Fancy feast

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Casper scarfs and barfs it usually happens in the span of fifteen to thirty minutes and it's usually his dry food.

We feed him both, wet and dry. His dry is available 24/7. His canned food is a couple of small portions throughout the day.

It's his dry food that makes him scarf and barf. He has to be able to walk by at any time, day or night, and see that his dry food is there, even if he doesn't eat it. He will just go and sniff his bowl to check on it then walk away without touching it. If the bowl isn't there, if there isn't enough food in it or isn't to his liking for any reason, he'll scarf and barf the next time we fill the bowl. He doesn't do it so much with canned food but has done it once or twice.

If your cat is tossing her cookies after an hour, I'd say that she might be scarfing and barfing. Since it's canned food, that might make the timing different.

I'd suggest keeping an eye on her feeding behavior to see whether it is food insecurity that's causing it.

I know that, with Casper, if there is even a tiny peek of the bottom of the bowl showing through it will trigger him. If he goes by his food spot and his bowl isn't there for any longer than it takes to clean and refill it, that can be a trigger, too.

I don't think that a slow feeder will solve Casper's problem. He's an only cat. He doesn't have food competition with any other cats. Casper's problem comes because he needs to know that food will be available whenever he needs it. Consistency of supply is Casper's trigger, not speed of eating.

In the summer, we put his food bowl on a small tray filled with water to keep the ants out and even THAT can trigger him for the first day or two!

Basically, if your cat has food insecurity and does the "Scarf and Barf" thing, if you watch, you might be able to figure out what her triggers are.

If you can't find any triggers, I would definitely investigate other causes. Probably time to call your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ridblu226

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed all of my cats in different bowls and placed apart. It's mainly the dry food that they throw up . They always have dry food . And water. They all are indoor cats

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I feed all of my cats in different bowls and placed apart. It's mainly the dry food that they throw up . They always have dry food . And water. They all are indoor cats
Oh - I must have missed something - so, they throw up mostly the dry, not the wet? So, the dry is also Fancy Feast?

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
if they are eating dry food too fast, you can try a Puzzle feeder ..or even just putting a golf ball in the food bowl. it slows them down as they have to eat around it. Puzzle feeders are designed for this purpose , so they dont scarf food. they work pretty well. I got one for a few pets that ate too fast , which caused tummy trouble. the puzzle feeders are not expensive and you can get them at pet stores or chewy . com ..I got one for my friends dog .. she really benefited from it as well !! that poor dog ate so fast she ended up with gastritis ! worth a try ! good luck !

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it continues, it may be a food issue. I had a stomach bug of some kind go through my cats last week, they threw up several times during the night, didn't eat, and became lethargic. They have leukemia so it affects them worse. First one cat and then after a couple of days, the next, until it went through all three. One did have diarrhea too for a few days. I don't know what it was, but I'm glad it's gone, they are back to normal now! They too get Fancy Feast in the mornings, not at night. That is why I was interested in this thread. It doesn't explain why one at a time though, that seems more illness-related.