Fancy Feast... cat crack!?

popcorncharlie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Charlie loves FF. He gets 1/2 a can for dinner every night. Only the pate's as they seem to be more substantial.

Caution: do NOT buy the Ocean Whitefish FF pate unless you want your entire house to smell. :barfgreen: Oh man, it's sooo stinky.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
That gel looks like the stuff in the bottom of pedigree dog food.

There is fish in most if not all fancy feast. The pate ones that I've seen all have fish anyways.

I also wonder what place artificial flavour and/or colour has in a pet food. Seems silly to me to have to add meat flavour to something already made of meat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes! Most of my vet hospitals keep classic, flaked, and minced Fancy Feast to transition baby food and e-tube fed patients back to OTC commercial cat food. Esp seafood feast classic, by the case. They all call it kitty crack. And the Temptations n Greenies cat treats, also kitty crack. They're in every exam and chemo room we've ever sat in, even comfort/euthanasia rooms. I joke with techs treating my pets in room with me we should've bought stock in Greenies treats in early ots when new. The hairball chicken Greenies are longhaired cat lifesavers!
That weird non of my cats eat Greenies stuff. I bought the pill pouches. I can get them to eat the pill never the pouch, even without the pill

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

There is fish in most if not all fancy feast. The pate ones that I've seen all have fish anyways.

I also wonder what place artificial flavour and/or colour has in a pet food. Seems silly to me to have to add meat flavor to something already made of meat.
I used to work for a chemical company in my younger days, specialized in meat coloring. The meat in pet food is a grey pink. The other stuff can be all different colors or even clear
Depending in the flavor they use dies to make it mach the colot(like brown/red for "beef")

The creepiest think we had was a catalogue of colors for farm raised salmon, they hare legit light grey naturally, the give instructe the fish to astaxanthin right before or after killing them. It goes from black red, to red wine, to shades of pink depending on the concentration.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I also wonder what place artificial flavour and/or colour has in a pet food. Seems silly to me to have to add meat flavour to something already made of meat.
Fancy feast turkey & giblets Pate doesn’t have fish, neither does the chicken and beef classic pate! The plain beef one does though for some reason...

syzygycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't edit my orig post but so Im adding my update here. I have had lots of luck mixing foods with FF. the pates they dont like have to be mixed in slightly less than the amount of FF for them to eat is, FF has to be slightly more mixed in than any refrigerated food

The caveat is freet dried cat food like ptimal, all of my cats hate the stuff, 1/4 of a nugggest mixed in is about the most i can mix in, nd then they only nibble. so its not a cure all.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed Fancy Feast all the time. Mingo likes the pate the least, but he will eat it as long as I rotate with Gravy Lovers and the grilled. Lily will eat anything at any time. She was abandoned with five kittens and nearly starved to death.
So you only feed FF. ??Cause im having a problem with my 12yr old and eating
But Put FF Grilled Chicken down and he eats it
Some members on here say its bad. IDK

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The best food is the one your cat will eat.

If you can only get him to eat FF, so be it.

Our older girl is pretty picky, only will eat FF pates (the classic line and the savory line). Nearly nothing else. We've tried literally every food out there, our other cats all had more variety but she knows what she likes and eats it and that's all I care about. Would I prefer she ate better? Yes. But she's healthy and happy and that is what matters. FF Classics are low carb, have no grains or veggies, and there's no meal product in them. And economical.

Could be a lot worse.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not really that bad. The pate is better for them, but the Grilled is what he likes best. I also feed Sheba pate sometimes, and dry food once a day. Mingo definitely likes a variety in his food.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been researching healthy yet relatively cheap canned foods to supplement my cats' meals. I tried all the mid-rated <$1 brands (Buffalo Healthy Gourmet, Ultra, Dave's, Authority, Fancy Feast, etc. they liked some more than other, none as much as their usual brands, very typical response. EXCEPT for Fancy Feast. Not only have I've never seen my cats take to a food so readily, all 4 cats went at the Fancy Feast more ravenously than their favorite foods (including any Friskies flavors).

Two of my four cats hate pate, one will licks it dry. Since they took to FF so well, I took a shot and got the 6 non-fish Classic Pate favors, all 4 cats devoured the FF pate.

THEN I tried mixing Fancy Feast with equal parts Buffalo wilderness pate (they hate the stuff)... they devoured it.

If my cat don't get wet food for >24 hours they will begrudgingly eat a little bit of pate but they never ever eat any canned food that was opened then refrigerated. So obviously I refrigerated the BB Core pate for 8 hours, mixed it into a fresh can of Fancy Feast Pate... they at all of that too.

The ingredients list isn't great the classic pate's is relatively decent.

Anyone else have similar experience with this stuff?
I don‘t understand. Are you trying to get them to eat the Blue Buffalo? Because the Fancy Feast Classic is a more species appropriate food. It’s a better recipe. Blue Buffalo has carageenan which is a known gut irritant. It also has cranberries, sweet potatoes, flaxseed, and brown rice. All inappropriate ingredients for cats. Cats are obligate carnivores. They should eat meat and organs. ”Meat by-products” is nothing more than unnamed organs. If your cats enjoy Fancy Feast, then feed them that. It is the most feline-appropriate recipe of all the foods you ticked off.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t like any of the other foods you listed. They all have inappropriate ingredients like carageenan, cranberries, blueberries, sweet potatoes, brown rice, carrots, flaxseed. Cats are not tiny humans or small dogs. They are not omnivores. They eat meat and organs. There are very few brands that fit that bill. I have an IBD kitty with multiple sensitivities. I’ve been through just about every can in every store. Fancy Feast Classic fits the bill. If Krista didn’t have a chicken allergy, I’d feed her that. But even their turkey recipe has “poultry giblets” which contains enough chicken to cause a flare up with her. Tiki Cat is another solid brand. If your cats don’t have chicken allergies, the Tiki Cat After Dark line is an excellent species-appropriate recipe. Instead of using plant-based ingredients that have questionable value in a cat’s diet, they add nutrient rich organ meats. I’m locked into Rawz with Krista because the other brands just can’t help loading their foods with irritating ingredients.

libra1963ca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been researching healthy yet relatively cheap canned foods to supplement my cats' meals. I tried all the mid-rated <$1 brands (Buffalo Healthy Gourmet, Ultra, Dave's, Authority, Fancy Feast, etc. they liked some more than other, none as much as their usual brands, very typical response. EXCEPT for Fancy Feast. Not only have I've never seen my cats take to a food so readily, all 4 cats went at the Fancy Feast more ravenously than their favorite foods (including any Friskies flavors).

Two of my four cats hate pate, one will licks it dry. Since they took to FF so well, I took a shot and got the 6 non-fish Classic Pate favors, all 4 cats devoured the FF pate.

THEN I tried mixing Fancy Feast with equal parts Buffalo wilderness pate (they hate the stuff)... they devoured it.

If my cat don't get wet food for >24 hours they will begrudgingly eat a little bit of pate but they never ever eat any canned food that was opened then refrigerated. So obviously I refrigerated the BB Core pate for 8 hours, mixed it into a fresh can of Fancy Feast Pate... they at all of that too.

The ingredients list isn't great the classic pate's is relatively decent.

Anyone else have similar experience with this stuff?

Catfooddb website gave high ratings to Beyond Grain Free Pate wet cat food made by Purina.12 cans come in a variety pack with chicken, whitefish & salmon or you can by individual cans in those & other flavours that aren’t pate. You can get at Walmart online and some grocery stores. In Canada the case of 12 is only $13.98. Both my cats like it. The cans are small 3oz/85g so they eat in one feeding. I think the ingredients are better than FF.

libra1963ca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Catfooddb website gave high ratings to Beyond Grain Free Pate wet cat food made by Purina.12 cans come in a variety pack with chicken, whitefish & salmon or you can by individual cans in those & other flavours that aren’t pate. Any flavour except the ones with rice were rated high. You can get at Walmart online and some grocery stores. In Canada the case of 12 is only $13.98. Both my cats like it. The cans are small 3oz/85g so they eat in one feeding. The ingredients are better than FF.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Catfooddb website gave high ratings to Beyond Grain Free Pate wet cat food made by Purina.12 cans come in a variety pack with chicken, whitefish & salmon or you can by individual cans in those & other flavours that aren’t pate. Any flavour except the ones with rice were rated high. You can get at Walmart online and some grocery stores. In Canada the case of 12 is only $13.98. Both my cats like it. The cans are small 3oz/85g so they eat in one feeding. The ingredients are better than FF.
I'm not sure I would say the ingredients are better when all the flavors seem to have sweet potato, carrots, spinach, or other starches and vegetables. Cats aren't omnivores. If it's not meat and organs, it's not appropriate. By-products are not a bad word. They are simply unnamed organ meats. If I'm choosing between vegetables and by-products, I'm going to go with the by-products. Because cats eat meat and organs. They don't eat vegetables and starches.

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll chime in as well.
My cat's wet foods of choice are Fancy Feast pate (chicken/beef flavor/liver&chicken), Performatrin Ultra pate (Turkey,Salmon,Duck) pate.
Once in awhile I feed Merrick - but it's a tad expensive, so generally don't very often.
------------------------------
I've tried many many others, including the more expensive brands, but apparently price isn't a selling point for my cat.

The 'sale' prices have absolutely shot up, since our covid-19 crisis, but I suppose that's to be expected.
At least in Canada $0.70 is now the 'sale' price for a can of Fancy Feast, whereas regular is generally $0.77 Cdn.
I recall less than 6 months ago - perhaps $0.60 was a 'sale price. Sometimes less. Quite the jump.

libra1963ca

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure I would say the ingredients are better when all the flavors seem to have sweet potato, carrots, spinach, or other starches and vegetables. Cats aren't omnivores. If it's not meat and organs, it's not appropriate. By-products are not a bad word. They are simply unnamed organ meats. If I'm choosing between vegetables and by-products, I'm going to go with the by-products. Because cats eat meat and organs. They don't eat vegetables and starches.
Well I can refer you to this article about carbs by a veterinarian at petmd: The Truth About Grain-Free Cat Foods
Because while I do know what sweet potatoes, carrots and spinach are in the Beyond food, I don’t know what “artificial flavouring” consists of in the Fancy Feast. And even if Fancy Feast doesn’t have vegetables, they stuff carbs in somewhere because the carbs in both foods are about the same. Catfooddb website reviews cat foods and rates Fancy Feast as a significantly low quality food and Beyond as a higher quality food, not that the website is the most accurate review site but they know more than me about cat food. I’m just reporting what I have read in case it is helpful to anyone who wants to try something different from Fancy Feast that is low-priced and you can get at a grocery store or Wal-Mart. Purina makes both products by the way.

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can find an article(s) supporting one argument and find other article(s) disputing the same argument. Both, with supporting evidence and their own research and analysis.

Therein lies the problem, you either believe one, or the other.
Or, take the middle ground and take both with a grain of salt and feed whatever your feline friend(s) actually will eat, given your knowledge and budget.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Or, take the middle ground and take both with a grain of salt and feed whatever your feline friend(s) actually will eat, given your knowledge and budget.
You hit the nail on the head there. This has always been my thinking. Indy eats perfomatrin ultra and she loves it. She also loves fish so the dry works well for her at night since she nibbles at it and canned would spoil. She gets a small can through the day though and sometimes I try to sneak in some chicken or beef or lamb so she has a different protein.