Fancy Feast Beef Flavors? Opinions?

dianamc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping a local store will put Fancy Feast on sale this week. Previously they had a Friskies sale and then a FF sale and last week it was Friskies. 

I've been feed Dandy some FF Classics but never any beef ones.  However, I recently gave her some beef in the Wellness and NVI lines and she likes it.  I think it might help as a mixer with that odd Natural Balance Venison & Pea stuff too.  She eats it but it's not really liked. 

I see that there are 3 Beef Classics and wondered how your cats liked/tolerated them?  There's Tender Beef Feast, Tender Beef & Liver Feast, and Tender Beef & Chicken Feast (all Classic).  Thanks for any help if I have to buy a lot without trying them first.  She's done pretty well on the classics except maybe the Turkey & Giblets isn't the best.

(She just did a thumbs down on another Hound & Gatos flavor.  She ate the pork but was scratching around the bowl and didn't seem to feel too great after it. I'm wondering if there's something in H&G that she's sensitive to.) When she doesn't react well, she just doesn't move and that's not good.

smartyfoj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats never have liked any beef flavors but it would be worth a  shot to buy one can because it is important to rotate meats and brands. Our cats are chicken fanatics, it's their favorite meat. Although I'm hoping to purchase some hound and gatos rabbit because I like that it is sourced from the US. 

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Cats are so different--I can buy ANY flavor of FF classic and all four of my elder cats will eat it.  

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've only tried the FF Beef classic with our older boy in the past.  Stools went from perfect to runny by the end of the day.  Never tried it again, but as betsygee mentions .. cats are all so different in what they can/will tolerate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianamc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was hoping for a flavor that I could buy quite a few cans of but it's not sounding promising. She's liked the beef NVI and beef and chicken Wellness. I need something to mix with this case of Venison and Green Pea (Yew!).  She doesn't like it much.

We haven't given Rabbit Hound and Gatos a shot yet but based on 3 other flavors, I'm starting to lose hope. 

Thanks for the input.  The only loose stools I've seen from the FF was a gravy one and I was warned here :).  DH got it at the last sale which is why I'm going to go if they have this one.

procat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I see that there are 3 Beef Classics and wondered how your cats liked/tolerated them?  There's Tender Beef Feast, Tender Beef & Liver Feast, and Tender Beef & Chicken Feast (all Classic).  Thanks for any help if I have to buy a lot without trying them first.  She's done pretty well on the classics except maybe the Turkey & Giblets isn't the best.
My one cat won't even look at pate, while the other one changes her mind weekly. The only thing she has given up on consistently is the Turkey & Giblets. This week we're on the beef and turning our nose on chicken, of course because I just bought 12 cans of chicken.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My indoor cats don't like FF beef in any form - and in some of them at least one of the main ingredients is chicken in it which they love. My feral likes it, but he'll eat anything.

dianamc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe I should scrap this idea.  NVI and Wellness both smell pretty good. I'm surprised at how much she likes the NVI considering the crazy list of ingredients. 

She likes the chicken FF all right.  I could try that one mixed but I get the feeling that its popular and I think we're out of it.  Thanks for all the beef-hating input ;) I'll try one can.

Diana in PA

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of my cats will eat beef ANYTHING, they insist on turkey or chicken, then they just lick the gravy off! (I wish you could buy FF gravy!) Thank goodness I have a feral that cleans up their wasteful ways.   But you don't know what they'll eat until you try!

scubacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can always buy a can or two and try it. Jackie does not like FF, but she DOES like beef varieties in the brands she does like (though she also does like chicken, turkey, duck, rabbit, lamb, some fish....clearly not that picky...though she does NOT like pork so there you go!).

dianamc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all.  I tried mixing chicken with liver (or whatever) with the Venison and Green Pea and it was a wash.  She eventually ate most of it but if she'd had a picket sign that said "I don't want this!" she'd have been carrying it.  Mixing strange beef probably wouldn't go any better. 22 more cans of Venison/Green Pea to go.

Maybe the "cheap" in FF shows up in the beef or something.  Dandy seems to like the two pricier varieties.

Last edited:

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my cats throws up anything beef.  I figured that beef is not a natural prey for a cat, so just stay away from it.  Poultry is all I feed my cats.  No fish or beef.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I guess I'm the odd one here, because my Callie LOVES the three FF beef items mentioned in the original post.  Those are her favorites
.  Well, I guess I use the term LOVE loosely, since she doesn't really eat much of anything (kidney cat).  But when she does eat, these flavors and this brand is what she gravitates to. (and figures, doesn't it, that it's the CLASSICS, which for a kidney cat, are NOT good
as they have WAY TOO MUCH phosphorus in them )

dianamc

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They put Meow Mix on sale this week and we're expecting a blizzard so it's not a pressing issue.  I'm glad someone's cat can stand it though!

I'm going to see if I can return the Venison & Green Pea.  She ate the pricey NVI Rabbit today and feels so much better.