Fancy Feast Senior 7+?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just noticed that Fancy Feast now has a "Senior 7+ Classic Pate" variety.

Seems extremely similar to their regular Classic pate, except slightly higher protein count and higher taurine. Carbs are a lot lower in the new variety which is nice to see that they are paying attention to this, although Fancy Feast is low carb already.

Cost is substantially higher cost which I find odd and annoying not that it's a deal breaker for me.

I'm wondering, however, if the fact that it's got more protein is worthwhile or if it's so negligible to be a marketing tool for them to just make more money (which I suspect).

If worthwhile, is it appropriate to feed to any age cat since more protein would be good?

Cocoabean is a senior, and only eats Fancy Feast. Will rarely eat anything else, not even kibble (not that that's a problem!). Luna, our kitten, eats more varied but mostly Fancy Feast for main meals because it's easier that way. She gets other brands for snacks sometimes, we're still trying to find other types of food she'll consistently eat (she can be a bit picky, eating something one day, but not the next).

I like that liver is further down on the list in the new variety - if I fed this to our kitten, she'd appreciate it because when liver is too high on the list I've come to realize she sometimes turns her nose up at the food. Calorie counts are a bit higher in the new one but only minimally.

Would like your thoughts.

Here's the comparisons:

Regular Classic Tender Beef Pate:

Ingredients: Beef, Meat Broth, Liver, Fish, Meat By-Products, Artificial And Natural Flavors, Guar Gum, Tricalcium Phosphate, Salt, Minerals [Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Potassium Iodide], Taurine, Vitamins [Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B-3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Vitamin A Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Biotin (Vitamin B-7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Vitamin D-3 Supplement], Sodium Nitrite (To Promote Color Retention).

Caloric Content: 1,087 kcal/kg, 92 kcal/can

Guaranteed Analysis
CRUDE PROTEIN
11.0% min​
CRUDE FAT
4.0% min​
CRUDE FIBER
1.5% max​
MOISTURE
78.0% max​
ASH
3.5% max​
TAURINE
0.05% min​

Senior 7+ Beef Feast:

Ingredients: Beef, Fish, Meat By-Products, Liver, Beef Broth, Chicken, Artificial And Natural Flavors, Guar Gum, Minerals [Potassium Chloride, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide], Salt, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Niacin (Vitamin B-3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Vitamin A Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Biotin (Vitamin B-7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Vitamin D-3 Supplement], Sodium Nitrite (To Promote Color Retention).

Caloric Content: 1,122 kcal/kg, 95 kcal/can

Guaranteed Analysis
CRUDE PROTEIN
11.5% min​
CRUDE FAT
5.0% min​
CRUDE FIBER
1.5% max​
MOISTURE
78.0% max​
ASH
3.25% max​
VITAMIN E
40 IU/kg min​
TAURINE
0.07% min​

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
By my calculations they have the same amount of calories from protein. The senior one has just replaced the carb content with fat. Here’s what I get:

Classic:
49% protein
44% fat
7% carbs

Senior:
49% protein
51% fat

Based on this I think either one is fine to feed, both are high in protein. But I would be concerned that the senior one might have very low levels of other nutrients such as phosphorus that might not be good for younger cats. It would be nice to see a complete nutrient analysis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
By my calculations they have the same amount of calories from protein. The senior one has just replaced the carb content with fat. Here’s what I get:

Classic:
49% protein
44% fat
7% carbs

Senior:
49% protein
51% fat

Based on this I think either one is fine to feed, both are high in protein. But I would be concerned that the senior one might have very low levels of other nutrients such as phosphorus that might not be good for younger cats. It would be nice to see a complete nutrient analysis.
Good point. Going to see if there's a full analysis available.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I like the fact that the ASH is lower in the senior food, although it's still too high, IMHO. Strange, I have always read that senior food had LESS protein than adult stage, and that's one reason why I don't feed it. I want my boys to remain active and to do that I figure they need at least the same amount of protein as always. I know there is some "science" behind it :rolleyes2: , but I don't believe everything I read

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like the fact that the ASH is lower in the senior food, although it's still too high, IMHO. Strange, I have always read that senior food had LESS protein than adult stage, and that's one reason why I don't feed it. I want my boys to remain active and to do that I figure they need at least the same amount of protein as always. I know there is some "science" behind it :rolleyes2: , but I don't believe everything I read
That's why this one caught my eye, because the protein was HIGHER instead of lower. We're all so used to the opposite, and and from what we now are hearing higher protein is better for seniors. My girl isn't the best of eaters so I figured the more protein I can get into her the better. I might go to it, the kitten doesn't poach on her food too much so I don't think it would make too much of a difference overall even if she eats it. Might pick some up if I see it sold in separate cans locally.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
This ones doesn’t have higher protein. You can’t compare the as fed values, the moisture content needs to be removed before comparing. It may also not have less ash when moisture is accounted for.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Both have fish in them pretty high up. There's also artificial flavour in them. Not sure these are the best for long term use.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This ones doesn’t have higher protein. You can’t compare the as fed values, the moisture content needs to be removed before comparing. It may also not have less ash when moisture is accounted for.
I did remove the moisture. I did say it's only a minimal difference.

Last edited:

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both have fish in them pretty high up. There's also artificial flavour in them. Not sure these are the best for long term use.
And yes, I'm aware of that. One does what one can. Overall FF isn't the worst out there.

If a cat won't eat anything but Fancy Feast after having said cat for 6 years, can't do much about it. We've tried dozens of other brands/types when our older boy was alive and she was not interested in any of them.

Our younger one gets a much better variety because we got her as a kitten and were able to control better what she ate and got used to early on, thankfully!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both have fish in them pretty high up.
I know, it's the fish that bothers me the most! One of our cats isn't supposed to have it (asthma/inflammation) and I'd gladly feed an occasional can of this stuff (pate form!) if not for the fish.

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I personally hate fancy feast. It’s like McDonalds. I feed Ziwi Peak. It’s expensive but worth it. The only food that doesn’t give my cat stomach problems and I tried all those perscription diet stuff that never worked. It’s high in protein especially the Venison. Anyway that’s my 2 cents.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally hate fancy feast. It’s like McDonalds. I feed Ziwi Peak. It’s expensive but worth it. The only food that doesn’t give my cat stomach problems and I tried all those perscription diet stuff that never worked. It’s high in protein especially the Venison. Anyway that’s my 2 cents.
Not a fan of it either but for people who have a tight budget it is still an ok option. I also used it to feed Snuffles, the sick stray who lived in my shed.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not a fan of it either but for people who have a tight budget it is still an ok option. I also used it to feed Snuffles, the sick stray who lived in my shed.
Not only those on a tight budget. Cost isn't an issue for me - getting my cat to eat is. Our older one will only eat FF. End of story. Been trying to entice her with everything else imaginable for years. Just isn't happening so you feed what they will eat.