Fancy Feast Shortages?

CKittyHouston

Serving "The Princess" since 2011
Kitten
Purraise
I am in Houston TX...and have been encountering shortages since the beginning of the year. I HAD an Autoship set up with Chewy; ordering 2 flavors -last month 1 out of stock, this month the OTHER flavor out of stock. Local stores out of these 2 specific flavors and after checking online sources they are out of stock also. I feed Fancy Feast Classic, it is all this old cat will touch- she doesn't eat dry food or treats or pricier foods. These 2 flavors ARE available in the "new" FF Naturals. Cost FF Classic (.64) -cost FF Naturals (.89-$1) It all has me wondering if they are pushing the "new" FF Naturals line. Desperate...I tried it and SHE wouldn't touch it. I have been scouring locally and have some reserves for the time being.:cloudy:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, my mom's cats eat Fancy Feast and she's noticed some shortages too. . .idk if it's COVID related or anything, could be that Purina is changing something or has just scaled back production for some reason.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I feed Feeby FF classics (pate) and it seems that the grocery stores are the worst about being out of stock. I have been able to find most of what I want at PetSmart and PetSuppliesPlus online and then I do curbside pickup. There is a random one or two 'out of stock' from week to week, but usually back in supply the following week.

I don't generally buy Feeby fish flavored ones, so if that is what you primarily buy I couldn't attest to those. And, in fact one of the FF Gourmet Naturals I have bought Feeby is out of stock about as often as some of the standard classics, so those being 'promoted' over the other ones doesn't seem to be the case here.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I noticed that the stock at my local Petsmart has been spotty in all areas for a few weeks and asked the manager what was going on. He said that they are way behind with deliveries. It was something like a Thursday when I asked him and he said that last Sunday's order had just come in right now. Chewy has been having some issues with delivery as well, but that is down to FedEx. I have noticed some FF food out of stock though on their site.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Store generic brand name is often similar in texture and flavors / varieties to Fancy Feast. You may want to try a few to see. Wal Mart's Special Kitty brand, President's Choice sold in some supermarkets, Petsmart's Authority brand, etc. FF Classic is pate so use Chewy's filters to find pate foods to see what is available.

You can try toppers or FortiFlora to try to get the cat to eat other brands of food.

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My MIL hasn’t been able to get the senior formula chicken pate for months for her senior orange boi. I believe the Pet Supplies Plus near us substituted the last order with the minced version which he doesn’t care for as much. I think it’s very much a Purina issue.

I‘ve been struggling to find Friskies Lil Soups for my kibble addicted rescue cat. I even tried Petco but they said they’ve discontinued carrying Friskies. It’s the only wet food she’ll touch. I know regular Friskies is sort of junky but the Lil Soups weren’t bad for a food complement. I’m trying to transition her to actual wet food again but she is definitely stubborn!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Store generic brand name is often similar in texture and flavors / varieties to Fancy Feast.
My mom said she tried that and her cats were VERY offended, lol. They like some flavors of Friskies, though, so they'll be fine.
I even tried Petco but they said they’ve discontinued carrying Friskies.
Petsmart usually has the full line, if there's one in your area.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
So....today in Petsmart I asked the manager again what was going on. I even told him that people were posting on TCS and the issue was nationwide. He said that Fancy Feast, Friskies, and Pedrigee have all had huge manpower issues in their warehouses. I had noticed that the local markets have signs up stating that the stock is low and he said that Petsmart has been sent those signs as well to put up as the stock dwindles.He told me to buy it wherever I could find it, Fancy Feast that is.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I encountered this while feeding a stray last month. I thought because I was feeding Fancy Feast, I wouldn't have the same supply issues I had with my recently passed cat who could only eat Rawz. Can you buy one of the variety packs to get the flavor you need? Perhaps you can collect the other cans if your cats won't eat them and take them back to the store for credit or exchange when the supply issues are resolved.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
FF is the only wet Gypsy will eat and at that only certain flavors and texture.
She use to like all the gravy lovers then Purina changed something and she refused to eat the beef and chicken. Then she would eat all the flavors of the ff chedder until she refused the chicken and turkey. I've noticed ff vanishing from shelves so I've been grabbing as much as possible. Last trip to Meijers ALL wet brands were depleted I checked out the suggested build your own but not only didn't they offer the flavors she will eat the price would be dbl of what I'm paying in stores now.

Mailmans_Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FWIW, I emailed Fancy Feast last month because I could not find turkey pate (and was suspicious about the new naturals line, which has ingredients I don't like). They said it was not discontinued. A few weeks later, Chewy emailed that it was back in stock.

When switching foods, you can try mixing old with new (90% old, 10% new for a week, adding 10% more each week - some cats go faster, others slower). You can also disguise new food with tuna water, nutritional yeast, crushed temtations cat treats or fortiflora (cats just love the taste; I keep some on hand for an appetite stimulant).

Love to all!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FWIW, I emailed Fancy Feast last month because I could not find turkey pate (and was suspicious about the new naturals line, which has ingredients I don't like). They said it was not discontinued. A few weeks later, Chewy emailed that it was back in stock.

When switching foods, you can try mixing old with new (90% old, 10% new for a week, adding 10% more each week - some cats go faster, others slower). You can also disguise new food with tuna water, nutritional yeast, crushed temtations cat treats or fortiflora (cats just love the taste; I keep some on hand for an appetite stimulant).

Love to all!
You can often transition faster than that. I start at 25% new to 75% old and wait a poop or two. If the poop is good, I’ll continue to 50:50. If the poop is soft or stinky, I will give it another poop or back up to the last good poop ratio and go slower. In other words, as long as the poops are good (a good measure of digestibility), a food transition can be done over four or five days.

In some cases, I have also done “naked” transitions. When the cat isn’t eating the old food or I ran out and need to get her eating a new food, I’ll start at quarter portions like the old food was still on the plate. If the poops are good, we go to half portions. I might skip the 3/4 portion if the poops are good at half portions. Or I might add extra meals throughout the day at smaller portions just so I’m not under feeding for a week. But the smaller portions allow for an easier transition when the old food can’t be mixed in with the new.

Last edited:

Mailmans_Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can often transition faster than that. I start at 25% new to 75% old and wait a poop or two. If the poop is good, I’ll continue to 50:50. If the poop is soft or stinky, I will give it another poop or back up to the last good poop ratio and go slower. In other words, as long as the poops are good (a good measure of digestibility), a food transition can be done over four or five days.
It's all about the cat. One of mine needs the atom-by-atom sort of gradual. I thought we'd never get off of kitten food. So if someone says "won't eat other foods," I say go slow.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucked out today, our local Hy-vee had partitally re-stocked and they actually had quite a few of the 3 flavors she will eat. I loaded up. The manager I asked said an aluminum shortage was responsible for the shortage. Said it was affecting some soda brands too. I guess that makes as much sense as anything else.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chewy is having a shortage of Tiki Cat too. So far I've had 3 autoships canceled because they were out of stock, I switch to another size of the same variety and it's fine for one shipment, then that's out of stock too.

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A lot of wet cat food is sold out at my locale stores. I have been buying from Chewy. My cats eat many types of brands. This is one reason. I don't them stuck on one brand/flavor.

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I encountered this while feeding a stray last month. I thought because I was feeding Fancy Feast, I wouldn't have the same supply issues I had with my recently passed cat who could only eat Rawz. Can you buy one of the variety packs to get the flavor you need? Perhaps you can collect the other cans if your cats won't eat them and take them back to the store for credit or exchange when the supply issues are resolved.
I'm sorry for your loss. I haven't been on t his forum in a long while. I was just thinking about her the other day.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was in the supermarket today to pick up supplies prior to incoming bad weather and there was a bunch of fancy feast.

Because I didn't want to run from store to store and she's gone into fussy mode, I grabbed the fancy feast.