~ Famous Cats ~

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Yuri Knorozov, the linguist who deciphered the Maya script, 1953. He listed his cat Asya as a co-author on his work but the editors always removed her. He always used this photo with Asya as his author photo and got pissed whenever editors cropped her out . :winkcat:"'
main-qimg-bcf536b76f1888d339dba26ce4bdd172.jpeg

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
13D2FA6C-D3CF-4A71-A882-1E7149127F8D.jpeg
Doesn’t she look like a cat? This is Colette, who wrote about cats for much of her life, including Le Chat. As a bonus prize, she also once wrote about a tiny spider, that would lower itself down on a thread to sip her hot chocolate every night, and go back up when it was done. Read the books…the film can be left alone.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(NO copyright infringement intended!)
One of the greatest actors of all time, in one of the greatest films of all time, and his scene-stealing photo-bombing co-star. Marlon, it's said, loved cats.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"GIGOT" was one of my mom's all-time favorite films. Though many people have never heard of it, it is a masterpiece starring a comedic and dramatic genius, Jackie Gleason...and Orangey, a famous cinema cat of the time.
Everyone owes it to themselves to see it if they can.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
B7A6BE17-EA64-4456-94D2-AECD45EEB8CA.jpeg

I like thinking of Winston Churchill stopping to pet Blackie in 1941 aboard the HMS Prince of Wales. The cat survived the ship being sunk & later vanished in Singapore. Nelson, Churchill’s own cat, attended many secret meetings.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 436780

I like thinking of Winston Churchill stopping to pet Blackie in 1941 aboard the HMS Prince of Wales. The cat survived the ship being sunk & later vanished in Singapore. Nelson, Churchill’s own cat, attended many secret meetings.
Yeah, there was a PBS series on Churchill and his love of cats was part of the story.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
ABSOLUTELY PAWSitively!!! :heartshape:
Who is the hooman in the second pic? I know I should know, but I don't.🤔
Paul Newman. Apparently he really liked cats; there are any number of photos to choose from, but I liked the cat’s expression here: “doesn’t even give me a lick of ice cream, and I don’t know about that puma in the cage!”

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Paul Newman. Apparently he really liked cats; there are any number of photos to choose from, but I liked the cat’s expression here: “doesn’t even give me a lick of ice cream, and I don’t know about that puma in the cage!”
TYSM. I thought Paul Newman was fairer/blonder than in this pic. Didn't know he loved cats. He's gained merit with me!;)

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
There are many famous cat lovers, but I don't know the names of their cats.
  • Albert Einstein - often pictured holding a cat.
  • Sir Isaac Newton - known cat lover and credited with inventing the cat door.
  • Charles Dickens - cat lover with famous quote - "What greater gift than the love of a cat?" He often had a cat with him when he wrote.
  • Mark Twain - cat lover with many famous cat quotes, including, "If man could be crossed with a cat, it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." Also, "A home without a cat - and a well-fed, well-petted and properly revered cat - may be a perfect home, perhaps, but how can it prove title?"
  • Ernest Hemingway - lifelong ailurophile. The polydactyl cat is sometimes called the Hemingway cat. He had many of these unique kitties and left a provision in his will for them. His estate/museum has 40 to 50 cats (~half are polydactyl) with free run of the place.
This is in addition to those listed above.

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
There are many famous cat lovers, but I don't know the names of their cats.
  • Albert Einstein - often pictured holding a cat.
  • Sir Isaac Newton - known cat lover and credited with inventing the cat door.
  • Charles Dickens - cat lover with famous quote - "What greater gift than the love of a cat?" He often had a cat with him when he wrote.
  • Mark Twain - cat lover with many famous cat quotes, including, "If man could be crossed with a cat, it would improve the man, but it would deteriorate the cat." Also, "A home without a cat - and a well-fed, well-petted and properly revered cat - may be a perfect home, perhaps, but how can it prove title?"
  • Ernest Hemingway - lifelong ailurophile. The polydactyl cat is sometimes called the Hemingway cat. He had many of these unique kitties and left a provision in his will for them. His estate/museum has 40 to 50 cats (~half are polydactyl) with free run of the place.
This is in addition to those listed above.
…recommended is the pilgrimage to Key West. You go to see the footie cats, really…all the Hemingway stuff is their …decoration. Boris, I think you’re making that up about the cat flap—no way! :eek2:

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
…recommended is the pilgrimage to Key West. You go to see the footie cats, really…all the Hemingway stuff is their …decoration. Boris, I think you’re making that up about the cat flap—no way! :eek2:
You're probably right! The cat door idea was around before Newton. There are historians who dispute many things about Newton. "Whether this account be true or false, indisputably true is that there are in the door to this day two plugged holes of proper dimensions for the respective egresses of cat and kitten," wrote a Newton contemporary some years after the scientist's death.. And since it was so far back in time, perhaps nobody knows. :dunno:

Margot Lane

Top Cat
Purraise
You're probably right! The cat door idea was around before Newton. There are historians who dispute many things about Newton. "Whether this account be true or false, indisputably true is that there are in the door to this day two plugged holes of proper dimensions for the respective egresses of cat and kitten," wrote a Newton contemporary some years after the scientist's death.. And since it was so far back in time, perhaps nobody knows. :dunno:
Oh I BELIEVE you Boris, I am simply gobsmacked. But if he explained gravity, ingress and egress ought to have been a snap!