Fancy Feast Problems

CatloverinFL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Problems with Purina Fancy Feast??
Do you feed your cat Fancy Feast?
Have they recently started refusing it?

I have been feeding our baby FF for years, in fact she will only eat Grilled Turkey in gravy.
However she is now outright refusing the product. At first Purina denied changing the formulation,
but yesterday they admitted to me that there had been a 'realignment' of ingredients. Whatever that means.
We all know how sensitive cats are when there is something wrong with their food and this gives me some concern.
Is the product just suddenly unpalatable, or is there something to be concerned about here.
We all know the problems when your mainstay food for your baby is suddenly not available to you.
This is bad enough, but I'm worried that this change is in fact harmful in any way.
The change seems to have come about during the production of Fancy Feast with a best before date of 2019 onward.....
I know of no recall situation, please feel free to contact me if you doubt the authenticity of this.
If your cat has suddenly been refusing this product, I would advise you to contact Purina. Contact details on their web site.
Please delete if not allowed.
I really believe you are on to something and say this because I experienced the same with both of my cats also, starting last June or so. I have learned from the school of hard knocks to question everything. And was not imaging that they completely backed off of eating their "Grilled" types of all FF canned foods, when they used to always eat it.

I do suspect FF/ Purnina has received imported ingredients for a long time and is hiding something, frankly. Anyone seen and read the recent big headline news about all of the cheaper dog food brands, like Gravy Train and dog treats, etc killing dogs due to "pentobarbital contamination"?

Popular Dog Food Brands Recalled After Repeatedly Testing Positive for Euthanasia Drug

Whose to say this isn't really a wide spread issue that has been sweep under the proverbial rug, that is in fact true with all types of commercial grade, grocery store brands, including wet and dry types of cat foods? I doubt this theory I have is outlandish, and/or paranoid, though I would hate to think these massively big pet food companies would be so careless, heartless, and evil.

But one must be your pets advocate, now days, and this recent news story is a real eye opener, IMO, on how many of us, myself included, blindly and naively trust many big grocery store brands of cat food to be 'good' and 'nutritious' for our beloved cats and dogs, instead of, God forbid, being actually harmful and horribly deceitful. Anyone ever see the old movie, 'Soylent Green'? Hmm.

FDA Alerts Pet Owners About Potential Pentobarbital Contamination in Canned Dog Food Manufactured by The J.M. Smucker Company, Including Certain Gravy Train, Kibbles ‘N Bits, Ol’ Roy, and Skippy Products

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I know you're intent on keeping your cat eating canned food and you're very frustrated with the FF issue.

However, unless using toppers on new food and slowly transitioning to new food doesn't work, maybe just go with free feeding dry kibble and adding some moistened kibble to increase her hydration (--although it's ok to leave canned food out for several hours someitmes longer, don't leave wet kibble out very long - there's a danger of bacteria growth.) Here are some toppers;

• boiled unseasoned chicken or turkey,
  • sardines,
  • tuna,
  • tuna juice from the tuna can,
  • canned kitten food,
  • kitten replacement milk powder or liquid as an add-in,
  • bonito flakes,
  • heating the wet food slightly,
  • parmeson or shredded cheddar cheese,
  • fortiflora
  • mackerel
There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper, you could crumble her kibble onto the wet food, Tiki Cat has a mousse topper, etc.

Transitioning Your Cat From Kibble To A New Type Of Food (canned, Raw, Or Homemade)
What Do I Need To Know About Feeding My Cat?
How To Choose The Best Dry Cat Food?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Some FF are made in USA, some imported. They didn't say imported from where. I assume Thailand where lots of other pet food were made. But I don't have a clue :(
There's a plant in Bük, Hungary, near the Austrian border, where many of the flavors of Gourmet Gold, the European version of Fancy Feast, are produced. According to an employee, some of it goes to the North American market.

We get a fair amount of Gourmet Gold donated to the shelter because people's cats "go off it" periodically. One thing I've noticed - also with Sheba - is that many cats turn their noses up at the foil packets, but not the little cans or trays.

Tillybug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m in Canada and have noticed the same deal, it’s mostly the pates my cat has gone off but a few of the gravies too....

I restarted to buying some Friskies gravy to get her to eat- she won’t touch it and normally it would cause a frenzy.

Just looking at Purina Canada’s website and it says 99% of food sold
50996CDB-DF06-463C-A52B-D29FFC3E0379.png
in Canada is made in North America.

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m in Canada and have noticed the same deal, it’s mostly the pates my cat has gone off but a few of the gravies too....

I restarted to buying some Friskies gravy to get her to eat- she won’t touch it and normally it would cause a frenzy.

Just looking at Purina Canada’s website and it says 99% of food soldView attachment 228508 in Canada is made in North America.
Thanks for the information! I was confused as some cans labeled Made in USA some imported. More imported cans. It seems that they are imported from USA.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
daisysdad daisysdad Sorry I'm coming in late to this thread but my girl has been turning her nose up at the tuna pate, something she has always liked and was sort of a mainstay for her. She is eating some of the minced stuff, but I have to say, she's never been a big canned eater. She prefers dry but her mom (me) does not. We compromise and I give her half an half. Most of the time I end up throwing out the canned food, so I don't know why I bother. I should just go flush my money down the toilet.

Timmer died in January and for the first time in her life she is the lone cat and I don't think she knows what to do. She's probably 14 years old now and has always been a bit of a strange kitty but I love her to death. She might be turning her nose up at the Fancy Feast simply because she can. No one else is going to come along and eat it for her. I could always count on Timmer to help her clean her plate, but....I digress.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi again!
I just wanted to mention, Purina has a line of cat food called Muse - my Big Guy is kind of eating the pheasant with fortiflora added on, but actually somewhat liking the duck...maybe that would help out some cats that are stalling/struggling?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daisysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the responses. Timmer, I’m sad to hear about your baby.
I have had many phone calls from Purina. Mostly conflicting information. They are telling me now that the Fancy Feast with the change in formulation applies only to the FF sold in variety packs and labelled as imported from France. I get the feeling there was a problem there and they had to change the ingredients quickly.
I have now been asked to send them some of the cans that Daisy won’t eat. I don’t know what this will achieve, but they are sending me a postage paid package, so I’ll send them.
I just don’t know what to believe any more.
It’s a sad world when this sort of thing goes on. When companies care only for profit and not what goes into your babies food.
Furballsmom. Thank you. Daisy has IBS and was prescribed Fortiflora. However she has terrible problems with the stuff. She gets terrible diarrhea whenever she has it.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the responses. Timmer, I’m sad to hear about your baby.
I have had many phone calls from Purina. Mostly conflicting information. They are telling me now that the Fancy Feast with the change in formulation applies only to the FF sold in variety packs and labelled as imported from France. I get the feeling there was a problem there and they had to change the ingredients quickly.
I have now been asked to send them some of the cans that Daisy won’t eat. I don’t know what this will achieve, but they are sending me a postage paid package, so I’ll send them.
I just don’t know what to believe any more.
It’s a sad world when this sort of thing goes on. When companies care only for profit and not what goes into your babies food.
Furballsmom. Thank you. Daisy has IBS and was prescribed Fortiflora. However she has terrible problems with the stuff. She gets terrible diarrhea whenever she has it.
Gah ***expletive***...(removed by me!)
My boy that loves FF has refused it today. He's had a rough week but this makes me jumpy. I offered instinct and he gobbled it. I get the pate variety packs.
:angrywoman::angrywoman::angrywoman::angrywoman::cloudy::bawling2:

I don't know if it's financially capable to feed instinct and nothing more but I guess we'll find a way.
Crap.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
oh, dear, @1bruce1, hang in there!!
daisysdad daisysdad Drat, that's so unfortunate about the fortiflora and the IBS, poor Daisy! and with that, I apologize, now I understand why you're struggling so hard to get canned food into her diet.

I've had some luck with bonito flakes as a topper, and as I understand it Asian markets carry it for less.

Speaking of probiotics, I have read that several members and the IBDKitties website don't like fortiflora for any use as a probiotic and suggest it as a topper only.
Probiotics – IBDKitties

Last edited:

daisysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh, dear, @1bruce1, hang in there!!
daisysdad daisysdad Drat, that's so unfortunate about the fortiflora and the IBS, poor Daisy! and with that, I apologize, now I understand why you're struggling so hard to get canned food into her diet.

I've had some luck with bonito flakes as a topper, and as I understand it Asian markets carry it for less.

Speaking of probiotics, I have read that several members and the IBDKitties website don't like fortiflora for any use as a probiotic and suggest it as a topper only.
Probiotics – IBDKitties
There is evidence to suggest that the use of probiotics is more harmful than good. Just typical and another example of the scientific community constantly moving the goal posts.
I will look up bonito flakes as I’ve no idea what they are or where to get them. No Asian markets here :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bonito is a type of tuna, (the Japanese have used it by shaving small amounts for ages as I understand it). A lot of pet food suppliers have caught on to selling it. Cat-man-doo is a brand, there is Eden, also Only Natural Pet.

daisysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you.
I have narrowed the change down to within a month. She will eat March 1999 best before date, but nothing after. I managed to get her to eat a couple of older tins of Tuna FF (albeit reluctantly) and the same thing happens. I had January 1999, which she ate, but refused October 1999.
We managed to pick up some Bb March Turkey Feast and thought we would see what happens.
Sure enough, she ate it. Then offered post March bb date, it was refused.
In my case this all mainly applies to the Grilled varieties.
So, there is definitely a change. Why else would she go back to eating the turkey and then be refusing the newer stock.
I have contacted the FDA, but there doesn’t seem to be anywhere in Canada that you can complin to. Typical!

daisysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Researching across the internet, it appears that this issue may relate to more than Fancy Feast. People are reporting problems with all Purina Canned food with 2019 and 2020 Best before dates. I really feel there may be another big problem waiting to happen.

CatloverinFL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Someone shared this video with me recently. I think one can get all of their video series 'free' on You-Tube. This video resonated with me as I just lost two of my cats to cancer. They have a specific video about pet foods that I hope to watch soon. Call me paranoid, but I think there is a real possibility that Purina is hiding something big, a PR disaster, about all of their canned, and possibly, dry cats foods. I really hope that I am completely wrong, as I have always trusted the Purina brands.

I certainly agree with everything shared and said on this video:

The Truth About PET Cancer: Episode 1

daisysdad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Someone shared this video with me recently. I think one can get all of their video series 'free' on You-Tube. This video resonated with me as I just lost two of my cats to cancer. They have a specific video about pet foods that I hope to watch soon. Call me paranoid, but I think there is a real possibility that Purina is hiding something big, a PR disaster, about all of their canned, and possibly, dry cats foods. I really hope that I am completely wrong, as I have always trusted the Purina brands.

I certainly agree with everything shared and said on this video:

The Truth About PET Cancer: Episode 1
I will call you paranoid, but then you can join the club. Me too! This sort of think makes you that way.
It’s truly horrifying what goes on in the pet food trade. Sadly a huge corporation like Nestle can get away with pretty much anything.

Ali Vixen

cat freak
Kitten
Purraise
I see most of you feed your cats the pate Fancy Feast--I give my cat the dry FF + she loves that....It has been her only brand of food since I got her from the pound..She only gets tuna fish as a special treat...Any of you all having problems with food should maybe try the dry kind...