, not too sure)
- He's almost 2 years old
- I brush his teeth at least 2 times a week
- He eats a diet of kibble, and from time to time, cooked meat

Is this normal? If not, what can I do to help?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's normal. Mingo's fangs stick out like that sometimes, and he looks like a vampire. One black cat at the rescue had fangs that hung out all the time, and they named him Count Chocula. :p

A diet of wet food would be better for him as male cats sometimes get crystals from dry food only.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JennKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's normal. Mingo's fangs stick out like that sometimes, and he looks like a vampire. One black cat at the rescue had fangs that hung out all the time, and they named him Count Chocula. :p

A diet of wet food would be better for him as male cats sometimes get crystals from dry food only.
Thank you! I was getting worried for no reason.
What wet foods do you recommend?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my two Fancy Feast and some Friskies. They get one meal of kibble, and I mix a little water into Mingo's FF. He has had one episode of crystals and doesn't drink a lot of water. Other members have their favorites too and will chime in soon.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Links top fangs are visible most of the time (at least at the right angle).

20200321_135700.jpg

Nothing is wrong with it for most cats. There are cats with overbites and underbites just like in humans. In rare cases they can cause problems or need Veterinary care to correct because of chewing issues or pain from it. But as long as your cat isn't having problems related it their bite, it is fine.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even a slight curl or twitch in their mouth can expose a surprising amount of fangs. Those weapons are there we just dont see them often.

20170412_165020-1-1.jpg