Fancy Feast Healthy Aleternatives.

katieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all.. I am in the process of weaning my 2 cats off of Fancy Feast. I have successfully gotten them off the canned food and onto a Prescription food from Hills. Next step will be getting them to a high quality canned food.

For those of you who at one time had Fancy Feast addicts.. what were you able to get them to eat that was high quality canned food?

Also - has anyone attempted to make your own version of FF Broths? My cats still get 1 packet of broths per day which I mix with purified water and they love it. I'd like to make a healthier version. Maybe using sodium-free chicken broth from the store?
Thanks for any insight you might have! FF addiction is a beast to overcome! :gaah:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So you've already transitioned them OFF the FF onto the prescription food? Sounds like you've already accomplished one goal. Now that they don't have a taste for the FF, you should be good to move on the a higher quality food, since most cats aren't really fond of prescription foods. I would say just start trying whatever food sounds good to you.

As far as the FF broths go, ifyou use a sodium free broth from the store, just make sure it isn't seasoned with garlic and onions. You might be better of making your own broth...you'll need some chicken anyway, won't you. Maybe just poach a breast and use that liquid? Then add in whatever else you want. Not sure what all is in those...I guess it depends on the flavor.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So you've already transitioned them OFF the FF onto the prescription food? Sounds like you've already accomplished one goal. Now that they don't have a taste for the FF, you should be good to move on the a higher quality food, since most cats aren't really fond of prescription foods. I would say just start trying whatever food sounds good to you.

As far as the FF broths go, ifyou use a sodium free broth from the store, just make sure it isn't seasoned with garlic and onions. You might be better of making your own broth...you'll need some chicken anyway, won't you. Maybe just poach a breast and use that liquid? Then add in whatever else you want. Not sure what all is in those...I guess it depends on the flavor.
This is all good advice, particularly about moving on from the prescription food, too, since many of those don't have optimal ingredients for long-term feeding.

As for homemade chicken treats, I just wanted to add that poaching is a great idea. And that any leftover water from poaching is great to add to canned food to give cats a little extra moisture that tastes good. Our cats really lap up chicken-poaching water!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I never got him off of FF - I ended up obtaining Milk Thistle to try and offset the menadione. I did however find that the Big Guy likes thawed raw nuggets mixed in. Otherwise, to offset the gluten, starch and protein intake from just one manufacturer, I'm able to rotate in some Merrick, sometimes Firstmate salmon, and I'm trying out Abound just now although it does have carageenan. Canidae was, IMO, great except that they also started using menadione so they're out of my menu now. It's an ongoing thing because one day he decides he LOVES something and the next day I find out they've changed their ingredients/formula. Hang in there, and thanks for caring so much about your furbabies!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
K katieloo an update/edit/correction, Abound grain free does not have carrageenan, my apologies, AND - drum roll - HE ATE IT. Now, after refrigeration, and then a new can three-four days from now, I'll be even more thrilled if he's still eating it heh. Like I say, the world of cat food (including store bought raw) is an adventure, but it's beginning to look to me as though maybe it's getting easier to find decent foods our furfolks will eat without the truly scary-nasty additives. Regarding glutens, starches, various proteins and whatnot, in my opinion if a person creates a "menu" of different brands there's a better chance their systems will be able to deal with the crud, not have allergies and avoid the URIs, UTIs and other awful things. At least that's my very very sincere hope, for every single cat out there. :goodluck::heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice and info! Yes I feel kind of awesome that I got them off the FF cans. I did it by doing 3/4 FF with one spoonful of prescription for days, then 1/2 and 1/2 and finally all prescription with a spoonful of FF and now just 100% prescription. It took about 3 weeks. They like the prescription (Hills Chicken and Veg stew Urinary Care Stress formula Hill's Prescription Diet c/d Multicare Urinary Care Stress Chicken & Vegetable Stew Canned Cat Food, 2.9-oz, case of 24). But I know it's not great quality.

I also know I should not be given them each a packet of broths per day (1/2 in morning 1/2 in evening). There are a couple questionable ingredients but it doesn't seem as bad as the FF cans I was giving and it gets liquid into them with the added purified water.

I hate to admit this but .. I have never poached chicken. Is that just boiling in water?

I have tried about 6 different varieties of healthy canned food and they like none of them. They definitely do not like shredded meats as found in foods like Tiki Cat. They love a stew like consistency. Just thought someone out there might have had a similar transition and found a food their cats like but I guess it will be trial and error. I need to keep them on the prescription food for a little while longer then I will start to make the switch.