Fancy Feast Problems

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Decided to look at many sites to see if anyone else is having a problem with fancy feast food. My cats favorite food was liver and chicken pate and the grilled. All of a sudden she was turning her nose up at it. I tried other flavors and she did eat some of all flavors but I think only because she was hungry. Then she started to vomit, and had diaherra. This went on for about a 1 1/2 weeks. But in the meantime I was thinking maybe something was in the food. The food was so hard to find and I didn't know why, so I thought maybe it was the ingredients in the food. So to get the food back on the shelves they were substituting something else or doing something else, like I said this was my thoughts. So I purchased the food in another store and had the same problem. I know the stores have nothing to do with it, they just sell it, but Purina is who makes it. In my own mind I started thinking that this only happened around the pandemic. Then I was so worried about my sick cat that I didn't realize my other cat was also vomiting and very laid back. They eat the same foods. Now I didn't know what to do. Purina makes a lot of food, so is it all Purina food or just Fancy Feast that is the problem. Like I said this is my thoughts, so could this change be in all Purina food. Well I called Purina and of course they told me nothing was changed and they didn't purchase the ingredients at any different place. All ingredients are checked also when they come in. They told me the last change was in 2008. But I also heard the problem with the cat food shortage was the cans, they couldn't make or get the cans. So here again, did they put something else into the metal of the cans that is affecting the food. Who do I believe. In this 1 1/2 weeks of my cat being sick I took her to the vets, they did not find anything except one level on her blood work is high. My cat has a very sensitive stomach and can't be having changes in food. But my biggest worry is, if I keep feeding this to her am I adding to her being really sick. I would like any feed back from any one if they are having the same problem. I don't know what to feed her, because it is very hard to switch food on a cat that has a sensitive stomach. Introducing new food doesn't go over well, but I don't want to keep feeding her something that keeps making her sick, or even cause her death. I did read on another site about a persons cat having problems with the fancy feast, and this was a recent post. Any information would be most appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby has been eating FF classic pates for at least 3 years now, with no issues. I did notice that the chicken and liver one is next to impossible to find right now - and, oddly enough, when I was able to find it - it is one of the few she likes a lot less than she used to. There are a number of other Purina foods that Feeby won't eat. But I do see a wide variance in their primary and secondary ingredients when compared to FF pates.

What was the number that was high on your cat's blood work? That might have a bearing in all of this. How old is your cat?

I wouldn't focus just on the food alone. What other changes have occurred in your home in recent weeks? Anything new that has been introduced into the household - numerous things can also affect the digestive system of a cat. Cleaning or replacing of carpeting (think chemicals for example), new furniture (same thing), scented candles, new plants, holiday decorations - the list goes on and on and on. The more information you can come up with - not necessarily related solely to food - the more that helps members on this site to think of things that might be happening.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cats only eat Fancy Feast once in a blue moon, but I did happen to try a can of the Chicken Pate just the other day, and it didn't go over well. No vomiting or anything, they just weren't interested in it. But I do typically feed a Purina food, right now I'm feeding Purina Beyond to one of mine. Chicken and Sweet Potato. He's extremely picky and also has a sensitive tummy. This is working for him at the moment.

Anne2021

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just read your post after starting one myself. I just posted because my cat is suddenly refusing to eat Purina One Indoor Advantage dry food after eating it daily for over a year. (She also threw up three times today on other dry food and wet food, but she is back to keeping those foods down and refuses to touch the Purina One).

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats weren’t too thrilled about the liver and chicken pate either and I ended up putting in a Churu as a topper. I bought a 30 pack of the poultry and beef collection (turkey, chicken & beef, and liver & chicken) on the 17th. I know I gave one from the box before with no issue.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The Chicken and Liver is one of the few Fancy Feast flavors my cat will eat and I've not noticed any issues with her. But I do rotate a lot of brands so she only gets it once or twice a week