Fancy Feast

happysky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I cured my cat of FD and I used fancy Feast due to the low carbs...but I noticed the salmon had nitrates and colorings..Not! Lately it has been sold and the quality has gone way down using more nitrates and colorings and wheat gluten! Sorry to see this happen to a food that cats once liked. I discovered Reveal which is just meat or fish (No meals or fillers, by-products.) Expensive but the meat/fish is packed in there tightly w/o much moisture..so I now mix it in with the friskies he likes (he came as a senior foster cat). Then I know he's getting good quality meat. He does get raw chicken warmed in the AM and also some of Chewy's freeze dried balanced raw that I rehydrate.

Last edited by a moderator:

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last time I looked at Reveal, it was not a complete cat food. For example, the chicken flavor is just chicken breast in chicken broth. This is not enough. For starters, this is lacking calcium. If you feed your cats only this food, you will have unhealthy cats with weak bones. Please make certain that it contains an AAFCO statement that says it is a nutritionally complete and balanced food appropriate for all life stages.

More on AAFCO statements:
AAFCO and Its Influence On Pet Food Labels - IAMS

A better food that is similar to Reveal but nutritionally balanced and complete would be Tiki Cat and especially the Tiki Cat After Dark line.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, by-products get a bad rap. I won't defend meals or other filler ingredients.

AAFCO definition of meat by-products:

Meat by-products is the non-rendered, clean parts, other than meat, derived from slaughtered mammals. It includes, but is not limited to, lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, livers, blood, bone, partially de-fatted low temperature fatty tissue, and stomachs and intestines freed of their contents. It does not include hair, horns, teeth and hoofs. It shall be suitable for use in animal feed. If it bears a name descriptive of its kind, it must correspond thereto.”

To put it another way, it is most of the parts of the animal other than the muscle tissue, including the internal organs and bones. It includes some of the parts people eat (such as livers, kidneys and tripe), but also parts that are not typically consumed by humans in the US. Some by-products, like udders and lungs are not deemed "edible" by USDA for human consumption, but they can be perfectly safe and nutritious for animals not inclined to be swayed by the unappealing nature of these parts of animals. As with "meat," unless the by-products are derived from cattle, pigs, sheep or goats, the species must be identified.
Source: The Association of American Feed Control Officials > Consumers > What is in Pet Food

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's great that your diabetic cat is now regulated with diet only :agree: There is no cure for diabetes but it can be well managed with the right diet and / or insulin., just like it is with Human diabetics.

And daftcat75 daftcat75 is right. Reveal canned cat food is NOT a complete balanced diet. It is only a supplement / complement aka treat type food because the foods contain just one protein and broth. No vitamins or minerals. This is from the web site's FAQs: Reveal complementary pet foods are perfectly safe to feed with complete cat or dog food as part of a balanced diet.

If you continue to feed Reveal, your cat will develop nutritional deficiencies. Please feed a complete balanced low carb canned food instead. You may want to join this cat diabetes board to get members' suggestions on good brands of food to feed: Feline Diabetes Message Board - FDMB

Edited to add, while FF is often suggested as a low carb food for newbies since it's inexpensive and widely available it is not the only brand you can feed to a diabetic cat. I fed my diabetic cat a variety of higher end brands: Nature's Variety, Innova EVO, and a few others.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
FDMB boards are very good....I went there for a completely different issue, not even a major one, about a year ago and they were very responsive.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the Fancy Feast Naturals line? It's one of the foods I can get Delilah to eat on occasion.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friskies also has coloring and other bad stuff in it. Rawz, koha, tiki cat, weruva, ziwi peak, are all really good ones. Dr elsey's is also pretty good to. Rawz is having issues with stock problems..