Fancy feast transition help!

Sweetpea.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have fed 2 of my cats fancy feast medley their entire life. Over the last year their poo started turning vanilla and was like frozen yogurt style. FF had a formula change and every case I got had actual moldy meat. Lead to diarrhea bloody stools etc. I had some back stock of the old food and noticed the old food was also green! Not sure for how long that has been going on, can’t imagine long or I would have noticed. My cats are extremely picky and I have tried everything under the sun to switch them. FF Medley is the only thing they will eat. I finally came across the Purina pro plan chicken and rice. They ate it and poo went back to normal. After about two weeks I started getting cans with the heavy odors, some with mildew smell, the food looks darker / different from my first batches, and we are back to diarrhea. Soo if anyone can recommend a food that is very similar in style to FF medley shredded tuna and salmon, they eat chicken too. They liked the Purina pro chicken and rice and salmon and rice. They will not eat pate!! I’m desperate as I have nothing to feed my cats right now. I’ve gone back to feeding them some of my old back stock of FF shredded salmon but have 12 cans left. Attached is a picture of the new formula fancy feast medley shredded tuna. Please do not feed this to your cats…. My girls no longer drink water and with the diarrhea I’m afraid we will end up in a hospital visit for fluids. I am desperate for help. I’m to the point of thinking about just baking them a each a chicken strip 2x a day. Anything would be better than what I’ve been buying and that is something they will eat. On another note my senior cat only eats pate. She ate medley copped grill ( no longer eats new formula) regular flaked tuna, chunky chicken, chunky turkey. FF totally changed the the Chunky food, she won’t eat that anymore. And something is up with the flaked as the new cans i just received she doesn’t not want to eat. I noticed they also have the strong smell like similar to the Purina and have the same expiration date. Recently I got her some senior pro plan 11+ chicken and tuna& salmon which she will take a bite. I feel like this girl is starving. She’s 16 years old. I just ordered some baby food (only meat and broth no added salts or anything). I know im asking for a lot of help my old girl I’ll just keep trying every pate I can find but I really need help on the shredded food transition.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I responded to your other thread with a food texture chart that I noticed you have already seen. Purina canned odor | TheCatSite

This time I wanted to respond to the baby food meats. I supplement my cat's food intake with baby food meat, enough so that I started to look in to how to make them nutritionally complete. So, I thought I would share what I used as a starting point for making baby food meat into an actual cat meal (see file below). The web site where this came from also has additional information about how to make raw and home cooked foods complete as well. Raw Feeding for IBD Cats - Feline IBD. Even though the web site appears geared to raw foods for cats with IBD, most of everything they discuss can be applied to home cooked foods and healthy cats.

Attachments

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sweetpea. Sweetpea. Did you report the issue to both companies? It's vital that we report issues. If you have the chance, please call customer support lines for each.

I haven't had issues with purina pro plan chicken and rice myself. It's what my cat has been on since having tummy issues. The salmon one is a bit smelly as it is fish.

Is there anything around your house they could be getting in to or chew on? Do you have a plant that could cause diahera? I'm also wondering if they caught a stomach bug from the Fancy Feast that may need medicine from a vet. Can you take a "stool" sample for testing?

Instinct has chunks.

Wureva has some similar textures and some ones with pumpkin which could help firm up some poo if it's not a viral or bacterial issue.

Royal Canin and Science Diet both have sensitive tummy formulas in chunks.

Iams Perfect Portions has chunks ones which my cat on the Purina will attempt to steal from the cat who's on Iams.

If in Canada, PC brand has some flake/chunks versions that you can get at any Loblaws/Shoppers subsidiary company.

Tips to get a cat to eat:
1. Warm up the food
2. Try hand feeding the first bit
3. Touch a bit to their lips to encourage tasting

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will add that plants that are safe for cats, such as spider plants, may still cause diahera if eaten too much for some cats.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh I've just seen that FeebysOwner FeebysOwner says this is not your first post regarding this issue.

Sweetpea. Sweetpea.

How are you storing your cat food? Is it out of direct sunlight. Is the food within the expiry date on the can?

Lastly, are you washing your cats bowls between each meal? It must be asked, especially in light of recent studies showing high cases of Salmonella and other diseases on dog and cats bowls from lack of washing. The below is for dogs, but there's been MANY articles regarding cat and dog bowls in the last 2 years. How Often Do You Wash Your Dog's Bowl? Probably Not Enough

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If, as you say, Sweetpea. Sweetpea. , the food smells off and looks moldy, it, undoubtedly is. It is the responsibility of the manufacturer to produce clean, non-molded food and package it in such a way that it remains clean and not molded when the customer buys it. You are not personally responsible for what happens inside an unopened can of food as long as -1- it's not dented (if it is don't buy it) -2- the expiration date has not been reached.

As A Alldara says you should report this to the company, they may even ask you to send them the spoiled food. However, do not expect them to -1- replace the spoiled food -2- investigate the situation -3- have a recall. I say this going by previous practices of this company. They may surprise me, people, occasionally do.

If I were you, I'd just try to find another brand by another Manufacturer. When you change brands but the food is produced by the same manufacturer there is a very good chance the change won't really accomplish very much.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another thing, if you want to keep up with what other people are experiencing -- remember it takes the illnesses and deaths of many many many animals to get a recall -- search food name reviews and complaints. Check the dates on complaints so you'll know what's recent.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I will say that I do not know about Fancy Feast but Purina did reimburse me for food where I ended up with chunks way too large. They also sent me coupons for a free bag and $5 off. I did not expect this.

Wellness said they would reimburse me when my cat got sick but they did not. They were very grateful that I called and I said reimbursement was not necessary though. I returned the cans to the store.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sweetpea.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for replying so promptly, this is greatly appreciated. I am not very familiar with message boards but I am going to attempt to directly reply to everyone in one message. Hope this works. FeebysOwner FeebysOwner thank you for this link. Raw food was going to be my next question. This is way off topic but growing up my first childhood cat ate only raw deer meat, occasionally store bought beef and would graze hard food. She lived to be 20. I think that’s why she lived so long. That was before the internet lol now knowing about vitamins and such, she prob would have lived to 30! Anyhow I ordered some chicken breast tenders for tonight that I’m going to bake for the twins, toying with the idea of getting some ground beef and seeing if they will eat it raw just to get by until I find something canned I feel safe feeding them. Prob stick with the baked chicken for now, also ordered some ground chicken. The older cat will not eat the baked chicken. But thank you for that site I’d love to learn more about raw.

A Alldara I reported to chewys when I found the moldy fancy feast. They said they would report to manufacture. I asked if they would relay any info back if they found any kind of bacteria or anything I need to be aware of. I want to say I couldn’t find contact info for them or could not get ahold of them directly. I can’t remember. I was able to get in touch with Purina directly. This was when I first noticed the very strong odor, before I got the case that smelt like mildew. They told me the smell could be bacteria. He took the lot number and said he would send me free coupons for the number of cases I was throwing away. I received in the mail coupons for 4 free cans not cases lol. When I first switched brands, the cases I was getting had no smell and the product was a light color. The newer cases I’m getting now with an odor, the meat is darker and in one batch, this was a batch after my phone call to Purina, there seems to be a green tint to the gravy. Just like I started seeing in the fancy feast! I just realized over the last couple days they are owned by the same company.

So far it seems that all cans that have a smell have an exp of July 2024

I have no plants in my house.

I first noticed frozen yogurt poo (vanilla color and looks just like frozen yogurt) from one of the twins in 2019. We had all checked out and everything was normal. They said try probiotics, it may have been stress. They wouldn’t eat their food with the probiotics so that didn’t really stick. Fast forward/ rewind? to this time last year. The twins start going into a down phase with diarrhea and keeping to themself. One is crying at the potty box. One was much worse, having very bad diarrhea, weak, lethargic not wanting move much. Texted my vet, he said bring her now sounds like possible pancreatitis and admitted her. Several weeks before I had put to sleep my 15 yr pup. He knew how hard that was and just wanted to take every precaution. She was super dehydrated. Once he realized it was both cats having issues he said it’s not going to be pancreatitis in both cats. We did PCR in stools on all three cats. In the twins, It came up with something I would have to look it up.. it’s something that is prevalent in many animals and shouldnt cause issues but he gave Metronidazole. Again precaution, I just lost my dog he’s making sure not to miss a thing. We ended up agreeing not to give the medicine because it was too hard and too traumatic for everyone. It’s also sticky and causing mats.. The cats perked up but stools never totally got normal. He recommended biome, they would not eat. I tired RC fiber response 1 cat would eat the wet for her lunch sometimes but they have since changed the formula and she will not touch. It is now a watery based Chunk vs a creamy. Her sister will eat the hard food and continues to get some everyday. Immediately following I moved. I lost the best vet you could ever ask for. They were taken to a new vet here as follow up and she said it must be genetic because it’s only two cats that sometimes have this vanilla poo. She wanted to admit them to another hospital about 30 mins away for ultra sound, X-ray, GI panel, urine testing etc. This was February I was new to town the hospital has horrible reviews , I didn’t know the place and I didn’t have help. I knew I would be moving again as soon as my house sold so I figured I would find a better hospital closer to where my permanent home was, I didn’t think it would take this long.

I decided to started the probiotics giving 1/2 capsules and their stools started improving. Anytime I would move to 1 capsules one of the cats always would get diarrhea so I stick with 1/2. No more diarrhea for a good while! Then FF formula changed and so did their poo color! No more vanilla color. It was normal brown. This convinced me it wasnt an issue with the cats it was their food causing the color. Then I start seeing blood spots in the litter box and diarrhea starts again.

We finally got moved (again) into the new house! So much light in this house compared to where I was temporarily staying previously. This is when I noticed the mold and the green tint in the FF I was horrified I been feeding them this for at least a month. I switched back to some older cases of FF and found mold in those as well. Up until now I’ve had no help here. I am disabled and immune compromised. I have lived in quarantine away from friends and family for over 2 years. Sooo before you throw stones at me for not getting help sooner, please know that my girls mean more to me than anything in this world. I would do anything for them. I nursed them from 2 weeks, like most ppl they are like my children. I am now closer to family who can help me with vets appt, hospital stays etc if that’s what we need to do. But now that I have some help here… same day home delivery you can’t order one can of something and have it delivered.. you have to order cases. Now I was able to order/get picked up by family and leave at my door 1 of like 20 things for them to try, and walk away from haha. Purina pro plan chicken and rice was a winner! Their stool was great, no smell. Finally my biggest worry seemed to be solved. 2 weeks later, the one who is notorious for being more sensitive starts with the diarrhea and her sister is having partial solid/soft. Both with golden and mucus mixed in. (They also has grey mucus in the past when the formula changed) and some dark black looking. This is when the smelly cases started. Grumpy old lady, her poo has always stayed the same expect when last month she had some golden color. She has been eating some of the twins food. Girl is hungry she won’t eat anything!

Also just as fyi all of their blood work was done in February and everything was good on everyone.

Also thank you for all the detailed info on the foods!

I store my cat food indoors. I keep one case of each product up top shelf for easy everyday access feeding and the back stock cases in the cabinet underneath. I don’t actually have very much back stock right now. There was a time it was very hard to get FF so I would stock up when I could. My cats eat off of 6” styrofoam plates. They get a new one with each meal. I have a cat fountain that currently only old lady uses. It is cleaned with hot water at least once a month. Water bowls for the twins who are no longer drinking, one stoped in the last 2 weeks the other in the last 2 months. But the bowls are still there and rinsed out every day/every other day with hot water and ran thru dishwasher maybe evry two weeks. The water issues… with one cat (2 months). I had a batch of extreme dusty cat litter. The twins only drink with their paws, they scoop like a cup. I did not notice the fountain had gained a nasty dust ring. From that point twin 1 has not yet drank again. Twin 2.. (about 2weeks)I just moved to a new house that has a water softener, this is new for us. I only give them bottled water but I do rinse the bowls out in the sink in the morning. I don’t know if it’s something with the salty water??? I’ve seen her walk by, smell the bowl and walk away. I know she’s thirsty cause I see her licking her lips. I’ve tried Ice but it’s no go. But that’s an issue for another time.

K Kflowers hi there thank you for the advice. I have kept 3 cans from each of the moldy FF of both the old and new formula before throwing it out. 1 Incase manufacture wants 1 in case a vet needs for testing and 1 in case I need it for any kind of back up. I guess I should do the same with the Purina. I also did not know until recently that both FF and Purina were the same company. I do all my shopping online and don’t get a good look at the labels as far as company info. I will pay more attention and make sure I am not testing any more nestle brands that’s for sure. Thank you

Furballsmom Furballsmom thank you and I totally agree about getting away from nestle. Thank you for the suggestion!
Thank you all so very much. I’m checking my local PetSmart for all of your suggestions and will try a can of each.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sweetpea. Sweetpea. Whew! What a long journey.
No stones by the way just covering all the bases. It's always hard for us to know what has and hasn't been tried right? I'm sure most of us have experienced being on limited income at some point and how difficult that can be to address long term problems with no answers. In some places, you can get financial assistance for vet care while on disability. Could be worth checking with your worker :)

Here's a photo of Magnus's chicken and rice post-eating 😸 he was too hungry to wait for the photo. I do find all cat food has a smell, but I will warn that Wureva will smell stronger than Purina and a bit more fishy, even the ones without fish. I order through my local pet smart....I wonder if you got both through Chewy if it was a storage issue on their end then.

Attachments

Sweetpea.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sweetpea. Sweetpea. Whew! What a long journey.
No stones by the way just covering all the bases. It's always hard for us to know what has and hasn't been tried right? I'm sure most of us have experienced being on limited income at some point and how difficult that can be to address long term problems with no answers. In some places, you can get financial assistance for vet care while on disability. Could be worth checking with your worker :)

Here's a photo of Magnus's chicken and rice post-eating 😸 he was too hungry to wait for the photo. I do find all cat food has a smell, but I will warn that Wureva will smell stronger than Purina and a bit more fishy, even the ones without fish. I order through my local pet smart....I wonder if you got both through Chewy if it was a storage issue on their end then.
hey there I didn’t take offense and I’m glad you asked all the questions I just felt I needed to explain why they had not had their follow up exam. I think it’s more of me feeling like a bad mum. That food is the perfect consistency! Are you in the US? I’ve googled magnus cat food and do not see anywhere to buy it. Or did I read it wrong and is magnus is your cats name and that isWureva? I have got the strong smelling cans from 3 stores. The cans smell before opening to the point you can’t keep them in the cabinet.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
hey there I didn’t take offense and I’m glad you asked all the questions I just felt I needed to explain why they had not had their follow up exam. I think it’s more of me feeling like a bad mum. That food is the perfect consistency! Are you in the US? I’ve googled magnus cat food and do not see anywhere to buy it. Or did I read it wrong and is magnus is your cats name and that isWureva? I have got the strong smelling cans from 3 stores. The cans smell before opening to the point you can’t keep them in the cabinet.
Magnus is my cat's name. The photo is of Purina Chicken and Rice, his dinner. They only have Wureva a couple times a week..Magnus must have chicken and rice as the bulk of his diet because it's easy to digest and he had trouble digesting due to a heart murmur previously. He can have other things as treats now.

Yes Wureva is very smelly. Although I'm not sure why the cans would smell when sealed. We have been wiping down the outside of our groceries since 2020 with a cloth and some diluted Lysol. Our cans are stored in a bin and the bin doesn't smell so you might try that? We've purchased both tins and packets of Wureva. We are in Ontario, Canada.

Sweetpea.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Magnus is my cat's name. The photo is of Purina Chicken and Rice, his dinner. They only have Wureva a couple times a week..Magnus must have chicken and rice as the bulk of his diet because it's easy to digest and he had trouble digesting due to a heart murmur previously. He can have other things as treats now.

Yes Wureva is very smelly. Although I'm not sure why the cans would smell when sealed. We have been wiping down the outside of our groceries since 2020 with a cloth and some diluted Lysol. Our cans are stored in a bin and the bin doesn't smell so you might try that? We've purchased both tins and packets of Wureva. We are in Ontario, Canada.
Oh wow that is purina ?? When I first started with it the chicken was very light. With the new stronger smelling cases the meat is now very dark. Attached is pics from two different days. One of the days I was noticing a kind of green tint in the sauce.

Attachments

Sweetpea.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just looked up Wureva and some of the main things that come up on google talk about a big recall, the product sourced in Thailand and high high carbs. I’ve always been told to stay away from cat food sourced in Thailand. Was I told wrong?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just looked up Wureva and some of the main things that come up on google talk about a big recall, the product sourced in Thailand and high high carbs. I’ve always been told to stay away from cat food sourced in Thailand. Was I told wrong?
Wureva says that is UK standard food made in human grade standards. I have not heard of any recalls from them. A quick search came up with a single recall of BFF for low thiamine levels.

Every site I see says no recall history except the single instance which was related to Australia. Are you looking at government websites for recalls or forums? I would stick to government websites for fact checking recalls.

Unbiased Weruva Cat Food Review In 2022 - All About Cats.

Cats aside - Google is no longer a good source of information. It is now an algorithm based search engine. This means that your search results are catered to you, based on the internet history data that Google has collected on you. Formerly, google used to give everyone the same search results and it was click based (what people clicked on came up at the top in the results list - different set of issues but better than current). They also removed or hid Google Scholarly search engine for easy access to scientific studies.

Algorithm based search engines are contributing to the misinformation phenomenon (crisis) as well as an increase in opinion polarization. Do Unbiased Search Engines Exist? Top Alternative Search Engines to Consider

Sweetpea.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wanted to follow up. I’ve tried several versions of Wureva and BFF with no success. I’m back to feeding the chicken and rice.

*kara*

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wanted to chime in that “human grade” is an unregulated term meant to appeal to owners, it is not a guarantee of quality or anything of the sort.