Fancy Feast Medleys (wild Salmon Florentine)

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been adding wet food to my cat's diet for the past 10 days, and finally got her to start finishing a tablespoon of it in one sitting. I'm feeding Friskies Shreds in the salmon in sauce flavor - this one has a nice amount of gravy that I dilute with a couple teaspoons of water. She hates crumbly, pate-type food but seems fine with the almost rubbery texture of the shreds.

Tonight I served her a tablespoon of Fancy Feast Medleys in the wild salmon florentine flavor, and she actually started meowing at me before I could even put her bowl down. I've only heard her do that once with the Fancy Feast broths she loves and gets once a week. She started eating the FF immediately and even polished off the meat, when she always leaves some behind with the Friskies Shreds.

Do these ingredients look acceptable?

Fish Broth, Salmon, Wheat Gluten, Liver, Meat By-Products, Spinach, Chicken, Corn Starch-Modified, Artificial and Natural Flavors, Added Color, Salt, Tricalcium Phosphate, Soy Protein Concentrate, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Red 3, Magnesium Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Potassium Iodide. B-6701.

Right now I'm just feeding her what she'll accept to make the transition to wet food easier. Also, I learned the hard way that she won't touch anything with poultry in it and only likes salmon-flavored food. The FF is the only one I've seen her so enthusiastic about and I want to make sure it's reasonably healthy for her.

Here's hoping she'll finish the shreds that I *just* stocked up on before I buy her these Medleys...

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’d say feed her what she likes and you can worry about giving her other brands when she is fully transitioned to wet food. Also you can rotate/alternate between the Friskies and the fancy feast for some variety. It’s great you’re giving your cat wet food. Yay for some much needed moisture :rock:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’d say feed her what she likes and you can worry about giving her other brands when she is fully transitioned to wet food. Also you can rotate/alternate between the Friskies and the fancy feast for some variety. It’s great you’re giving your cat wet food. Yay for some much needed moisture :rock:
I agree! I think the ingredients in the Fancy Feast Medleys are far from ideal -- we fed them to our previous cat and she loved them, probably just because they have wheat gluten in them! -- but they're a perfect start and a good alternative to dry food for a picky cat. It's great that you're switching your cat over to wet food and are already looking at foods you feel better about feeding. Of course cats don't always cooperate with that but that's another story... :p

One brand that you might want to try if you haven't already is Nutro Natural Choice. Those foods seem to appeal to a lot of picky cats (including one of our two present cats, who's not always easy to feed) and there are various textures to choose from, including "slices" (almost like shreds from FF) and "minced" (which is smaller pieces). Those are grain-free. Also, if your cat will eat real/natural shreds of meat (as opposed to the formed shreds in foods like the Fancy Feast and Nutro), you might want to give Weruva's Cats in the Kitchen a try. Some of those foods have both chicken and fish so maybe that would help get your cat more used to chicken? The chicken/fish foods are big favorites for our cats and our previous cat (who was mostly a FF junkie for her canned menu) enjoyed some of those, too.

Anyway, good luck, no matter what your cat will eat!

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree! I think the ingredients in the Fancy Feast Medleys are far from ideal -- we fed them to our previous cat and she loved them, probably just because they have wheat gluten in them! -- but they're a perfect start and a good alternative to dry food for a picky cat. It's great that you're switching your cat over to wet food and are already looking at foods you feel better about feeding. Of course cats don't always cooperate with that but that's another story... :p

One brand that you might want to try if you haven't already is Nutro Natural Choice. Those foods seem to appeal to a lot of picky cats (including one of our two present cats, who's not always easy to feed) and there are various textures to choose from, including "slices" (almost like shreds from FF) and "minced" (which is smaller pieces). Those are grain-free. Also, if your cat will eat real/natural shreds of meat (as opposed to the formed shreds in foods like the Fancy Feast and Nutro), you might want to give Weruva's Cats in the Kitchen a try. Some of those foods have both chicken and fish so maybe that would help get your cat more used to chicken? The chicken/fish foods are big favorites for our cats and our previous cat (who was mostly a FF junkie for her canned menu) enjoyed some of those, too.

Anyway, good luck, no matter what your cat will eat!
Great minds think alike! I second the nutro food! both my piggies love it! Baby steps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the great recommendations! Will be looking into the healthier options suggested here for sure, I see a lot of stuff I've never heard of before that sound awesome. Her hydration levels and poop habits are looking really good right now so I think we're on the right track!

I found another thread on this board about these Medleys and someone mentioned that they don't feed these to their cats because of the spinach - I'm now thinking of just sticking with the Friskies because of this. Why do cats need spinach anyway?! I wish these manufacturers would just stick to meat :mad2: My girl's not prone to stones but her urinary habits get strange when she's stressed, so I'd rather not risk it. Maybe as a once a week treat, if anything, since she seems to love that broth lol.