Fancy Feast vs. Sheba

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know neither of these brands are super high end canned cat food, but they're at the top of my affordability.  I got them a case of Fancy Feast and they ate it, but they didn't seem to love it.  They always left a little bit and didn't seem to have a huge interest.  So, today, I bought some Sheba.  They licked their bowls clean.  Clearly, they like it better. Is it a better food than Fancy Feast?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Neither are bad really, and the fancy feast should be the classics, which are pate style rather than the shreds or chunky, the classic pates are grain free which is a good thing.

Sheba is okay too, compare their labels and the first 5 ingredients are what counts.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I consider them to be at the same level. I feed both Sheba and Fancy Feast. My cats seem to like Sheba better. With Sheba, I can also feed the other textures since these don't have corn or grain like Fancy Feasts non pate flavors.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
www.catinfo.org will give you the breakdown of each of the flavors within the brand.  That way you can pick out the best ones and avoid some of the others.  Many kinds of Fancy Feast are just fine.  Paying a lot more does not always mean better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

www.catinfo.org will give you the breakdown of each of the flavors within the brand.  That way you can pick out the best ones and avoid some of the others.  Many kinds of Fancy Feast are just fine.  Paying a lot more does not always mean better.
Yes, that is definitely true.  Connor and Murphy just seem to like Sheba more than Fancy Feast.  They have expensive taste, apparently.  Spoiled rotten, is what they are!  Haha

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
FF & Sheba, certain ones are not bad, I was considering switching my cats to either or, but they wouldn't eat any of it. Well I take that back, the only FF they'll eat is the Purely, which has like 5 bites in it & I have 3 cats.

All of these are under 10% carbs, have high protein, lower fat.

ff Classic Chopped Grill Feast

ff Classic Tender Beef & Chicken Feast

ff Classic Tender Beef & Liver Feast

ff classic tender liver & chicken feast

ff Classic Turkey & Giblets Feast

ff purely fancy feast natural white meat chicken 

ff purely fancy feast natural white meat chicken & shredded beef

sheba cuts chicken entrée

sheba PREMIUM CUTS Mixed Grill Entree 

sheba pate chicken entrée

sheba pate turkey entrée

sheba perfect portions pate roasted turkey entrée

sheba perfect portions pate savory chicken entrée

sheba perfect portions tender beef

sheba perfect portions roasted chicken & liver

If you go with different varieties especially the gravy ones, watch out cause your cat will probably get fat

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now they're 6 months old so they're still growing. I'll keep an eye on their weight, though.

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
if they're 6 mo old, aren't you feeding some kind of kitten food? I guess it doesn't really matter much

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, it's great to see this thread. I have had a little black kitty pretty much staying on my porch. After a weekend, I decided to go ahead & feed him. My budget is tight right now, so I have also been buying f.f. I knew from reading on this site a few yrs ago, that at least the classics were ok.

When I had Angel :rbheart: he was on a urinary formula, & after things were better, I kept him on it, after having crystals twice.
For those who don't know, I lost my sweet boy 7 months ago to lymphoma, despite 2 months of chemo.
I was NO where ready for another kitty. That wasn't in the plan for a long time, (wanted to have some freedom to travel for a while before committing again). but this little boy seems to have other ideas.
I haven't posted about him yet, because it's still kind of unofficial.

Last edited:

hellomisskitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, it's great to see this thread. I have had a little black kitty pretty much staying on my porch. After a weekend, I decided to go ahead & feed him. My budget is tight right now, so I have also been buying f.f. I knew from reading on this site a few yrs ago, that at least the classics were ok.

When I had Angel :rbheart: he was on a urinary formula, & after things were better, I kept him on it, after having crystals twice.
For those who don't know, I lost my sweet boy 7 months ago to lymphoma, despite 2 months of chemo.
I was NO where ready for another kitty. That wasn't in the plan for a long time, (wanted to have some freedom to travel for a while before committing again). but this little boy seems to have other ideas.
I'm excited to hear about this mystery man when/if you make it official [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@Angels mommy  that is so amazing!!!  I'm so happy for you.  I'm sure it will work out!

They're on a mixed diet right now.  Dry Purina kitten formula out all the time and soft food a couple times a day.  I'm considering switching them to raw if I get to a point where I can afford it.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Yes, that is definitely true.  Connor and Murphy just seem to like Sheba more than Fancy Feast.  They have expensive taste, apparently.  Spoiled rotten, is what they are!  Haha
Nothing wrong with Sheba; I just have never used it or looked it up.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know neither of these brands are super high end canned cat food, but they're at the top of my affordability.  I got them a case of Fancy Feast and they ate it, but they didn't seem to love it.  They always left a little bit and didn't seem to have a huge interest.  So, today, I bought some Sheba.  They licked their bowls clean.  Clearly, they like it better. Is it a better food than Fancy Feast?
Is usually go with Sheba personally. The pates not the cuts. Mine love the turkey, the chicken and the chicken and liver. Turkey is the favorite though. I get the Sheba turkey and chicken through my Amazon subscribe and save and since I have 5 or more items in my order, I get a case of 24 for $10.20 (.43 cents a can). They are .50 cents per can at Wal Mart and more at other places.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

This is so exciting. Angel had a paw in this. This new sweetie will never take Angel's place. He cannot and doesn't want to try. He will find his own little corner of your heart to occupy. :clap:

RIP Angel. None of us will ever forget you. Keep watching over your mama :rbheart::angel:

There is nothing wrong with FF classics.

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Right now they're 6 months old so they're still growing. I'll keep an eye on their weight, though.
I agree with you on the kitten food!  Kittens under 1 year require twice the calories of adults because of their rapid growth.  I think it matters more with dry than wet but you want to give them the best start in life.  Fancy Fest does make a kitten line but it is not always available.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is so exciting. Angel had a paw in this. This new sweetie will never take Angel's place. He cannot and doesn't want to try. He will find his own little corner of your heart to occupy. :clap:

RIP Angel. None of us will ever forget you. Keep watching over your mama :rbheart::angel:

There is nothing wrong with FF classics.
Aww, Thank you so much for that! Really.
I was no where ready, I didn't want a commitment that I'd have to be here for, after not being able to go out of town, even for a weekend for years, ( it felt nice to feel free, so to speak), but this little guy has other plans.
He is really sweet. Head butts, & face rubs. I've been hesitating, but I think he's here to stay.
As long as I don't have any issues w/ my landlord. (He had made a statement about no more pets, a cpl months ago, because I called when my dwnstrs neighbor had someone staying there one wknd w/ a dog who barked for 2 hrs when they left one night. Should've kept my mouth shut).
Anyway, that's also why I hadn't "made it official." Guess I should start a thread soon!

Ok, sorry for hyjacking the thread. Didn't mean to.
Thanks for the great info! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I agree with you on the kitten food!  Kittens under 1 year require twice the calories of adults because of their rapid growth.  I think it matters more with dry than wet but you want to give them the best start in life.  Fancy Fest does make a kitten line but it is not always available.
I don't think I've ever seen the Fancy Feast kitten line.
Aww, Thank you so much for that! Really.
I was no where ready, I didn't want a commitment that I'd have to be here for, after not being able to go out of town, even for a weekend for years, ( it felt nice to feel free, so to speak), but this little guy has other plans.
He is really sweet. Head butts, & face rubs. I've been hesitating, but I think he's here to stay.
As long as I don't have any issues w/ my landlord. (He had made a statement about no more pets, a cpl months ago, because I called when my dwnstrs neighbor had someone staying there one wknd w/ a dog who barked for 2 hrs when they left one night. Should've kept my mouth shut).
Anyway, that's also why I hadn't "made it official." Guess I should start a thread soon!

Ok, sorry for hyjacking the thread. Didn't mean to.
Thanks for the great info! [emoji]128522[/emoji]
Is usually go with Sheba personally. The pates not the cuts. Mine love the turkey, the chicken and the chicken and liver. Turkey is the favorite though. I get the Sheba turkey and chicken through my Amazon subscribe and save and since I have 5 or more items in my order, I get a case of 24 for $10.20 (.43 cents a can). They are .50 cents per can at Wal Mart and more at other places.
Thanks for the info - I will definitely check that out.