Fancy Feast and Pate foods

beatiful_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do your cat seem to drink more water when eating pate food? Is pate less hydrating than gravy wet cat food? It is hard to find some of the Fancy Feast Medley that seems to be many cat's favorite. Are pet owners hoarding food or is there a shortage from the factory?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beatiful_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. It seems pate has a bit of less moisture than gravy or watery can food. I guess even a little less moisture would make them drink more water?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
, ess moisture will make them drink more but not nearly equivalent to can food

beatiful_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You mean not nearly equivalent to dry food?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gravy, sauce, etc foods have a higher water content because, well, of the water needed to make the gravy, sauce, etc :) Pates still have a high water content but not as high. Water is cheap so you get less actual food in gravy, sauce, etc foods than in a fairly food dense pate food. Add water to pate food to make "gravy".

Potter

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do your cat seem to drink more water when eating pate food? Is pate less hydrating than gravy wet cat food? It is hard to find some of the Fancy Feast Medley that seems to be many cat's favorite. Are pet owners hoarding food or is there a shortage from the factory?
not sure, but maybe try buying higher quality food?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our two cats, Domino and Mr Poe, have never been interested in drinking water. I feed them pate style food and add some water to every serving, which they happily slurp up. I prefer pate to gravy style as carbohydrates are add to make the gravy. And I'd rather they were not getting extra carbohydrates.

I used to feed Fancy Feast, Early in the days of covid-19 it was unavailable from Chewy's so I switched them over to Tiny Tiger. The last time I placed an order TT beef pate was unavailable so I had to substitute FF beef pate rather than feed only TT chicken and turkey with giblets.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I swirl a bit of warm water around in the pate can to make a little bit of 'gravy' out of it, and add that to their bowl of food.

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, exactly betsygee betsygee That's what I do also.

Just had Himself with a magnifying glass look at the miniscule type on the can labels. And
FF Tender Beef Feast is 92 KCal per 3 oz can, 78% moisture, 11% Protein
TT Chicken Pate Style is 95 KCal per 3 oz can, 78% moisture, 10% Protein
TT Turkey with Giblets is 94 KCal per 3 oz can, 78% Moisture, 11% Protein

If anyone is concerned about dehydration just pinch up skin over the cat's shoulders and release. If it promptly flattens back down the cat is not dehydrated.

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat that eats only wet food (pate with some freeze dried mixed in) doesn't really drink from their fountain but still pees as much as my other cat who loves the water fountain. I think as long as the cat isn't dehydrated and having health issues, pate is fine as a main food. If you're concerned you can add some water and mix with the pate you're feeding.

beatiful_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I swirl a bit of warm water around in the pate can to make a little bit of 'gravy' out of it, and add that to their bowl of food.
My cat does not like pate with water. *Sigh*

beatiful_cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wondered if pate food could also evaporate if they eat slowly throughout the day.