Famotidine for possible nausea?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Back with more questions about Feeby (~17 yo) who is hyperthyroidic and probably in the early stages of CKD. I sent a detailed email to the vet Feeby is currently seeing. In summary, I explained:
  • Intermittent inappetence - but no vomiting
  • Weight loss after being stable for several months
  • Reluctance and/or refusal to take meds/supplements in lickable treats or baby food meat
  • Possibility of pancreatitis (based on previous blood work numbers, although never diagnosed)
I asked if we should take action, and if so what? Her initial reaction was to suggest an appetite stimulant. However, when I asked if that could be an issue with her possibly being nauseous, she said that we cannot be sure she is nauseous solely based on the intermittent inappetence. So, I am guessing to appease me, she then suggested Famotidine. She did offer that we could move on to something like Cerenia if it doesn't seem that Famotidine is doing anything to help (only after I mentioned it first).

She is recommending 1/4 tablet of a 10mg tablet. She also said it could be taken with food, which I am not totally sure about. And, she never mentioned when I should give it to Feeby or if it should be administered more than once a day.

How do you/have you all administered Famotidine to your cats, and did you use it for possible nausea? Did it appear to work?

Thanks.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Famotidine was recommended to my tomcat to stop vomiting.
However, after adding high-fiber dry food, he ceased to vomit, so I didnt give him any.
The vet told me to administrate 1/2 hours before the meal.

Famotidine is primarily for human use, so you may find info about this drug in the human pharmacopeia.
Still, I am not sure whether it is fully valid for cats.
In my case, the vet advised me to attempt correction of the diet before moving to pills.
Another interesting point I noted was that play makes a difference, even as little as 3-4 minutes a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Famotidine was recommended to my tomcat to stop vomiting.
However, after adding high-fiber dry food, he ceased to vomit, so I didnt give him any. The vet told me to administrate 1/2 hours before the meal...Famotidine is primarily for human use, so you may find info about this drug in the human pharmacopeia.
Still, I am not sure whether it is fully valid for cats. In my case, the vet advised me to attempt correction of the diet before moving to pills.
Another interesting point I noted was that play makes a difference, even as little as 3-4 minutes a day.
I am glad you found a solution for your tomcat. Sadly, I don't think any of what you went through applies to Feeby.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Famotidine is Pepcid. The only thing it did for Krista was delay her meals by a half an hour and train her to come barreling into the kitchen every time she heard the microwave go off since I used the microwave timer to count off those 30 minutes. I just don't think famotidine does what vets think it does with cats. The good news is that it's not going to set you back very much if you need to humor your vet before she'll prescribe Cerenia (or ondansetron, as some cats become inappetent with Cerenia.) You may need both an anti-nausea and an appetite stimulant. Every cat is different. But I found mirtazapine, the pill (1/4 pill for her), worked best with Krista. Mirtaz, the transdermal, did not work as well as I had hoped. We also tried Entyce which worked once and never again. The other times we tried it, it either did nothing, or she looked worse for it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The good news is that it's not going to set you back very much if you need to humor your vet before she'll prescribe Cerenia (or ondansetron, as some cats become inappetent with Cerenia.) You may need both an anti-nausea and an appetite stimulant. Every cat is different. But I found mirtazapine, the pill (1/4 pill for her), worked best with Krista.
I know what famotidine is, and can't personally fathom that it will resolve anything given that she gladly eats the first thing in the AM - after many hours of not eating. This vet wanted to use an appetite stimulant to start off with. I think I was wrong to 'nix' her on that. I really don't believe Feeby is nauseous, that is my gut speaking.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You may need both an anti-nausea and an appetite stimulant. Every cat is different. But I found mirtazapine, the pill (1/4 pill for her), worked best with Krista.
Did you give Krista anti-nausea meds concurrent with the mirtazapine? I keep reading to NOT give a cat an appetite stimulant without it being accompanied by anti-nausea meds - if no other reason than a precaution.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry that you are facing this new twist in Feeby's care. Famotidine is very popular in the dog world and had been recommended to my current GSD, pancreatis boy, as part of his overall care when the episode strikes. I don't personally think that it does much for dogs either and we did move on to Cerenia which I keep on hand.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you give Krista anti-nausea meds concurrent with the mirtazapine? I keep reading to NOT give a cat an appetite stimulant without it being accompanied by anti-nausea meds - if no other reason than a precaution.
I used to give Cerenia to Krista; or try to, anyway. But I eventually figured out that she's one of the rare ones that Cerenia made her inappetent. In her case, a quarter mirtazapine pill w/o Cerenia did wonders. We were prescribed a half pill. But tiny Krista only needed a quarter. Feeby may need the full dose. We never did try ondansetron, the other anti-nausea drug out there for cats.

Try the appetite stimulant. If it works, great. If she's still inappetent, you may need to add an anti-nausea.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I used to give Cerenia to Krista; or try to, anyway. But I eventually figured out that she's one of the rare ones that Cerenia made her inappetent. In her case, a quarter mirtazapine pill w/o Cerenia did wonders. We were prescribed a half pill. But tiny Krista only needed a quarter. Feeby may need the full dose. We never did try ondansetron, the other anti-nausea drug out there for cats. Try the appetite stimulant. If it works, great. If she's still inappetent, you may need to add an anti-nausea.
When you say you gave 1/4 Mirt pill to Krista - was that from a 15mg pill (3.75mg), or the 7.5mg pill (1.875mg)? And, how often? Krista was never diagnosed with CKD, correct?

The reason I am asking is because most CKD cats usually need even less than 1.875 mg - and, even then only every 48 hours. It apparently takes a lot longer for the meds to be processed in a cat with kidney impairment and therefore stands a bigger chance of causing adverse effects if given in 'regular' doses.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista was never diagnosed with CKD.

I believe it was 1/4 of the 7.5 mg for 1.875 mg, every other day. She was between 6 and 8 lbs when we used it most with 9 lbs being a good weight for her.

True to its reputation, she would get a mirtz rush. She would be restless, purring and meowing her head off. We figured out quickly that she just wanted to be held with scritches and pets until the rush faded (30 minutes?.) Then she'd jump down and tear into whatever food I had plated for her. She would let me know in an hour if I didn't plate enough.

You would think that the Mirtaz transdermal would be easier to dose (some fraction of the prescribed 1.5 inch ribbon.) But it didn't work out that way. I would use a 1 inch ribbon daily. That worked well enough. But it wasn't nearly as effective or predictable as the pill.