Fancy feast

Ridblu226

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been feeding fancy feast cat food to all my cats .I have 4 . ages 13y - 4y - 3y - 7 months . my 13y has been throwing up for a while I thought it was her age . but now the the 7 has started to throw up . has anyone else have this problem.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been feeding fancy feast cat food to all my cats .I have 4 . ages 13y - 4y - 3y - 7 months . my 13y has been throwing up for a while I thought it was her age . but now the the 7 has started to throw up . has anyone else have this problem.
Is there anything else that you've noticed that is going on specifically with these 2 cats??
Any diarrhea
How are the litter box routine happening
Any changes I mean
Just anything else that is happening besides the throwing up
Just asking to maybe where the members on here can have a complete list of any other changes..

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
google Fancy Feast reviews and complaints. when you get the search page go to the sites that allow people to post their experiences, not just review blogs. That way you can see what a very wide range of people have experienced. Just check the dates on the posts so you'll know if they are recent or not.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are they all eating the exact same Fancy Feast food? What kind of Fancy Feast foods are we talking about? How long ago did the 13yo start throwing up? And, for clarification, the other cat who is now throwing up is the 7 month old - I wasn't sure? Also, are they throwing up very quickly after eating, or hours later?

Answers to these questions might help with coming up with some other ideas.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they all eating the exact same Fancy Feast food? What kind of Fancy Feast foods are we talking about? How long ago did the 13yo start throwing up? And, for clarification, the other cat who is now throwing up is the 7 month old - I wasn't sure? Also, are they throwing up very quickly after eating, or hours later?

These are really good questions from FeebysOwner because so many things -- whether related to food or not -- can cause a cat to vomit.

I would also add the question: What comes up when they vomit? Is it undigested food? Partially digested food? Or just liquid that looks a little yellowish?

I don't know where you live, R Ridblu226 , but one of our cats always vomits more at this time of year. We're not sure if it's because of pollen (which our vet says could be a problem because it can be on fur that they lick) or because she always seems to shed a lot at the end of summer. All I know is that this year's problem seems to be letting up.

KittyCatCove

Daddy of 4
Adult Cat
Purraise
Probably a good idea to get your 13yo a fully blood work-up just to make sure nothing is wrong. As people have said, there are so many reasons why they can throw up.

My sweet boy Buddy (RIP) started throwing up a lot. It turns out he was in the latter stages of CKD.

When I first got my rescue cat Teddy he gobbled his food (FF) up very quickly (opportunistic feeding response from being on the streets) which caused him to throw up. I had to give him 1/2 the 3oz can and then the rest 2 hours later. It took about 3 months when he began to realize no one was going to steal his food away from him. Now he no longer gobbles and throws up.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably a good idea to get your 13yo a fully blood work-up just to make sure nothing is wrong. As people have said, there are so many reasons why they can throw up.

My sweet boy Buddy (RIP) started throwing up a lot. It turns out he was in the latter stages of CKD.

When I first got my rescue cat Teddy he gobbled his food (FF) up very quickly (opportunistic feeding response from being on the streets) which caused him to throw up. I had to give him 1/2 the 3oz can and then the rest 2 hours later. It took about 3 months when he began to realize no one was going to steal his food away from him. Now he no longer gobbles and throws up.
That's a very good point about the 13-year-old cat. If she hasn't had a senior blood panel already, this would be a good time to have one done.

And I so agree with what you say about your Teddy! Our Edwina (also a rescue cat) has this same problem so we have to feed lots of meals. She's been with us for almost eight years now and is finally starting to feel more secure about her food.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise

Definitely needs blood work

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fancy Feast can be a little rich for some kitties or it can be some fillers are triggering allergies . You can try switching to a lighter food , but I would still check with a vet to be sure something else isnt going on. FF can have corn / soy in it which some kitties dont tolerate. Iams is grain free .. they might do better with something like that ..my friends kitty did great with wet food but would vomit Salmon of any kind ! it was just too rich for him !! then my kitty , Bella , could eat anything that didnt eat her first.. they are all unique :winkcat::lovecat2: !

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first got my rescue cat Teddy he gobbled his food (FF) up very quickly (opportunistic feeding response from being on the streets) which caused him to throw up.
Our cat, Casper, also does the "Scarf and Barf" thing.

He, too, was abandoned and has food insecurity issues. They have gotten better over the years we've had him but they have never completely gone away.

As it stands, now, Casper can NOT see an empty food bowl. If he sees a little peek of the bottom of the bowl, he starts getting insecure, thinking he's running out of food. As soon as we fill his bowl again, he runs over, eats his fill then barfs it up fifteen minutes later. Consequently, we have to keep his food bowl topped up at all times, even if all we do is pick it up, give it a shake and make sure that no sign of the bottom of the bowl is visible. That's actually one of our tricks. We periodically "check his food" a couple of times per day.

If you have four cats in the house, there might be some kind of food competition going on between them. One of your cats is older with her oldest housemate being half her age. The older cat might be thinking that she has to hurry up and eat all the food before the young whipper-snappers get it.

Your other cats might also be picking this behavior up from the oldest. Even if she is old, the other cats might think of her as "Top Cat" and take their cues from her.

I don't know if this is all true but, if it is, feeding all the cats separately might help solve the problem. That way, all the cats will know that their food is theirs, alone, and won't be tempted to scarf it up, thinking that another cat might come and steal it.

Still, it would probably be a good thing to get your cats checked out by a vet, just for peace of mind. :)

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if this is all true but, if it is, feeding all the cats separately might help solve the problem. That way, all the cats will know that their food is theirs, alone, and won't be tempted to scarf it up, thinking that another cat might come and steal it.
This really helps with our two cats! The cat with the food insecurity eats quickly (she'll also scarf and barf, it sounds like she and Casper have a few things in common!) and then goes to munge her sister's leftovers. We feed them separately for most of their meals. It helps tremendously.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I never tried this, but another solution for the "scarf and barf" cats is a "slow feeder" bowl. They are big enough for all of the cats to eat together because their purpose is to prevent bloat in high-risk dogs.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If your cats throw up right after eating it's from eating too fast. Do they through up food,food with hairballs, or just water ? One of my cats I feed in my bedroom. Being with my other cats makes her eat too fast. Also eat 3x a day and night with a food timer has helped. I sleep 9 hrs. That's too long for them to not have food. Small amounts. Brush every day. if it's before eating it could be acid reflux so a food timer would help. And of course take your senior cat to be checked. It is possible that after eating the same food for so long has caused the throwing up. Especially since fancy feast is high in carbs. Its possible the senior cat can no longer have fancy feast. If the vet suggests dry food I would disagree. She needs the moisture

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I have noticed a decline in all Friskies cat food products the past year. Not sure why but lately the cats do not enjoy this brand as much. :angrycat::kitty:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's because I've been mixing in more healthy food. Now that's what they want

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ridblu226

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

13 y has be enough throwing up for a while 7 month old for the passed month fancy feast with gravy like chicken and chunky chicken . they want eat the pate

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ridblu226

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
13 y has be enough throwing up for a while 7 month old for the passed month fancy feast with gravy like chicken and chunky chicken . they want eat the pate
They throw up after about a hour or so